Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Technical Support
Technical Support All threads related to console/computer issues, movie making hardware/software, etc. can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
Tech Artist Offline
Goodbye HIH! <3

Send a message via AIM to Tech ArtistSend a message via MSN to Tech Artist
Xbox 360 DVD-ROM Drive not working properly - 01-28-2011 , 11:03 AM

So I use my Xbox 360 as not only my primary gaming console but also my primary DVD player. Recently(and by that I mean the last week or so), every dvd I insert starts randomly skipping or like quick pauses, sometimes accompanied by a quick white flash. My game discs work perfectly. I haven't had any issues with them. Usually I'd just take my 360 down to Best Buy, but I'm pretty sure the warranty is expired(which I'm gonna make sure of when I am able to locate it). So, in the event that it is expired, I was hoping someone here had a suggestion that will save me from having to replace this whenever I am able to get a job. I am also pretty sure that this is just going to get worse to the point the disc drive is gonna fail completely. I am hoping I am wrong though.

Old   
Spartan-043 Offline

01-28-2011 , 06:08 PM

Well, here's a dumb suggestion: open the drive and blow in it. Could be as simple as a speck of dust. If the warranty IS expired, you could remove the drive and see if it can be fixed or even replace it.

I don't know how old your model is, but I do remember hearing, a lot, that playing DVDs isn't good for the 360's drive.
For some reason.

Are your games installed? If not, are they taking longer to load than normal?

Old   
Tech Artist Offline
Goodbye HIH! <3

Send a message via AIM to Tech ArtistSend a message via MSN to Tech Artist
01-29-2011 , 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan-043 View Post
Well, here's a dumb suggestion: open the drive and blow in it. Could be as simple as a speck of dust. If the warranty IS expired, you could remove the drive and see if it can be fixed or even replace it.

I don't know how old your model is, but I do remember hearing, a lot, that playing DVDs isn't good for the 360's drive.
For some reason.

Are your games installed? If not, are they taking longer to load than normal?
I don't have any games installed. Why would playing DVDs not be good for the 360's drive? That is weird.

Old   
MistaStalka Offline

Send a message via AIM to MistaStalka
01-29-2011 , 03:30 PM

I read that playing DVDs is bad for the PlayStation 3 because they spin much faster than a regular game, which eventually will wear down the drive's motor. Not sure if the same goes for 360.

Old   
wizdum Offline
Warning Explosives in Use

Send a message via AIM to wizdumSend a message via MSN to wizdum
01-29-2011 , 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaStalka View Post
I read that playing DVDs is bad for the PlayStation 3 because they spin much faster than a regular game, which eventually will wear down the drive's motor. Not sure if the same goes for 360.
DVDs spin faster than Blu-ray discs. The xbox 360 uses DVDs for games, so it would not matter.

Old   
Spartan-043 Offline

01-31-2011 , 06:02 PM

Yeah, isn't the max read speed for a Blu-ray only 2X? Might be why the Playstation still has horrid load times.

I don't know why it would hurt the Xbox, that's just one of those things you here online. I'd speculate that it's because the drive is made for games which read intermittently. Where as a DVD movie reads constantly.

Well, if you've got the free hard drive space, I'd highly recommended installing games regardless of console age or condition. That won't solve your DVD problems, but it's still a good idea.
And again, the only help I can offer is to just try and clean out the drive. A can of condensed air will blow out more dust than you'd think would be in the Xbox.

Old   
wizdum Offline
Warning Explosives in Use

Send a message via AIM to wizdumSend a message via MSN to wizdum
01-31-2011 , 06:56 PM

Try using a vacuum instead of compressed air. Sometimes compressed air pushes dirt further into the machine.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

Send a message via MSN to HaLo2FrEeEk
02-01-2011 , 04:43 PM

Depending on the drive model you could replace it. If you're really lucky you have a Samsung drive, in which case you could just buy a new one, swap out the circuit board and plug it in. The other drives aren't as easy to replace.

Apart from that, like other people said, just try to clean it with some compressed air. Opening the Xbox isn't difficult as long as you're careful and if your waranty is expired then itwon't make a difference. Just open it up, take the drive out, open the drive up and use the compressed air all over the place. Just, like I said, be careful! I take no responsibility for anything going wrong.