Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite High Speed Halo High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community
High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community The ultimate site for Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 speed runs.
Notices

Old   
Cody Miller Offline
Welcome to Cody

Lightbulb How to make h.264 videos - 07-09-2007 , 11:23 PM

So, we've been pushing for h.264 here on HSH, in part because a properly encoded video can be played just about anywhere, and because the compression is very good, enabling either smaller videos at the same frame size, or a larger frame size at the same datarate as the videos on the site now.

Head on over to http://www.squared5.com/ and download MPEG Streamclip for Mac OS X or for Windows.

Open it up, and drag your speedrun into the window. You can set the in and out point for the encode if you want, by hitting the 'I' or 'O' key, and it will set the point to wherever the playhead is. You can even do this while your run is playing.

From the file menu, choose 'Export to MPEG-4'. Select h.264 from the compression pulldown menu. Move the slider to 100% quality, and check limit data rate, and Use-B frames. If you'd like higher quality video at the expense of encoding time, check multipass.

If your video is interlaced, check the interlaced scalign and de-interlace checkbox. If the source is DV, be sure to choose lower field dominance. For framerate, enter 29.97 for NTSC, and 25 for PAL.

For 320 x 240 video, 256-320kbps should be good. For 480 x 360 video, 500-600 will work well. Audio should be either 96kbps or 128kbps AAC.

Check out the results!

22 seconds, and only 956 K @ 320 x 240! This would make the uprising run about 3.5 megs!
Click

This is more in line with the datarates we've been using for the Sorenson 3 movies, but the framesize is much bigger!
Click

Feel free to ask questions or offer other suggestions.

Old   
Cold-PhuRy Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cold-PhuRy
07-10-2007 , 06:55 AM

hey! second post!
and yeah, quality is really good. should help you guys encode vids sometime.

Old   
BigGruntyThirst Offline
Uh-huh. Yeah dawg.

Send a message via MSN to BigGruntyThirst
07-10-2007 , 03:28 PM

I gotta check out how it works with fraps files. -_-

Edit: So it doesnt work with FRAPS? =[ It wont take WMV or AVI, and WMM2 wont allow you to save a file as any other file-type. =\

Last edited by BigGruntyThirst; 07-10-2007 at 03:34 PM. .

Old   
Gorillaz2189 Offline
The name's Kanockers.

07-10-2007 , 03:42 PM

you can also try this. mac users only

converts to .mp4 for small size and has a h.264 encoding option.

http://www.isquint.org/
Free

http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/
Shareware

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

Send a message via AIM to LotsofLuckSend a message via Skype™ to LotsofLuck
07-10-2007 , 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGruntyThirst
I gotta check out how it works with fraps files. -_-

Edit: So it doesnt work with FRAPS? =[ It wont take WMV or AVI, and WMM2 wont allow you to save a file as any other file-type. =\
We are working on that. For now, just use SUPER (it's really easy and simple to use).

Ok, here's a tutorial how to use SUPER to encode H.264...
  • Look at the top-right corner under the Dark Red colored title labeled Select Output Container. From the drop down bar select mp4
  • Over from that is the Green title labeled Select the Output Codec. From the drop down menu select H.264/AVC
  • On the far right is the Blue title labeled Select Output Audio Codec. From the drop down menu select AAC
  • Under the Video Section, click the button for 320:240 for Video Scale Size, 4:3 under the Aspect column, 29.97 for Frame/Sec, and select 336 from the drop down menu under Bitrate kbps. That’s all that is need for Video
  • Now, under Audio, click 48000 under Sampling Freq, 2 under Channels, and 64 for Bitrate kbps. You should keep the DVD Language Select AudioStream Track # at default.
When you're all done, it should look like this:

If your screen matches this, you’re all set-up. All you need to do know is to transfer you file, which you can do by opening up the file that contains your run, and dragging it into the box that says DROP A VALID MULTIMEDIA FILE HERE

Once you file is inside the box, file should have a check-marked box next to it, and the Encode (Active Files) should be highlighted. Click the Encode (Active Files) button.

Here’s the message you should be getting while SUPER is encoding. It may take a while, but eventually it gets there.

To find the finished movie, simply go to the My Videos folder (or My Computer), and it should be there.

For encoding with MS-mpeq4-v2, Here are the differences:
  • Look at the top-right corner under the Dark Red colored title labeled Select Output Container. From the drop down bar select wmv
  • Over from that is the Green Title labeled Select the Output Codec. From the drop down menu select MS-mpeq4-v2
  • On the far right is the Blue title labeled Select Output Audio Codec. From the drop down menu select mp3
  • Under the Video Section, click the button for 320:240 for Video Scale Size, 4:3 under the Aspect column, 29.97 for Frame/Sec, and select 336 from the drop down menu under Bitrate kbps. That’s all that is need for Video
  • Now, under Audio, click 48000 under Sampling Freq, 2 under Channels, and 64 for Bitrate kbps. You should keep the DVD Language Select AudioStream Track # at default.

