Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Technical Support
Technical Support All threads related to console/computer issues, movie making hardware/software, etc. can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
Mr Sprout Offline
Working

Capture Card Database - *Read* - 03-02-2006 , 03:58 AM

I thought i'd try to solve many of the questions in this forum by putting together a database of video capture devices, please contribute to this and it will grow into a very useful resource for the future, here's the layout you should use for your entrys.

http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards.php <---Nice long list

Use this layout:

*Capture Device Brand, Name and Model Here*

Device Tech Specs
Internal or External: *info here*
Firewire or USB: *info here if applicable*
Capture resolution: *info here*
Sound Capture: *Yes or No*
Compatibility: *PC, Mac or Both?*
Price: *info here*

A little about my Device
*Here write a short paragraph about your card, e.g:
My card is white and sleek and sits on my desk nicely, it was expensive but has great quality, although sometimes it leaves a horizontal green line in my recordings. It sits nicely on my desk and takes up little room. It's perfect for laptops. (You might also want to include a picture of your device here, thumbnail links only please! You could also include a video demonstrating it's capture quality)*

Pros
*Give a vertical list highlighting all the good points about your capture device*

Cons
*Give a vertical list highlighting all the bad points (if any) about your capture device*

Notes
*Write down any notes about your device you think people should know about, e.g:
"My device came with free editing software, a spare USB cable and one years free tech support."
You could also post links to any movies you made using your capture card here.*

*Please contribute to this, following the exact layout I have set before you. The Main title is size 5, the subtitles are all size 4 and the other writing is the default size. The colors used are Brown, Blue, Green, Red and Purple. This could become a very useful resource so please contribute info on your device!*

Daleks - please also make a special note if you know whether the card is PAL60 enabled or not - it can be important, so only say it's for sure if you have first had experience

http://highimpacthalo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15326 - More capture card film samples to be found here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliceEssence
Kworld DVD Maker can support PAL60.

For anyone having this problem:

I have one of these capture devices. And you CAN get PAL-60 out of it. Get DScaler and set the 360 to TV output, in PAL-60, then set signal input in DScaler to SECAM-B. Happy recording. You'll get some interlace issues at first, but jiggle the settings and it's right as rain. Use HuffyUV AVI lossless compression as output format.

Tadaa.
This may work with other cards too.

Last edited by Daleks United; 03-02-2008 at 08:47 AM. .

Old   
cheese ds Offline

Send a message via MSN to cheese ds
03-07-2006 , 12:33 AM

Pinnacle, Dazzel DCV 90

Device Tech Specs
Internal or External: External
Firewire or USB: USB
Capture resolution: 720 x 480
Sound Capture: Yes
Compatibility: PC as far as I know
Price: USD $ 79.99

A little about my Device
It's a niffty little sky blue unit, it literaly fits in the palm of my hand. I has Full A/V hook ups and a S-video hook up. The USB cord has a good reach, about 5 or 6 feet (but I got a ten foot extention so I can do some serious capturing on my big TV) It comes with editing/capture software but i don't like the editing part its to buggy for me, but it capture a good amount of capture options.....it saves as .avi and .mpeg Its a very inexpensive capture card for what it does. now time for a demo, i'll use &quot;high quality&quot; capture on the card and the default &quot;best for playback on my computer&quot; Bitrate in WMM The Demo

Pros
Very inexpensive easy, the hardware is easy to use, it's small, it does every thing most people will ever want it to do.

Cons
The software that comes with it can be bugy and had to understand, if you dont have the right TV set up lots of capturing can be painful because you get a tiny screen that tends to lag at the beging of a capture or in heavy action so it is very easy to fly past the point where you wanted to stop.

Notes
This only runs off USB 2.0

Last edited by cheese ds; 03-07-2006 at 07:51 PM. .

