Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite HIH Website News and Announcements HIH Website News and Announcements
HIH Website News and Announcements Site specific information as well as important special announcements will be posted here.
Notices

Old   
Ducain Offline
Ahhhhh....yeeeaaahhhh

Ending it all on a perfect 7 - 03-18-2011 , 10:45 AM

On April 6 2004, a tiny speck of a website was launched to show off some Halo trick videos - pretty much a little boat floating in the ocean of HBO. Soon after, a phpBB forum followed, with a handful of people signing up who just loved to hang out and chat about Halo 1 trickery.

Then came Halo 2 - the explosive growth in traffic, great new community members, excellent Halo trickery, and plenty of madness. Then Halo 3, and...

Most of you know the rest of the story, and so here we are. However, this year on April 6 - exactly 7 years to the day since HIH began - we're heading into cryo. It's been a long and amazing trip, but it's time that HighImpactHalo draws to a close.

The decision has been in the works for some time, and is ultimately made by me, but with the counsel of the HIH admin team - and it's a good decision. Many won't like it, but it's time. In web years, our site is like 487 years old or something like that.

The good thing is that we're not just 'shutting down' - we're going into cryo, following in the footsteps of a certain Halo character we kinda like. HIH, complete and entire, will be frozen on April 6, and will be locked but viewable, including all the content. Forum posts, archive forums, all of our huge HIH Trick Video Archives - everything will remain available as a testament to all the great people who have spent time here and contributed their talent to the Halo community.

To make this happen, we've come full circle - back to HBO where we first started. We've partnered with Louis Wu, who has graciously agreed to host every single bit of the content of HIH going forward. Most of our stuff is already there, but no 'switches' have been flipped yet. That will come later. I'm also maintaining a separate and complete copy of everything, with build packages, as protection against any sort of unexpected content loss.

Making this choice wasn't easy, because HIH after 7 years almost seems to be a part of my DNA, even though my personal contribution here has been little in recent times. I literally could not be more thankful for the relationships that have been created over the years in our little corner of the interwebz, and the sheer volume of FUN that this group of people helped to create for many of us.

SO, the entire point here is to the give the community some notice - slightly more than two weeks - and I would ask that everyone use this post as a place to drop by and writeup some favorite HIH memories, hat tips to past members, etc.

NOTE: for those of you viewing this on the front page of the site, simply click the 'comment' link below the news post to be taken to the forum post.

The one rule is that we keep it positive - we'll be removing anything that isn't. Let's take the old girl out on a good note.

Thanks everyone - I'll post another note on April 6.

-Duke

Ducain - HIH Admin - Ducain@gmail.com

Old   
AllShallPerish Offline

Location: I've walked down the road just to find that I'm alone.
Send a message via ICQ to AllShallPerishSend a message via AIM to AllShallPerish
03-18-2011 , 11:08 AM

This is a very sad day.
Duke, I totally respect your decision, everything has to end at some point and HIH has reached this point now.
I will edit this post when I find the time to write up a few things I expirienced here.

ASP

EDIT: I feel like I should edit this post now that HIH is only a few hours from going into cyro. I cannot find the right words to express my feelings towards this place. I'm close to shed tears.
Fortunatlely, I have quite a lot great memories and experiences I was able to wittness here and I'm very gratefull for the past 4.5 years I spent here. I found a nice little corner of the internet here with some of the nicest people I ever got to meet!
Thanks to all of you guys, it's been a pleasure to be part of this incredible community called HIH! I <3 all of you guys! :'(

Last edited by AllShallPerish; 04-05-2011 at 07:45 PM. .

Old   
Angels Of Chaos Offline

03-18-2011 , 11:19 AM

Very sad indeed. Goodbye everyone. This site helped me learn interesting things. Sad to see it go. :/

Old   
Joshington Offline

Send a message via AIM to Joshington
03-18-2011 , 11:27 AM

It was looking this way for awhile, I can understand where you are coming from Duke.

Guess this is the end... wishing it was 07 again

Joshington

Old   
Ignatius Offline

03-18-2011 , 11:31 AM

Well Duke, that's a great early birthday present.

Na I keed, I've had fun on this forum since I've joined, it's been looked at more than once a day, every day. I hope things go well for you after all this is over.

Peace out.

Old   
Ducain Offline
Ahhhhh....yeeeaaahhhh

03-18-2011 , 11:37 AM

Just thinking about how much the net world has changed in the last 7 years. You have to realize, we launched this site almost a full year before the arrival of YouTube. At that point, the only way to allow people to see your video was to find someone with server space to host it.

Ah, the (slightly good) old days.

:-)

Old   
Joshington Offline

03-18-2011 , 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducain View Post
Just thinking about how much the net world has changed in the last 7 years. You have to realize, we launched this site almost a full year before the arrival of YouTube. At that point, the only way to allow people to see your video was to find someone with server space to host it.

Ah, the (slightly good) old days.

:-)
we go the way of mythica lol

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

Send a message via AIM to LotsofLuckSend a message via Skype™ to LotsofLuck
03-18-2011 , 11:38 AM

Thanks Ducain for one hell of a ride. I can definitely say that by joining HIH in June 2006, this website has shaped my experience for Halo and beyond. I for one loved watching Halo launching videos not only for the tricks, but my music library and tasts have definitely expanded as well. Working at HighSpeedHalo has been a blast and the friends I've met and worked with there are pretty amazing.