The rest is the same as above.

Last edited by LotsofLuck; 12-18-2007 at 01:19 AM. .

Old   
scurty Offline

07-10-2007 , 11:21 PM

Legendary Gravemind in 1:25?!

There's something you're not telling us :P

Cody, I'll try to get all of my future runs in this format.

Old   
Cold-PhuRy Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cold-PhuRy
07-11-2007 , 08:31 AM

erm.. he has H2V?

Old   
KORHAL Offline
Not Alive.

Send a message via AIM to KORHALSend a message via MSN to KORHALSend a message via Skype™ to KORHAL
07-25-2007 , 12:28 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to tell you that the settings for SUPER used HERE also work well with...

.WMV set to MSmpeg4-V2 for [2. Select the OutputVideo Codec.]

with MP3 for Audio for [3. Selec the Output Audio Codec.]

Just thought I'd let you guys know this. I should have my finalized video up soon to post here as proof, but I still have some things to do before I send it to HIH H2 CMP.

OH! Before I go...

Original File-Size as .WMV straight out of Windows Movie Maker 2:
125MB

File Size After Compression with SUPER to .WMV:
27.1MB

KORHAL

Last edited by KORHAL; 07-05-2008 at 11:50 PM. .

Old   
BigGruntyThirst Offline
Uh-huh. Yeah dawg.

Send a message via MSN to BigGruntyThirst
07-25-2007 , 08:23 AM

^^Yeah, I compresse done of my old videos from a 100mb+ size to like 50mb with equal quality. mp4 ftw.

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to NOKYARDSend a message via MSN to NOKYARDSend a message via Yahoo to NOKYARDSend a message via Skype™ to NOKYARD
07-25-2007 , 08:30 PM

MSmpeg4-V2 is the MS tweaked version of h.264 in a mpeg4 container, and they somehow get away with calling it .wmv

so basically what we have here is h.264 compressed video in a mpeg4 container wrapped in a .wmv container - just so MS can put their name on it - it's like having caffeinated caramelized soda water inside a Coke can wrapped in a Pepsi bottle

Old   
KORHAL Offline
Not Alive.

Send a message via AIM to KORHALSend a message via MSN to KORHALSend a message via Skype™ to KORHAL
07-26-2007 , 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOKYARD
MSmpeg4-V2 is the MS tweaked version of h.264 in a mpeg4 container, and they somehow get away with calling it .wmv

so basically what we have here is h.264 compressed video in a mpeg4 container wrapped in a .wmv container - just so MS can put their name on it - it's like having caffeinated caramelized soda water inside a Coke can wrapped in a Pepsi bottle
After seeing the "break out" in the TII-Ep 3 thread, I think MSmpeg4-V2 will do nicely as a .wmv replacement for compression purposes :) I used it for my new video, which is sadly taking a turn for worse and is being delayed again *tear*:(

KORHAL

Old   
scurty Offline

07-26-2007 , 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORHAL
I used it for my new video, which is sadly taking a turn for worse and is being delayed again *tear*
:(
KORHAL
Back to Basics?

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

07-26-2007 , 08:48 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, just wanted to tell you that the settings for SUPER used HERE also work well with...

.WMV set to MSmpeg4-V2 for [2. Select the OutputVideo Codec.]

with MP3 for Audio for [3. Selec the Output Audio Codec.]
That's great, but how do you set MP3 for the Audio? The only settings I see are AAC, AMR Wide-Band and AMR Narrow-Band...

So basically, it's a .mp4 with a .wmv file to please the ignorant masses (specifically the ppl in T11-Ep3)?

Old   
KORHAL Offline
Not Alive.

07-27-2007 , 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurty
Back to Basics?
Oh man, I wish. That video has been under construction for a year or so now. I still have all your footage. Do you want to rally some troops and get some new stuff filmed since I have a sickly High-Quality DVD Recorder now? :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsofLuck
That's great, but how do you set MP3 for the Audio? The only settings I see are AAC, AMR Wide-Band and AMR Narrow-Band...

So basically, it's a .mp4 with a .wmv file to please the ignorant masses (specifically the ppl in T11-Ep3)?
I'll get you a Screen Shot...
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Those are the settings I use for the .MP4 .WMV file type.

KORHAL

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

07-27-2007 , 02:01 AM

Ok, here's the new tutorial:
  • Look at the top-right corner under the Dark Red colored title labeled Select Output Container. From the drop down bar select wmv
  • Over from that is the Green Title labeled Select the Output Codec. From the drop down menu select MS-mpeq4-v2
  • On the far right is the Blue title labeled Select Output Audio Codec. From the drop down menu select mp3

If your screen matches this, you’re all set-up. All you need to do know is to transfer you file, which you can do by opening up the file that contains your run, and dragging it into the box that says DROP A VALID MULTIMEDIA FILE HERE

Once you file is inside the box, file should have a check-marked box next to it, and the Encode (Active Files) should be highlighted. Click the Encode (Active Files) button.

