Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Technical Support
Technical Support All threads related to console/computer issues, movie making hardware/software, etc. can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
FooFoo Offline
Hood

Capture Card Help Thread - 05-25-2006 , 08:32 PM

FooFoo - can you contact me please -Daleks

Well, I have grown tired of the countless "ZOMG j00 nubs /me wantz CC helppz!!1!one!" threads. If you can't read that, in english that translates to I need capture card help. I am here to help.

In this thread I shall post many different scenarios that could occur with your CC, and I will try to post an answer. Please, if you have any problems with your Capture Card, POST HERE! Lets this off!

~Scenarios~

Scenario A: How do I hook this thing up?
I would start by reading through the directions that came with your Capture Card, they are in the box for a reason. Most capture cards come with a diagram of how to set them up, it isn't reall that hard. Here is a nice diagram by Daleks Untied over in the Tutorial sticky:

Link to Daleks' post

Scenario B: My Capture screen doesn't show any video!

Well, there can be many problems causing this, one may be that your PC doesn't detect that a CC is pluged in. Your drivers may not be installed corectly, or what-not. To make sure that your CC is plugged in and detected, unplug it from your USB / Firewire (asuming yours is external) and plug it back in. My computer makes a "bebbping" noise to alert me that it is detected. Again, follow all directions that came with your CC, it should help. Now, re-open your capturing program and see if video appears in the preview box. If the program detects that your CC is pluged in, but you still get no video, check that your cables are pluged in. Then try re-starting your PC.

Scenario C: I want to use my digital camera as a CC!

Here is a nice tutorial over in the tutorial sticky on how-to do this:

Link to thread

Scenario D: Why is my video in black and white?

If the video that appears on your PC is in Black & White, there is a simple solution to this. Go into your Xbox dashboard and select NTSC instead of PAL60 under video settings. The video should now be in color.

Scenario E: What is a good program to capture with?

There are many programs out there, and many to suit your needs. I recommend Virtual Dub. It is fast, easy, and reliable. But, Pinnacle works very well for me also.

Scenario F: What is a good capture card to capture with?

Please see http://highimpacthalo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20 for a database of Capture Cards and a link to other samples.

Please post any of your CC problems here, and I, or another moderator/ generous contributer shall try to help. I will be adding all questions asked to the list. If you have any comments, suggestions, or things to add let me know and I will add them!

~FooFoo

Last edited by Daleks United; 03-02-2008 at 08:51 AM. .

Old   
VooDooRex Offline

Send a message via MSN to VooDooRex
05-26-2006 , 12:43 PM

Well, if this is a help thread, it would be for troubleshooting too...

I have an Easy TV Mpeg TV Tuner / Capture card and it used to work fine. I reformatted my computer and reinstalled the Capture card, now it doesn't work. It used to say, "Fail to initialize hardware" So I uninstalled and reinstalled again, now it just says, "Fail to initialize"

What could be the problem?

Old   
FooFoo Offline
Hood

05-26-2006 , 04:42 PM

Hmm, try getting a program such as System Mechanic to do a complete scan of your computer, ridding it of registry problems, errors, and junk files.

After that, go the website of the creator of your CC and find out if there is new software or installer updates for the product.

Old   
iCorpsey Offline
Hello there

Send a message via AIM to iCorpseySend a message via MSN to iCorpseySend a message via Yahoo to iCorpsey
05-26-2006 , 08:44 PM

I think that this a gret thread.

Well not to spam:

Q: Do you guy's know of any capture programs I can get that will capture in better quality than WMM? I have Windows Media Encoder, but it keeps freezing up on me and it turns the framerate into horrible stuff.

Old   
FooFoo Offline
Hood

05-26-2006 , 08:50 PM

Could you tell me what CC you have Corpsey?
I reccommend Virtual Dub if your CC can use it.

Old   
iCorpsey Offline
Hello there

Send a message via AIM to iCorpseySend a message via MSN to iCorpseySend a message via Yahoo to iCorpsey
05-26-2006 , 08:53 PM

I do not have a CC.
I am way to sexy. I have a modded video camera, in my movies the quality sucks because I have to capture with WMM, but when I play it back from the camera to my tv, it is almost perfect quality. WMM just totally kills quality.

Old   
FooFoo Offline
Hood

05-26-2006 , 08:54 PM

Allright, I recommend you use Virtual Dub, a great, fast, and reliable program. Many people use it.

Old   
VooDooRex Offline

Send a message via MSN to VooDooRex
05-26-2006 , 10:03 PM

He could also use Fraps? If he is capturing a game off the computer screen?

Old   
Daleks United Offline
Plug 'n' Pray

Send a message via MSN to Daleks UnitedSend a message via Skype™ to Daleks United
05-27-2006 , 06:43 AM

Corpsey - you do realise that a TV screen is VERY low resolution? Expanding the video to anything other than 720*480 will make it loose quality.