It's pretty insane to look back at the long history HIH has been through. Although I was only here for part of it's lifetime, I can definitely tell how things have changed over the years. I'm glad that I could be part of it.

Thanks again Ducain!

Old   
Decommissioner Offline

03-18-2011 , 11:51 AM

Sad to see it go. Though I can't say this is unexpected (things have been pretty slow around here these days).

Old   
Rorcin Offline

Send a message via AIM to RorcinSend a message via MSN to Rorcin
03-18-2011 , 12:18 PM

This deeply saddens me, however it was inevitable :(

Old   
IILilNinjiII Offline

03-18-2011 , 12:24 PM

Well... I'm somewhat sad to see this go.

HIH became a small routine in my life to where I looked forward for anything new. It brings a feel of adrenaline when you see things like LBYL 2 or even Z2 posted. This site literally improved and renovated my main goal which was to meet the top notch tricksters. Well, I wasn't here for 7 years but I got to share it for the 2 years I've been here. Ive had some laughs here and thanks to this site i would be now where that I am right now. I've met some of the coolest people that I don't think I would have ever met anywhere else; however, I guess HIH will completely stay at a stalemate here, sadly :(...

Good-bye and thank you HIH!

For the TJ community: I think we should look at the H3F thread idea again, it 'twas a good idea and it sounds even better now after reading this.

-Ninji

Old   
Ducain Offline
Ahhhhh....yeeeaaahhhh

03-18-2011 , 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IILilNinjiII View Post
Well... I'm somewhat sad to see this go.

HIH became a small routine in my life to where I looked forward for anything new. It brings a feel of adrenaline when you see things like LBYL 2 or even Z2. This site literally improved and renovated my main goal which was to meet the top notch tricksters. Well, I wasn't here for 7 years but I got to share it for the 2 years I've been here. Ive had some laughs here and thanks to this site i would be now where that I am right now. I've met some of the coolest people that I don't think I would have ever met anywhere else; however, I guess HIH will completely stay at a stalemate here, sadly :(...

Good-bye and thank you HIH!

For the TJ community: I think we should look at the H3F thread idea again, it 'twas a good idea and it sounds even better now reading this.

-Ninji

-Ninji
I believe some folks here have a few things in the works for the trick jumping crowd.

Old   
AllShallPerish Offline

Location: I've walked down the road just to find that I'm alone.
Send a message via ICQ to AllShallPerishSend a message via AIM to AllShallPerish
03-18-2011 , 12:29 PM

Quote:
I believe some folks here have a few things in the works for the trick jumping crowd.
I can confirm that

ASP

EDIT BY DUKE:
I'll do all I can to promote projects launched by our people here, even after the site is frozen I can add links pointing to these projects.

Old   
Resix Offline

Send a message via AIM to Resix
03-18-2011 , 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllShallPerish View Post
I can confirm that

ASP

EDIT BY DUKE:
I'll do all I can to promote projects launched by our people here, even after the site is frozen I can add links pointing to these projects.
I can second this.

Old   
ferrari Offline
DELETE COOKIES?!

Send a message via AIM to ferrari
03-18-2011 , 01:00 PM

It's hard to believe that HIH will be going away; I have checked this site virtually every days since I found it back in eight grade. One of my favorite memories is seeing Due get the banshee on the Maw, and my abusing of Sergeant Johnson. (also: OMG at Windows media player and Windows movie maker)

I'll miss checking this website in my normal routine when I start surfing. Guess I'll just have to get used to Youtube and facebook filling that void.

Thanks for all of the memories, and using HIH as a segue in meeting one of my best friends.

Old   
Joshington Offline

03-18-2011 , 12:58 PM

Quote:
oh you would be surprised...

Old   
MrMonopoly Offline

03-18-2011 , 01:11 PM

We should most definitely create a final collaboration video. I know that many have failed before, and we have very short notice, but anybody that has any halo related clips should get them to somebody that will edit the whole thing. I know that I am going to start tricking like crazy over the next couple weeks to try to get something worth while finished before the site closes.

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

03-18-2011 , 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonopoly View Post
We should most definitely create a final collaboration video. I know that many have failed before, and we have very short notice, but anybody that has any halo related clips should get them to somebody that will edit the whole thing. I know that I am going to start tricking like crazy over the next couple weeks to try to get something worth while finished before the site closes.
T2T again?

And Cairo Station cutscene room, along with Grumpy, Xlax, and yes, even Tricker Against Da Odds (3rd time is the charm, is it not?)

And anyone else and everyone else too!

Old   
MadRoX Offline

Send a message via AIM to MadRoXSend a message via MSN to MadRoXSend a message via Skype™ to MadRoX
03-18-2011 , 01:33 PM

As one of the very first registered members when this site opened, like to just drop my thanks, was good times.

[-TLG-]MadRoX in the v1 forums

first registered as Jamie Maddrox on opening day.

Old   
ViviD Offline

03-18-2011 , 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRoX View Post
As one of the very first registered members when this site opened, like to just drop my thanks, was good times.

You got one last trick in you?

Tags
we'll miss you hih!