Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo Reach Forum Halo: Reach General Discussion
Halo: Reach General Discussion For news, updates, and Beta discussion Halo: Reach, the definitive game of the Halo series.
Notices

Old   
repivemag Offline

Send a message via MSN to repivemag
04-02-2011 , 03:10 PM

....I thought it was a joke since the post you made says April fools but I thought that was just acknowledging what day it was. My bad, and now I feel really dumb. In regards to your site, ya I think it looks great. It's really clean while holding a lot of aesthetics.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

Send a message via MSN to HaLo2FrEeEk
04-02-2011 , 05:35 PM

I'm glad to hear that. When I'm done with this and another project I'm working on, I'm planning a redesign of my actual site, infectionist.com. It's definitely in need of one.

Edit: Can anyone help me think of a clever snappy title for the service? I'm pretty uncreative when it comes to that.

Last edited by HaLo2FrEeEk; 04-02-2011 at 06:44 PM. .

Old   
Man Demon Offline

04-03-2011 , 10:28 AM

Clever snappy title for the service? You mean the challenges one? IDK maybe: Efficient Challenges Initiative, Challenge Tips Initiative, Challenge Tips Database or CTD. Those are just off the top of my head.

Anyway:

One Spartan Army - 2000cR
Kill 400 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.
- This will be a couple games, so probably go with Score Attack variants as they are the fastest way to do it. Be sure to do at least one 2X Score Attack though as they are the easiest way to get Points, Points challenge today too.

L.D. Spear - 5000cR
Complete Tip of the Spear, without dying, on Legendary with Mythic, Thunderstorm, Tilt, and Tough Luck on.
- Be sure you have the right skulls on and that it is on Legendary. Remember to go slow and probably trade out for Covenant weapons as soon as you can because of Tilt. Take out the AA Guns with vehicles from a distance to save yourself the trouble and remember if you do die, you can go through the level until the last checkpoint, save and quit, then resume to finish it off and still get it.

Points, Points - 1750cR
Score 20,000 points in a Firefight Matchmaking game.
- 2X Score Attack is the best way as it gives the most points in Score Attack mode.

I'm Rubber, You're Glue - 1100cR
Earn 2 sticky grenade Kills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.
- Invasion could be good as the Elites get starting stickies and Humans don't start off with armor lock. Team Slayer can work too if you know the grenades spawns well. If you can get Elite Slayer you are even better off, though don't try and stick anyone with a Plasma Rifle, as they have Armor Lock. Team Objective can also be a good idea as often there is no Armor Lock and the focus, of the game at least, isn't kills.

Old   
Tech Artist Offline
Goodbye HIH! <3

Send a message via AIM to Tech ArtistSend a message via MSN to Tech Artist
04-03-2011 , 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Demon View Post
L.D. Spear - 5000cR
Complete Tip of the Spear, without dying, on Legendary with Mythic, Thunderstorm, Tilt, and Tough Luck on.
- Be sure you have the right skulls on and that it is on Legendary. Remember to go slow and probably trade out for Covenant weapons as soon as you can because of Tilt. Take out the AA Guns with vehicles from a distance to save yourself the trouble and remember if you do die, you can go through the level until the last checkpoint, save and quit, then resume to finish it off and still get it.
By the last checkpoint, do you mean that cut scene glitch(like how you boost Demon and Flawless Cowboy) or do you mean the very last checkpoint you get before hitting the button in Spire?

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

04-03-2011 , 01:12 PM

It's the last checkpoint right before you end the level. I'm not sure if you get one after you kill the last sword elite though.

Old   
Tech Artist Offline
Goodbye HIH! <3

04-03-2011 , 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo2FrEeEk View Post
It's the last checkpoint right before you end the level. I'm not sure if you get one after you kill the last sword elite though.
I GOT IT! =D For me, I killed everything on the Spire and got no checkpoint so I had to go back down using my Jet Pack, kill the Turret(had a Fuel Rod Gun and just unloaded on it as I went down), land, and then it gave me my checkpoint. Then Save -> Quit -> Resume and finished the level without dying. Interesting thing happened, even though I had killed everyone on top of the Spire, when I resumed the level and went back up, there were a couple Grunts that had re-spawned. Didn't see where they were because they weren't near the switch but I heard them and saw em on my Radar. Glad to be done with that though and I got my Weekly to!