Old   
Daleks United Offline
Plug 'n' Pray

Send a message via MSN to Daleks UnitedSend a message via Skype™ to Daleks United
03-07-2006 , 01:34 PM

Aver Media USB2.0

Device Tech Specs
Capture resolution: 720*576 (PAL) 720*480(NTSC)
Sound Capture: Stereo
Compatibility: PC
Price: 60 /$80

A little about my Device
Ideal for laptop use although primarily designed to pick up TV siganl through an external ariel the composite and S Video inputs work well. Stylish silver with a black leather carry case, not bigger than 2/3 the height of a cola can square.

Pros
S Video
TV (Cable too)
Composite
Lots of options
Good quality

Cons
Sound is only available using the included software.
Sometimes hard to configure
No PAL60 support

Notes
It comes with adapters to allow you to plug in a Co-Ax cable, and also includes the cables needed to connect it to your PC. Also has software which does full screen recording and has timeshift options etc. and I can answer questions about it!

Old   
Cramesta Offline

03-07-2006 , 06:35 PM

ATI TV Wonder Pro

Device Tech Specs
Internal or External: Internal
Firewire or USB: PCI Card
Capture resolution: 720x480
Compatibility: PCs for sure, not sure about Macs
Price: ~ $60-70

More Information
The TV Wonder Pro is one of the highest quality capture cards, and its price is like no other. It captures in full 720x480 DV resolution, and comes with the equipment necessary, other than an Advanced AV pack or however you plan on splitting the A/V signal.

Pros
- Good price
- High quality
- Comes with software

Cons
- Hassle to install inside computer sometimes
- Captures in MPEG-2 by default, a little annoying because it's compressed.

Notes
The software that came with the capture card was not installing on my Windows XP Media Center computer. I managed to download it off ATI's web site here, and now it works just fine.

Also, here is a 20 second sample of its quality: Filefront

Old   
casuela Offline

Send a message via ICQ to casuelaSend a message via AIM to casuelaSend a message via MSN to casuelaSend a message via Yahoo to casuelaSend a message via Skype™ to casuela
03-08-2006 , 12:19 PM

*Pinnacle, Studio AV/DV

Device Tech Specs
Firewire or USB: N/A
Capture resolution: 720*480
Price: $50

A little about my Device
This device is totally internal so it takes up no space at all. I just replaced my old 56K modem PCI card with this beauty. It was extremely easy to install. All you do is unscrew one screw, slide out the old card and slide in the new one and screw back in.

Pros
Unbelievalbe capture quality, both video and audio. The best I have seen for under $120, no joke. Being only $50 with amazing output, I just couldn't resist. So easy to install, such good quality, and so easy to use with the capture software.

Cons
The only con that I can think of is if you don't feel comfortable with the inside of a computer and how stuff works, the PCI card install would be the hardest thing to do. If you have EVER opened a PC case though you should feel completely comfortable with the install.

Notes
Comes with free software. Not the best software if you have used an editing programing before hand. Very good capturing interface, but I personally don't like the actuall program. I switch to Vegas after I capture it.

-cas

Old   
Omg A Fish Offline
Can't Think Of Anything

Send a message via AIM to Omg A FishSend a message via MSN to Omg A FishSend a message via Skype™ to Omg A Fish
03-08-2006 , 12:35 PM

Canopus ADVC 110

Device Tech Specs
Firewire or USB: Firewire
Capture resolution: I don't know, but captures at a very high quality.
Compatibility: Both
Price: $225-$300

A Little About My Device
The ADVC 110 is a rather expensive capture card, but captures audio and video at amaizingly high quality. It is really simple to use, especially with macs, if you have a firewire port on your pc it is also easy.

Pros
-Amazing capture quality
-Great audio capture quality
-Very simple and easy to use
-Comes w/ firewire cable

Cons
-Expensive
-Only firewire

Notes
Powers on when plugged into the computer, comes with firewire cable. It is very light and easily transportable. A great buy. I will provide a clip of quality later.

Last edited by Omg A Fish; 03-08-2006 at 12:41 PM. .

