Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Technical Support
Technical Support All threads related to console/computer issues, movie making hardware/software, etc. can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
grumpy Offline

DVD Drive - 03-26-2011 , 07:17 PM

Got an old 360, no warranties. I installed a new Samsung TS-H943A drive. I had no idea I would need a drive key. The people that sent the DVD gave a link jungleflasher.net/downloads.html. They gave me a file to download to my computer and no further instructions.

Any ideas?

Old   
wizdum Offline
Warning Explosives in Use

Send a message via AIM to wizdumSend a message via MSN to wizdum
03-28-2011 , 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Got an old 360, no warranties. I installed a new Samsung TS-H943A drive. I had no idea I would need a drive key. The people that sent the DVD gave a link jungleflasher.net/downloads.html. They gave me a file to download to my computer and no further instructions.

Any ideas?
Here ya go:
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topi...jungleflasher/

Theres a .pdf download with instructions in there. Hopefully you still have the old drive, and you can still get it working enough to read the key.

Old   
grumpy Offline

03-28-2011 , 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdum View Post
Here ya go:
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topi...jungleflasher/

Theres a .pdf download with instructions in there. Hopefully you still have the old drive, and you can still get it working enough to read the key.
Thanks, just what I need.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

Send a message via MSN to HaLo2FrEeEk
04-01-2011 , 12:18 PM

If you replaced the samsung drive with one of the same kind, you can simply swap the circuit boards and it'll work.

Old   
grumpy Offline

04-01-2011 , 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo2FrEeEk View Post
If you replaced the samsung drive with one of the same kind, you can simply swap the circuit boards and it'll work.
I would have but there's like 8 wires to solder.

Old   
ferrari Offline
DELETE COOKIES?!

Send a message via AIM to ferrari
04-02-2011 , 01:07 PM

Quote:
You gotta learn somehao.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

04-02-2011 , 04:36 PM

Quote:
If they're both Samsung drives, then there's no wires to solder, just a few ribbon cables that need to be unplugged from the main board. I've taken it apart before, I'll do it again and take some pictures. Hold up.

Here we go, it's really easy. There are 4 ribbon cables that need to be taken out of the board, one of them has to be done first since it's the shortest and holds the board down, the other three can be done in any order. Start by taking your drive apart so that you can see the circuit board on the bottom, you should see a little black clip, circled here:

Push that clip in the direction of the arrow until the board is loose, then gently lift it. There will be a very short ribbon cable attached on the edge that the clip was near, circled here:

Gently wiggle the little handle hanging off the edge of the ribbon to loosen it. Once it's free the board can be lifted up to reveal 3 more ribbons:

These all need to be taken out in the direction of the arrows. Careful with the middle one, it's a pain, but it can be done. Once they're free:

PROFIT! Just reverse the process with the other board. So basically you need to take the boards out from both the new drive and the old drive (don't mix em up) and put the board from the old drive into the new drive, replacing the new drive's board. If they really are both samsung drives, this will work. I've done it. The reason this is required is because the DVD drive has a key that ties it to the Xbox motherboard, the key is on the drive board, so with Samsung's it's as easy as just swapping the boards. This isn't possible with the other drive manufacturers, with those you would need to flash.

Last edited by HaLo2FrEeEk; 04-02-2011 at 05:38 PM. .

Old   
grumpy Offline

04-02-2011 , 07:53 PM

The old DVD must not be a samsung because it definitely has 9 wires coming out of the card that are soldered. I'd show a pic but my imageshack connection is not working right now.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

04-02-2011 , 11:14 PM

Does the drive cover say Samsung on it? The other options are Hitachi, BENQ, and Phillips:

I have a box with a Sammy drive and one with a Hitachi drive. I'm not sure what my Slim has, haven't dared take it apart yet.

Old   
grumpy Offline

04-05-2011 , 04:27 AM

Rats, it's a Philips.

Does anyone know of a good XP fixit program? My disk is scratched and my comp is getting sick.

Old   
wizdum Offline
Warning Explosives in Use

Send a message via AIM to wizdumSend a message via MSN to wizdum
04-05-2011 , 10:38 AM

Quote:
Rats, it's a Philips.

Does anyone know of a good XP fixit program? My disk is scratched and my comp is getting sick.
For cases like that, i'd say that you are morally ok if you pirate a copy of XP (or just borrow one from a friend) and use your existing license key.

Old   
ferrari Offline
DELETE COOKIES?!

Send a message via AIM to ferrari
04-05-2011 , 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdum View Post
For cases like that, i'd say that you are morally ok if you pirate a copy of XP (or just borrow one from a friend) and use your existing license key.
Who hasn't already done this?
Oh wait, grumpy hasn't.

Old   
grumpy Offline

04-05-2011 , 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari View Post
Who hasn't already done this?
Oh wait, grumpy hasn't.
Lol, when I try to use another disk and I put in my key it only works for 30 days, then I have to register and they kick me off. Then I'm screwed, at least that's what I thought would happen.

I thought the Key went with a particular disk. Besides, it's a repair I want so I had asked about a fix-it program.