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

04-03-2011 , 03:53 PM

Last time this challenge popped up I got really lucky. It still took me about an hour and a half, but I was having the hardest time with the sword elite. Luckily I had a jetpack, so I lured him to the edge of the Spire and let him lunge at me. I jumped off the edge and saved myself with the jetpack...he wasn't as lucky. :D It was fun to watch him fall. Hopefully I'll get lucky like that again, I'm going for the challenge now.

Also, Tech Artist, you just gave me an idea to expand the Challenge project. People will submit tips and others can comment on them to clarify details and whatnot, like you did by asking about the checkpoint, that was perfect. But I don't want comments to be used for posts like your previous one, so I might add another layer for people to post their success stories. Maybe I'll just have a forum linked into it...idk, but I'll figure it out later, the idea is in my brain now, locked away tight.

Edit: Here's an interesting tidbit I just learned. I've been recording challenges for 59 days. At 4 challenges per day (not counting weekly challenges) I should have 236 challenges recorded, but I've only got 155. This means that the actual number of challenges is only 65.6% of what it should be. If my math is right, that means that challenges are reused about 35% of the time. Also, all of today's challenges were used within the last 59 days, in fact the oldest one is One Spartan Army, which I first recorded on 2/10/11, the newest is Points, Points, which I first recorded on 3/31/11, just 4 days ago!

Edit 2: Another interesting bit, I just did a query to find out the frequency of the different challenge images. As far as I know, no one has yet figured out exactly how these images are assigned to challenges, but I can at least take a look to see how common each different image is. We'll ignore image 1 since we know that it's always used for weekly challenges, we'll look at images 0, 2, 3, and 4:

0: Used 23 times out of 155, 14.8%
2: Used 21 times out of 155, 13.5%
3: Used 41 times out of 155, 26.5%
4: Used 70 times out of 155, 45.2%

Maybe when I get a hundred or so days recorded I'll have a large enough set of data to more accurately determine exactly how the images are chosen for challenges.

Challenges are often reused with different criteria than before, so for example you might get The Little Guys where you need to kill 75 grunts, and another where you need to kill 200. The most common example of this is with the challenge Shootin' and Lootin', for which I have seen 5 different variants ranging from 100 kills to 400 kills.

The average credit reward for daily challenges is 1,591.8387 with the highest being 5,000 and the lowest being 1,000 (remember this is only for the last 59 days). Average for weekly challenges is 12,919.6667 with the highest at 18,000 and the lowest at 7,777.

Old   
Man Demon Offline

04-04-2011 , 09:57 AM

Well, you now have a new newest challenge.

Weekly Challenge:

Long Night of Solace: LASO - 14000cR
Complete Long Night of Solace, Legendary, All Skulls On (LASO).
- Remember, you probably don't need Blind on again.
I highly highly suggest doing this with a friend, one onu friendo as with each additional player the game makes it harder, so two good people is a good balance. HBO has a 3 Page Guide for this HERE. Main reason I suggest a friend is the Space Battle section, as you can easily get overwhelmed and then you have to restart from the beginning.

Daily Challenges:

Gunslinger - 2250cR
Kill 75 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.
- About 3-8 games depending on skill and what you play. The easiest will be Grifball as longer games have lots and lots of kills, but don't be discouraged as you can play whatever you want though you should try and get this done as fast as possible in case you're going for the Weekly today.

Flat Tire - 1125cR
Kill 10 enemy vehicles in Firefight Matchmaking.
- Holdout in Sniper Attack or 2X Score Attack. Sniper Attack is preferred as it takes exactly 2 shots to kill the Banshees that fly in. 2X Score Attack takes a lot more finesse. Grab the Sprint Loadout, then check the Ordnance for a Sniper Rifle, if there is trade out your DMR for the Sniper. When Banshees fly in use short controlled bursts of AR to damage the Banshee a bit, then unload a Sniper Round in, if you don't damage it with the AR first one Sniper round kills the driver and not the Banshee. If there is no Sniper in the Ordnance, well Damage the Banshee a lot with the AR and finish off with the DMR, but not sure if this even works, if it doesn't try to Plasma Pistol then Stick it.