Old   
smoaty Offline

Send a message via AIM to smoatySend a message via Skype™ to smoaty
03-27-2006 , 07:53 PM

Kworld DVD Maker
Device Tech Specs
Firewire or USB: USB 2.0
Capture resolution: 720x480 NTSC and...whatever PAL 720 standard is
Price: $40

A Little About My Device
I got this device from buy.com and literally set it up in minutes and had it running. It was simple...install the driver and its running no problems at all.

Pros
-cheap
-simple to set up
-good quality

Cons

-none thus far

Notes
no power cord is included because it is powered by usb.

--This may have had many iterations of the same device. Please check on multiple websites regarding OS compatibility.

Last edited by Daleks United; 03-02-2008 at 08:48 AM. .

Old   
Samusaaron3 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Samusaaron3
03-28-2006 , 10:28 AM

LifeView FlyVideo TVR

Device Tech Specs
Capture resolution: Up to 640x480 or 720x480
Price: $45

A little about my Device
The capture card is an internal PCI card. If you know your way around the computer, its very easy to install. If not, have your geek friend help you. The video quality is pretty good, but it takes horrible pictures. You can capture in AVI format or mpeg1, both 30 fps. It also has sound capture, but that is also pretty bad, but fixable. Go out and buy an RCA audio to computer line in converter (about $5) to get good quality audio capture.

Pros
-Good video quality
-Good capturing program
-Easy to use
-Many inputs in the card
-Ajustable brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation

Cons
-Bad still picture quality
-Bad audio quality (easily fixable, read paragraph above)

Notes
You can buy the card here
Video Link (Mythica)

Last edited by Samusaaron3; 02-07-2008 at 07:33 PM. .

Old   
Techno Mutant Offline
Lottery Winner 5/12/06!

Send a message via AIM to Techno MutantSend a message via MSN to Techno Mutant
03-31-2006 , 04:23 PM

ATI ALL IN WONDER PRO (EXTERNAL)
Device Tech Specs
Capture resolution: Quality Check HERE
Compatibility: PC and laptop. (need at least 5200 rpm HDD)
Price: USD I
EBAY- 40.00
TIGER DIRECT- 89.99

A little about my Device

Its fairly small and can heat up rapidly but have had no problems with it. the quality is great. the quality can be seen HERE. was kinda hard to setup and when installing the program go to custom and dont install all the tv remote stuff. and you CANT use wmm to record. well at least in my case.

pros

- great quality
-easy to use (once setup)
- nice programs
- easy to connect

cons

- need fast hdd (my laptop hdd sometimes lags)
- hard to setup
-need usb 2.0

Notes
this capture card is really nice although can heat up so make sure its in a good spot. also make sure you have at least a 5200 rpm harddrive or you wont be able to record in full quality. I have video that the capture card takes when at meadium quality setting.

QUALITY!!

The most important thing. heres what it can do at medium quality. (note I cant record High quality because the file size goes insane. trust me though its really good at high-qualtity. )

Short Vid Of a Modder.

Last edited by Techno Mutant; 03-31-2006 at 04:44 PM. .

Old   
WhiteRaven Offline
B D C# A B

Send a message via ICQ to WhiteRavenSend a message via AIM to WhiteRavenSend a message via MSN to WhiteRavenSend a message via Yahoo to WhiteRavenSend a message via Skype™ to WhiteRaven
04-23-2006 , 08:56 PM

Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 85

Device Tech Specs
Capture resolution: Up to 640x480
Price: 43.00$ - 53.00$

A little about my Device
It's relatively small, ugly teal blue. :P It's got a very nice long USB cord on it, and can be placed nearly anywhere. It's not an uber capture card, but it gets the job done.

Pros
Small size
Non-propriatary support (meaning, you can use it with other video apps asides from that which comes with it, such as WMM)
Long Cord
Good Audio

Cons
Ugly color. :P
Less than satisfactory video quality at 640x480.
Installation is semi-confusing if not done right.

