Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Technical Support
Technical Support All threads related to console/computer issues, movie making hardware/software, etc. can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
Turmolt Offline
Call Me Captain

Send a message via AIM to Turmolt
Learning C++ - 01-18-2007 , 11:07 PM

Well, I'm interested in learning C++. I know of the site:

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

But their technique of teaching it is out of what I enjoy reading.

I'd like to know some sites with tutorials for learning C++ from the VERY beginning. I'll stick to this site if it's the best, but if it's not then I'd like another site please.

If you're interested as in why I want to learn this, I'm going to get a head start in going into programming in video games, AI and such.

Thanks.

Old   
UnfixedSNIPERJ Offline
P'Zoned!

Send a message via AIM to UnfixedSNIPERJSend a message via MSN to UnfixedSNIPERJSend a message via Yahoo to UnfixedSNIPERJSend a message via Skype™ to UnfixedSNIPERJ
01-19-2007 , 01:08 AM

If it is gaming you want to go into, learn C#, C++ is helpful, but a lot of games are made in C#.

Old   
King_Bender Offline

Send a message via AIM to King_BenderSend a message via MSN to King_Bender
01-19-2007 , 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfixedSNIPERJ
If it is gaming you want to go into, learn C#, C++ is helpful, but a lot of games are made in C#.
Incorrect, mostly all games you've played have been programmed in C++ with a direct X package (Direct X9 is the latest)

There are a lot of aspects to C++, and really isn't a nice language to be your first programming language.

To get the basic things, I'd learn visual basic (6.0)

Old   
Daleks United Offline
Plug 'n' Pray

Send a message via MSN to Daleks UnitedSend a message via Skype™ to Daleks United
01-19-2007 , 06:08 PM

Although c# could be argued to be slighly better for games learning - it has XNA for free download, with lots of support and is mid way between VB and c++, so you could switch either way without too many problems - VB->C++ is a large leap.

VB 6 is probably easier to begin with, but costs money. VB.net is free, but is a bit odd in terms of VBness. You can also preactive VB (6) as VBA, built into Access,Word,Excel etc.

To err is human, to screw things up completely requires a computer.
Forum Problems? Spam? Need help? Think I've been a harsh, evil, unfair git? PM me

Old   
King_Bender Offline

Send a message via AIM to King_BenderSend a message via MSN to King_Bender
01-19-2007 , 08:39 PM

I started with VB, went to JAVA, then moved onto MFC C++, then Direct X C++.

I have tried a bit of C#.NET, it was alright, but too much like a basic version of C++.

C++ has the power to do next to anything, no joke. Operating systems have been written in C++, as you can call any API (With most languages), but use the API's raw library, insted of sticking to the IDE's syntax.

Edit: Oh yeah, for basic games programming, you should check out Blitz3D:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/file/get.p...z3DDemo183.exe

Old   
sonicvanajr Offline

01-19-2007 , 11:02 PM

C here, but then again I'm a unix nerd.

As for learning materials, I would suggest getting a book, I find that learning off of online text is a bit harder then having a book right by you, but that's just me