The Little Guys - 1500cR
Kill 200 Grunts in Campaign today on Normal or harder.
- The Package Rally Point Bravo or Nightfall Rally Point Bravo. The Package has a slightly longer setup, but more enemies, while Nightfall has a short setup and fewer enemies.
-- The Package is probably the way to go, sprint to the rock structure between Halsey's Lab and the first dropoff of Grunts and hide until a checkpoint, pop out and kill them, reload checkpoint and repeat.
-- Nightfall, sprint to the bridge and beat down the Elite, then back up off the bridge to get a checkpoint. Kill all the Grunts, reload, repeat a needed.

Legendary Friends - 2500cR
Complete any Campaign mission on Legendary in co-op mode.
- Because of this challenge, today may be the best day to do the Weekly. Otherwise get a friend and run through one of the easy missions quick. Probably Winter Contingency.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

04-04-2011 , 03:24 PM

Alright guys, I'm sorry but it's not looking like I'm gonna be able to finish it by the 6th. I've just got too much left to do. I'll keep my twitter updated with my progress so if you want to keep track, just follow @InfectedTweets. I'm struggling with the user system.

Also, something happened for the first time today. Up until now I thought that image 1 was only used for weekly challenges, but it's being used for "Legendary Friends", which is a daily..hmmm...

Edit: Whoa whoa whoa, what just happened. I went into Fiesta Attack on Holdout, got the sniper and was able to take out two banshees. I know that I destroyed the banshees before I killed the driver because it only took one shot...but I didn't get the credit for the kills. Here's the game that shows that I did indeed kill the banshees:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Ga...er=HaLo2FrEeEk

Last edited by HaLo2FrEeEk; 04-04-2011 at 05:24 PM. .

Old   
Man Demon Offline

04-04-2011 , 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo2FrEeEk View Post
Alright guys, I'm sorry but it's not looking like I'm gonna be able to finish it by the 6th. I've just got too much left to do. I'll keep my twitter updated with my progress so if you want to keep track, just follow @InfectedTweets. I'm struggling with the user system.

Also, something happened for the first time today. Up until now I thought that image 1 was only used for weekly challenges, but it's being used for "Legendary Friends", which is a daily..hmmm...

Edit: Whoa whoa whoa, what just happened. I went into Fiesta Attack on Holdout, got the sniper and was able to take out two banshees. I know that I destroyed the banshees before I killed the driver because it only took one shot...but I didn't get the credit for the kills. Here's the game that shows that I did indeed kill the banshees:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Ga...er=HaLo2FrEeEk
Sorry bro, those stats say you killed two Banshee Pilots. Fiesta Attack does double damage like 2X Score Attack, so a single Sniper round will only kill the Pilot and the vehicle won't count. You need to put some additional damage into the Banshee before using the Sniper Rifle. AR works well, so does the Turret (Use short bursts until the Banshees makes that damage pop sound).

Also, if you happen to have a listing of all the challenges and their symbol, I can look it over and see if I can discern a pattern.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

04-04-2011 , 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Demon View Post
Also, if you happen to have a listing of all the challenges and their symbol, I can look it over and see if I can discern a pattern.
I've done my best already and for the most part, there is a good pattern, but a few stray challenges throw it off. I'll see if I can get a page together that lets you view all challenges by their image.