Notes
I reccommend this CapCard to anyone who's just starting out with video capture.

Old   
Big Lou Offline

Send a message via AIM to Big LouSend a message via MSN to Big Lou
04-28-2006 , 09:33 PM

Cannon ZR90 Digital Video Camera

Device Tech Specs
Firewire or USB: Firewire
Capture resolution: 1024x768
Price: $400-$500

A little about my Device
My card is actually not a card at all, but a digital video camera. The Canon ZR90 allows me to digital transfer anything from any video source onto my computer. The quality is greater than most capture cards on the market. Though it's waaay to pricey for just a capture card, it's very reasonable for it's video quality. Set up is a bit chaotic, though, as it requires many random wires to hook up to an Xbox and the PC.

Pros
Unmatched capture quality.
Shows a lag-free preview of what you capture on the camera's screen.
It may be free if your family already owns one.

Cons
Very expensive.
Messy set up.

Notes
If you have no idea how to use a digital video camera of any type as a capture card, refer to my tutorial here.

Old   
Zeague Offline
Pokemon Master

Send a message via AIM to Zeague
04-30-2006 , 05:07 PM

Turtle Beach Video Advantage USB

Device Tech Specs
Internal or External: Externa;
Capture resolution: I Don't Know
Compatibility: Pretty sure both
Price: $80-$130

A little about my Device
My capture card is very small and catures in amazing quality. It is black and can capture in DV and MPEG-2 it also comes with a program to capture with that is very easy to use. I don't know if it can record with other things though. It also comes with a pretty good editing program but I don't use it.

Pros
- Small
- Very good quality
- Has everything you need

Cons
- Wires are short
- Gets unpluged easily
- Need a USB port
- Need a fast computer

Notes
It comes with a free editing program a recoreding program and everything you need to use. Very easy to setup.

Old   
Dudey Rune Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dudey RuneSend a message via MSN to Dudey Rune
05-18-2006 , 10:50 PM

*Hauppauge PVR 150*

Device Tech Specs

Internal or External: internal
Firewire or USB: firewire
Capture resolution: any you prick , comes with the software.
Sound Capture: yes
Compatibility: both pc and mac
Price: $120+ im not sure

A little about my Device
its very easy to install, can easyly be slid into a pci port, comes with free software, good audio, sound also video
idont like it as its not worked for me but ive seen 2 halo 2 tricking vids with people useing the device like mine. really good quality for its price

Pros
very good free software, good tech support and free upgrades of software
a good quality and playback and audio CC for under 150 USD

Cons
it can have a 4 second delay, hard to understand the software it comes with
crap output if you dont set it up correctly

Notes
free editing software, drivers and captureing, my PVR 150 is mainly for TV use on the pc with WinTV 2k but i prefer useing Dscaler V.4 as it has alot better options but i playd doom 3 on it and recorded the last level for about 1 min and 29 seconds, and i saved the vid and it was 700 Mb.. 700 @ 1:29 = bad, but thats only in dscaler...

Old   
Fuze Offline

06-05-2006 , 10:19 AM

Tv Cardbus Video Capture Card

Device Tech Specs

Internal or External : Internal
Firewire or USB : Other - PCMCIA
Capture Resolution : 720 x 480
Sound Capture : Yes
Compatibility : Laptops
Price : 30 / $50

A little about my device

This is a wonderful capture card, Although it is quite cheap, its quality is amazing and it does the job lovely. It captures in 720 x 480 resolution. Here is an example of its quality. (This has also been compressed with Windows Media Encoder). The card supports pal 60 mode, is easy to setup and to use. It comes with capture software (WinDVR), I don't use it though. lol. Pinnalce is the best.

Pros

Amazing quality
Supports pal 60 mode
Easy to setup and use
Can take screenshots when using certain software (Pinnacle being 1 of them)

Cons

Short cables
I think this card only works for laptops (unless you buy a PCMCIA adapter)

Notes

This is an amazing card, If you have any questions please ask me ;)

Here is a short clip I filmed with it.

