Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo Reach Forum Halo: Reach General Discussion
Halo: Reach General Discussion For news, updates, and Beta discussion Halo: Reach, the definitive game of the Halo series.
Notices

Old   
Tech Artist Offline
Goodbye HIH! <3

Send a message via AIM to Tech ArtistSend a message via MSN to Tech Artist
Long Night Of Solace Broke by Blue Ninja at HBO - 02-23-2011 , 09:26 PM

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/...l?read=1052996

The scenes your about to see here may ruin the game for you next time you play them(no not cause of spoilers though it may be one to some people).

It's pretty interesting to see that these scenes weren't just video files on the disc, though at the same time that surprises me. Why keep the filming locations on the disc, wouldn't that be using up space that could be for something else? I could be wrong though as have little knowledge in that area.

Old   
Spartan-043 Offline

02-23-2011 , 11:21 PM

Wow, that's literally a whole new perspective on how that scene looks. Simply because the cinematic lighting isn't being used on it, but then you see that it's all inside of a square room. I'd love to get to a place like this on foot.

Old   
Man Demon Offline

02-23-2011 , 11:22 PM

I think rendering it in real-time within the game engine saves on space on the disc than having chucks of the disc occupied with a video files. That and this is the only way it allows the scenes to be changed dynamically with the custom player model.

Old   
The Voice Of Truth Offline

02-24-2011 , 08:07 PM

Yay, perspective is fun.

Last edited by The Voice Of Truth; 02-24-2011 at 09:20 PM. .

Old   
Man Demon Offline

02-24-2011 , 09:23 PM

I have to admit, that is my favorite helmet for those cutscenes.

Old   
The n00banator Offline

Send a message via AIM to The n00banator
02-24-2011 , 11:39 PM

It's no secret Bungie uses custom animations in gameplay. Half cut-scenes in Halo 3 keep going after you skip them, only without the part where you do special animations.
As much as the game is killed by doing this, how exactly does it work again? I really want to break cut-scenes on most levels, especially Noble Actual.

Old   
The Voice Of Truth Offline

02-25-2011 , 01:33 AM

The LNoS one was found in pan-cam, you can't move your camera during the cutscene itself. My Noble Actual one just has a wider FoV, you can't actually do that, I was just showing an example of how they use a mixture of in-game assets with overlayed backgrounds to save space.