Old   
Tech Artist Offline
Goodbye HIH! <3

04-05-2011 , 12:07 AM

OMG. This weekly was a pain in the ass. o_O

Here is my game: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Ga...=Tech%20Artist

3 hours and 9 mins to complete that mission(that is with skipping the beginning fight by running along the shoreline). 4 people makes the game ridiculously hard. We were all mentally and physically exhausted after beating that level. If Blind had been required, I don't think we would have been able to do it. In the end it was still a lot of fun even though it got very very frustrating most of the time. =)

Interesting note about our game: We got to the room where you have to activate the switch to put the Corvette on a refueling path for the Super Carrier(also the location of the BOB). We spent a good half an hour to 45 minutes just trying to figure out how to beat it. We tried every path just about to sneak up on the Elites. Eventually we all went down one path. We all crouch walked to the left, behind the Grunts, and got just about near the Gold Elite manning the terminal. When the 2nd Gold Elite came along, 2 of my friends jumped up and assassinated the 2 Gold Elites, while me and my other friend went after a Camo Elite above and the Gold BOB.

So basically in one fell swoop we eliminated 4 Elites. We then started killing Grunts while working our way as a group toward the other 2 Camo Elites(which we took out quickly). Of course, to my dismay, we still had a quarter of the level left, lol.

It took us many tries to get that to work. I'd say like 20. Mainly because of the Marines, the Elites taking different routes and seeing us or even coming up behind us somehow, and sometimes we screwed up. Lots of deaths on that mission. If we hadn't skipped the beginning, that time would have easily been 4 hours or more.

FrEeEK: Glad I could help! =) Looking forward to seeing your site!

Old   
Man Demon Offline

04-05-2011 , 10:53 AM

Covenant-cide - 1100cR
Kill 120 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.
- You will get this while going for Be Their Huckleberry. Not that hard, shouldn't take more than 2 games of Score Attack Playlist.

Be Their Huckleberry - 1500cR
Kill 200 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with the pistol.
- 2X Score Attack or Gruntpocalypse. Trying to snipe with the Magnum may be kinda hard in Gruntpocalypse, so you may have to let them get closer, so you may be better off in 2X Score Attack because the stopping power is great with the double damage.

Iron Will - 2500cR
Complete a Campaign mission alone on Heroic or harder with the Iron Skull on.
- Nightfall or Winter Contingency. Nightfall is faster, but Winter Contingency can be slogged through more consistently for more novice players.

Put Your Quarter Up - 1750cR
Complete 15 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.
- It's a Tuesday, so depending on how much time you have you may wish to go for the shorter Grifball and Living Dead Playlists.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

04-05-2011 , 09:32 PM

I'm not sure by April 6th, Duke meant that the site will be open through April 6th, or if it will shut down on April 6th (as in midnight). Regardless, I want to put this in here so future generations will see it and be redirected to the right place:

I've officially announced the project I've been working on. Short of writing it all out again, it's basically a way for the community to share their tips and tricks on the best way to complete challenges. It's totally community driven; users write the tips, comment on the tips, and vote on the tips. Higher-voted tips will be pushed to the top to make sure that the first thing you see is the best information, determined by the community. You can read a little more about it here:

http://reachchallenges.infectionist.com/info.php

As of this post, it's not done...honestly it's not near done. I've got a lot to do, but I'm working diligently on it. You can watch my progress on the main page, here:

http://reachchallenges.infectionist.com/

And for more information, be sure to follow the Twitter @InfectedTweets. I've been keeping it updated with my progress and things related to (and not related to) the project. It's the best way to stay up to date.

Old   
Man Demon Offline

04-06-2011 , 10:08 AM

Gunslinger - 2750cR
Kill 150 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.
- 6-15 games depending on skill and gametype. Grifball is a great way to get lots of kills, but Multi-Team is pretty good too.

Killagruntjaro! - 1100cR
Earn 10 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game.
- Gruntpocalypse. If you can't get 10 multikills you have a problem. Grunts spawn and travel in groups of 4, so you should be able to get at least a triple in most groups. Do that to 5 groups and you're set.

Just a Shower - 2000cR
Complete any Campaign mission on Normal or harder with Thunderstorm on.
- Nightfall or Winter Contingency. Again Nightfall can be faster, but Winter Contingency is a good backup if you aren't used to it yet.

Triple Thrill - 2000cR
Earn any 3 Sprees in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.
- Play Living Dead.
- Get 5 shotgun kills in one life.
- ???
- Profit.