High Quality Clip - GT at the time was Nirox

Last edited by Fuze; 09-23-2006 at 07:55 PM. .

Old   
jamesr66a Offline

Send a message via AIM to jamesr66aSend a message via MSN to jamesr66aSend a message via Yahoo to jamesr66aSend a message via Skype™ to jamesr66a
06-28-2006 , 09:45 AM

ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 edition (internal)

Device Tech Specs

Capture resolution: 720x480
Price: $200

A little about my Device
This is a nice little card for your computer. It serves as both a capture card, and a video card. It captures very high quality video at a large resolution. The input block is small, and is a domino (literally).

Pros
-High resolution
-High quality picture
-Serves as a good video card as well as a capture card
-Includes a coax TV tuner
-Supports pixel shader 2.0

Cons
-A beast to set up
-Does not work with Windows Vista beta

Notes
It came with Pinnacle Studio 9 ATI edition (which i despise...), ATI catalyst drivers, and a free disk of gameshadow (whatever that is...).

A quick vid of me screwing around: http://useruploads.mythica.org/view.cgi?f=sample3.avi

Last edited by jamesr66a; 06-28-2006 at 10:09 AM. .

Old   
theneighborrkid Offline

Send a message via AIM to theneighborrkid
07-20-2006 , 12:19 AM

KWORLD DVD MAKER PCI

Device Tech Specs
Firewire or USB: PCI Slot...
Capture resolution: NTSC 720 X 480 PAL 720 X 576
Price: $30

A little about my Device
This thing is amazing for the price on it, I have had no problems with it. It has an input for Composite or S-Video, and an output for audio through a 3.5mm jack. (Plug that into Line-In) I got it at Fry's Electronics for the amazing price of $30, great deal. Preview window for capturing can be expanded, using regular composite inputs Halo 1 is expanded to 640 X 480 and is very playable and you will only encounter problems with big bright maps like blood gulch, nothing to bad. Here is a sample clip taken from recording 8 minutes of Halo 1 (originally around 6GB, now compressed to around 32MB) http://useruploads.mythica.org/view.cgi?f=Movie-381.wmv

Pros
Very, very cheap
Great quality for price
Easy to install
Comes with software to burn to DVD.
Preview window expands to full screen.
Captures in amazing quality.

Cons
Umm... that I already bought a capture card that was $120 when I should of got this one for $30....
None so far...

Notes
Comes with 2 discs one with the Drivers, and another with the software DVD MovieFactory 4 SE. Is Multilingual,

Last edited by theneighborrkid; 07-20-2006 at 04:39 PM. .

Old   
Destroyer699 Offline

07-21-2006 , 02:34 PM

Pinnicle 700-USB

Device Tech Specs
Resolution:Amazing
Price: $150

A little about my Device
I got this yesterday and I am exceptionally pleased. It is a flattened blue square with in and out ports. Easy hookup and I can capture while I play on the tv. For $130 I wasn't broke after getting it. It comes with Pinnicle Studio Plus, but I hate it. It works with Windows Movie Maker and VirtualDub. It also capures sound from other programs. I recommend this to anyone.

Pros
Pretty cheap
Amazing quality for $130
Simple setup
Comes with Pinnicle Studio Plus(although I hardly call that a pro)

Cons
Only one con which is that if I record an unedited clip for 1 minute and 40 seconds it is 500 megabytes, but looks amazing.

Notes
After recording size is immense but quality is amazing. Open it in movie maker and save it. Takes away a little quality in exchange for hundreds of megabytes. 4 seconds is 23.7 mb

Here is a test after compressing it and lowering quality.
http://media.putfile.com/Test-56-91
Here is a 2 second unedited clip with amazing resolution. http://rapidshare.de/files/26544725/Test2.avi.html

Old   
Crocmon Offline

Send a message via AIM to CrocmonSend a message via MSN to Crocmon
07-25-2006 , 09:20 PM

Dazzle DVD Recorder

Device Tech Specs
Capture resolution: N/A
Compatibility: PC (Windows XP Version or above)
Price: $51.99 At Best Buy

A little about my Device
*Here write a short paragraph about your card, e.g:
My card is red and sleek and sits on my desk nicely, it wasn't too expensive, and it captures like a DVC 100 from Dazzle. Or, as good as my VCR records.