WME is very resource intensive, but it gets great results. There is also Virtual Dub mod, which is a modded version. See links sticky.

VooDooRex- he is capturing from a USB or firewire device, not off the screen.

Old   
{NL} Boonmaster Offline

Send a message via AIM to {NL} Boonmaster
05-27-2006 , 12:11 PM

This question does not really matter anymore, but should anyone find themselves in a situation like this, here goes:

Xbox 360 to Console Switch Device (non-electric to avoid distortion), to TV IN, TV out to 7.1 Receiver with full composite ports. TV has to be on a special channel, and the receiver has to be in DVD mode to view what you are playing. Where does the DVC 150 go, without removing any pieces from the set?

Old   
FooFoo Offline
Hood

05-28-2006 , 05:17 PM

Boon, could you post a picture or diagram of this setup?

Old   
moddingmike Offline

Question AverGO 007 help - 05-30-2006 , 12:36 PM

ok I have a AverTV GO 007 its mostly for recording tv shows can i hook my xbox to it with the rf cable and record that way or do i need a special program.

Old   
FooFoo Offline
Hood

05-30-2006 , 07:23 PM

Well, hook in the cables from your Xbox the way you would hook up the cables from your TV and try to capture. if this works, then your set! I doubt you would need a new program though.

Old   
MyNameIsEric Offline

Send a message via AIM to MyNameIsEric
06-01-2006 , 09:43 PM

exactly how does this cc set up...i mean where do u plug in stuff etc..

I am thinking of getting one but first i want to make sure i am able to right now..

Old   
Obiz Offline

06-01-2006 , 10:26 PM

to run a cc

you split the video and audio from your box, then you one set into the tv like normal and the other into the cc, then the cc normaly uses usb to connect to the comp then you run the supplied programns that came with it. should have a record function

Old   
thenotsogoodtrickster Offline
That Brit Guy

Send a message via MSN to thenotsogoodtricksterSend a message via Yahoo to thenotsogoodtricksterSend a message via Skype™ to thenotsogoodtrickster
06-02-2006 , 12:41 PM

Another solution to the screen not showing up, make sure your SCART cables have the right input/output selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halogamer55 v2
exactly how does this cc set up...i mean where do u plug in stuff etc..

I am thinking of getting one but first i want to make sure i am able to right now..
Most, if not all, external capture cards work by simply connecting your SCART sockets (Audio L, Audio R, Video etc.) to the capture card, you then use the cable on the capture card, and plug it into the USB ports of your computer.

I have no experience with internal capture cards, but I believe the work by placing the CC into the computer itself, then plugging your Audio L, Audio R, and Video cables into it from there.

Last edited by thenotsogoodtrickster; 06-02-2006 at 12:47 PM. .

Old   
Daleks United Offline
Plug 'n' Pray

Send a message via MSN to Daleks UnitedSend a message via Skype™ to Daleks United
06-02-2006 , 04:44 PM

They aren't SCART cables notsogood.

SCART cables are Europe Only and are (I think) 21 Pin connections, offering better quality video than the composite cables the USA uses. (Sadly,we just convert Composite to a Scart connection for xbox, so it's the same).

The cables the xbox uses are RCA/Phono connectors, and the yellow one carries a Composite video signal.

Old   
GamerGuy2 Offline

Send a message via AIM to GamerGuy2Send a message via MSN to GamerGuy2Send a message via Skype™ to GamerGuy2
06-04-2006 , 05:53 PM

ok i have a video xpress http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8 and the audio goes ahead of the video. so when someone shoots a rocket the rocket goes than the sound goes. I thought it was my Y cables that i was using to watch on my tv and my computer. so than i switched to just hooking up my xbox strait to my CC used virtual dub and it still didnt meet it. than i tried using windows movie maker and it still didnt work.

Old   
Daleks United Offline
Plug 'n' Pray

06-04-2006 , 06:26 PM

During the recording is the offset regular or does it vary? Is ti always 2 seconds late, say, or does it start correct and get further and further off?

Old   
GamerGuy2 Offline

Send a message via AIM to GamerGuy2Send a message via MSN to GamerGuy2Send a message via Skype™ to GamerGuy2
06-04-2006 , 09:04 PM

well when i use virtual dub it laggs alot when i click on audio while recording or whatever you might call it. so i cant hear the audio while im recording. Well i've had a few different ocations.

When i was recording someone talk i thought it was going great than the he shot a rocket and i noticed it was off thats the first time i noticed it. than later i just decided to show somoene shooting for 1 min and it was going great for like 17 secs than it started to slip off more and more.

One thing i really want to know if its my capture card or my computer. i have a dell e310 or whatever. I'm not sure if video card matters but i have a pci bus ati radeon 9250. But its unable to play halo pc. Like i said i dotn know if it has anything to do with that or not. the best game i can play would probably be counter strike or second life.