Here’s the message you should be getting while SUPER is encoding. It may take a while, but eventually it gets there.

To find the finished movie, simply go to the My Videos folder (or My Computer), and it should be there.

Last edited by LotsofLuck; 07-31-2007 at 02:01 PM. .

Old   
hæroicraptor Offline
slYkni is my lover

Send a message via AIM to hæroicraptor
07-31-2007 , 02:36 AM

Quote:
If you’re screen matches this, you’re all set-up.
Quote:
If you’re screen matches this
Quote:
If you’re screen
Quote:
If you’re
Quote:
you’re
I am shocked and appalled by your misuse of "you're".

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to NOKYARDSend a message via MSN to NOKYARDSend a message via Yahoo to NOKYARDSend a message via Skype™ to NOKYARD
07-28-2007 , 03:31 AM

Quote:
So basically, it's a .mp4 with a .wmv file to please the ignorant masses
and in typical MS fashion....it's also a non-standard application of mpeg4, and not h.264 as i previously stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Video for Windows-based codec. Non-standard MPEG-4 codec incompatible with the later standardized version of MPEG-4.
so it is a fairly good codec/container, but no where near as good as h.264, one reason these clips look so good is that FRAPS and DVD capture better source material than what we are used to, and we are getting better at squeezing better results out of our equipment

these two clips were captured from a Sony VCR, through my formac studio TVR CC, into iMovie on my eMac and exported as QT .mov video
sample 1
sample 2
this proves that experience and knowledge can have an impact as well

Old   
KORHAL Offline
Not Alive.

07-29-2007 , 12:17 AM

Woot! Awesome LotsOfLuck, thanks for tossing that up in pictures for me ^_^

KORHAL

Old   
KORHAL Offline
Not Alive.

08-04-2007 , 07:03 AM

TUTORIAL FOR COMPRESSING VIDEO WITH:
WMV-MPEG4-V2
USING SUPER

Step 1:
  • Begin by adjusting [1. Select Output Container] towmv.
  • Adjust [2. Select the Output Video Codec] to MS-mpeg4-v2.
  • Adjust [3. Select Output Audio Codec] to mp3.
  • Under VIDEO, you'll want to change Video Scale Size to 320x240.
  • Under VIDEO, you'll want to change Aspect to 4:3.
  • Under VIDEO, you'll want to change Frame/Sec Bitrate kbps to 768.
  • Under VIDEO, you'll want to not have anything checked off.
  • Under AUDIO, you'll want to change Sampling Freq to 4800.
  • Under AUDIO, you'll want to change Channels to 2.
  • Under AUDIO, you'll want to change Bitrate kbps to 64.
  • Under AUDIO, you'll want to change DVD Language Select Video/AudioStream Track # to Default.
  • Under AUDIO, you'll want tonot have anything checked off.
Your SUPER's setup should now look like this:

Step 2:
Go to the Folder where yourVideo Files are.Drag and Drop one of them onto SUPER. SUPER should now look like this:

Step 3:
The next thing you'll have to do is tell SUPER where to put your Converted Files. I suggest making them their own Folder. So first, Right-Click anywhere in the SUPER Window and click on Output File Saving Management.

Step 4:
Select, or create the Folder you want your Converted Files to go to and click SAVE Changes.

Step 5:
Now that everything is set to the way we want it, we're going to want to save the Configuration. To do so, Right-Click anywhere on the SUPER Window again, but this time, click on Export (Save) A SUPER "Settings Profile"

Step 6:
Select, or create the Folder you want your Configuration to be saved in and click Save.

Step 7:
Now that everything is in it's proper state, you can now click that oh-so-tempting Encode (Active Files) button!

Step 8:
You should notice that SUPER gets to work right away, and when it does, things will take some time depending on your PC and how big the files are. Once it is finished, you should see no activity coming from SUPER, and you can now go right to that Folder you told it to put your Converted Files into and view them.
I hope this long TUT has helped you gain control of your needs for Compressing video files with .WMV. Thank you for reading.

KORHAL

Last edited by KORHAL; 07-13-2008 at 04:43 PM. .

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

08-04-2007 , 01:02 PM

Quote:
Under VIDEO, you'll want to change Frame/Sec Bitrate kbps to 768.

Wait, is it 336 kbps or 786 kbps?

Thanks for the extra part Output File Mangement, I haven't found that one yet.

When you've fixed the kbps thingy, I could copy these to the front page if you wish...