Pros
Cheap
Easy to Use (If you have the brains to work it, which I didn't. At first anyways...)
$51.99 for a Dazzle DVC 100 in disguise!
Cool color!

Cons
Ugly Yellow Asterik on the top

Notes
My device came with three CDs with all the editing software and capturing software I needed. I believe it's set with NTSC settings.

Old   
Phasmorphage Offline
Just assume I'm drunk

11-29-2006 , 07:17 PM

ATI TV Wonder Elite

Device Tech Specs
Firewire or USB: PCI Card
Capture resolution: Default 720x480
Compatibility: PC's are what I use, WIndows Media Center
Price: I got it for around 89$, but I heard its cheaper on the internet

More Information
The TV Wonder Pro is one of the highest quality capture cards, and its price is like no other. It captures in full 720x480 DV resolution, and comes with the equipment necessary, other than an Advanced AV pack or however you plan on splitting the A/V signal.

Pros
  • Not TOO expensive
    Comes with drivers and what-not, easy to install
    SO FAR, I've had no issues, that's around a month or so.
    The cord is nice and long
Cons
  • The programs if comes with can't view Composite for some reason... unless that's just me, so they're next to useless
    It lags. But That might also be me.
Notes

it works fine for me, no matter what KORHAL says about ATI products <.<. Finding software for it is kinda hard, since I play on my computer, but that's just me and my 2.2 ghz CPU.
I like it, so I would recommend it.

[/u][/u]

Old   
JKilla9611 Offline

Send a message via AIM to JKilla9611
11-30-2006 , 08:55 AM

MicroPac Technologies TV Tuner / Video Capture / MPEG Recording PCI Card with Remote Control OR Sabrent SAA7130

Device Tech Specs
Internal or External:Internal
Firewire or USB: It's PCI
Capture resolution: Maximum resolution up to 720x576
Sound Capture: Only in 2.5mm jack, so you need to buy a really cheap adapter
Compatibility:Both i think?
Price: $20 w/o shipping, handling or tax

A little about my Device

After waiting a full week and a half for my capture card to at least arrive off of backorder and slow shipping, i finally received it from a UPS guy yesterday. Right away i opened the box, and it surprised me how nice it looked, and it came with a remote control yesss! lol So i tested it out all last night, and i must say this $20 internall cc of mine can easily compete quality wise with $100, and most likely come through with better quality. It's unbeleiveable that a cc for only $20 could be this high quality. I'd rather buy this than a $100 Dazzle anyday.

Pros

*Great quality (quality test below)
*Comes with a remote
*Really inexpensive
*Comes with pretty nice capturing program- WinDVR
*Installation takes 2 seconds if you know what your doing inside a computer

Cons

*I installed the a driver wrong, so the TV Tuner and Remote aren't working. (hopefully i can fix, im 100% sure i can:) )
*If you don't know what your doing inside a comp, internal capture cards can be confusing
*none except mistakes i made that can be fixed:D

This is the place i bought it at:http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...119115&Redir=1

Quality Test:http://useruploads.mythica.org/view/...y_Test_WMV.wmv

Some pics coming soon

*Note* im not 100% sure but Micropac Technologies must have had either their name changed or have been bought out by Sabrent. The product isn't on the website, but searching around the web should get you some history on Micropac or Sabrent. I'm havin probs w/ the drivers after trying to install one to get the tv tuner working. Until i found out how to fix it, don't try to fix the tv tuner by downloading a diff driver, it'll mess up everything so you cannot record.

Last edited by JKilla9611; 12-01-2006 at 11:26 AM. .