Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Yap and Blabber Music, Movies, and Video
Notices

Old   
Merth Offline

05-22-2007 , 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fob12
What kinda guitars do you guys got? I have a Bc Rich Warlock Spider, and I have a Fender Acoustic. I recently got the acoustic, and I like it a lot. It's real nice sounding, and easy to play. I'm having some trouble with Barre Chords though... I can't seem to stop getting the twangy noice. It's a real pain.
Bleh, I don't like Warlocks. To each his own though.

I have a crate POS starter strat copy, and a schecter 006 deluxe with seymour duncan pickups. I recently just got a new ovation cc24 acoustic guitar; ruby red color. Sounds amazing, looks amazing, all for $280.

And, about barre chords, it's just about practicing and increasing hand strength. You'll get it eventually.

How long have you been playing guitar for?

Old   
Crazy Dylan Offline
I R Baboon

Send a message via AIM to Crazy Dylan
05-22-2007 , 05:22 PM

I have an acoustic seagull. It's got some light strings on it right now. I picked it up from my uncle for free. So I wasn't set back $600.

Here's a pic: [img=http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5290/dsc0339ra9.jpg]

Old   
metzger84 Offline
Es ist mir egal.

Send a message via AIM to metzger84
05-22-2007 , 06:51 PM

My guitar is an Ibanez IC400.

And then I have two basses. An Ibanez SRX505, similar to this. And a Squire Affinity P-Bass that I ripped all the frets out of.

Old   
Mark Ceol Offline
Ooo - I like madness!

Send a message via AIM to Mark CeolSend a message via MSN to Mark Ceol
05-22-2007 , 07:31 PM

Hey everyone! Glad to finally see a musicians thread. I was thinking of doing something of the sort, but never really got to it, so good work on that. I'm not so much in to rock anymore, and I don't play guitar. The only rock I listen to really is classic rock and the likes. Anyone into Aerosmith, or Styx? Something along those lines. I'm more into trance now. I heard this one song by Toby Emerson from a video on here, and was hooked ever since. For those who don't know, trance is electronic music (commonly thought of as techno, but this is a big misconception) that can range from very rhythmic to very melodic, or both, and uses many different production techniques to increase the emotion of the song. I really like it. If any of you are interested in it, some of my favorite more independent artists are, Silexz, DE, Toby Emerson and Saxxonpike (also known as Sanxion7). Most of them are on acidplanet, but I'm sure if you google it you could find other sources. I also write a little bit, which can be found here http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=402268&T=6726
But its not quite as good as the others. If any of you do listen to my music, please leave a quick comment here for me just so I know what ya think of it. As for things I actually play....I play both the trumpet and the mellophone (a kind of marching french horn). I play trumpet in many many high school groups, including wind ensemble, orchestra and jazz bands (2), and I play mellophone in marching band when it comes around. Out of curiosity, how much music theory do you all know? I've been taking a theory class this year and I really feel it has helped me when playing and producing music. It would be kind of cool to have a little music theory discussion going. I think thats basically it for me, sorry for taking away a little bit from the rock discussions.

At Ace: Pretty cool, but a pretty simple progression also. Try to build off it some more and it would be really cool. Also as a side note, your lower notes sounded a little out of tune to me...but thats just a minor detail. Overall, pretty cool riff!

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

Send a message via AIM to fob12Send a message via MSN to fob12
05-22-2007 , 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Radio
Bleh, I don't like Warlocks. To each his own though.

I have a crate POS starter strat copy, and a schecter 006 deluxe with seymour duncan pickups. I recently just got a new ovation cc24 acoustic guitar; ruby red color. Sounds amazing, looks amazing, all for $280.

And, about barre chords, it's just about practicing and increasing hand strength. You'll get it eventually.

How long have you been playing guitar for?
I went from a Guitar Research starter POS, the pick ups broke, the strings broke, everything was breaking on it and I hardly touched it, but then my friend gave me the Warlock for free. =] So I'm completely satisfied. Ironicly, I wanted a Warlock ever since I became interested in guitar. I don't know much about guitars, and I don't know why all the guitars have funky names like that. But that acoustic sounds sexy. =] I was playing a Fender Showcaster at Guitar Center today, and I loved it! I played a Gibson Sg, but I didn't like it. I thought it would be better, but to me it seems over rated. Maybe I played on a crappy amp, but I didn't like it much. Not the feel, sound anything. But I loved the Fender, it was so awesome. It had a great grungy feel to it, but then it had a nice clean sound too. Which is something I need, because my Warlock only has one humbucker pick up, so it wasn't built for clean play. =[ But I've been playing for about 6 months consistantly now. I've been on and off for like 1 or 2 years just playing for fun and goofing off, and I didn't know any chords or anything. I've learned a lot since then, because of self teaching. But I just can't seem to get a clean barre chord, no matter how hard I press down, or how I angle my fingers. :(

Old   
AceDauntless Offline
Symbolic

05-22-2007 , 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ceol

At Ace: Pretty cool, but a pretty simple progression also. Try to build off it some more and it would be really cool. Also as a side note, your lower notes sounded a little out of tune to me...but thats just a minor detail. Overall, pretty cool riff!
Cool, thanks for the input.

I was just screwing around and I was like, thats pretty cool.

Old   
Crazy Dylan Offline
I R Baboon

Send a message via AIM to Crazy Dylan
05-22-2007 , 08:23 PM

There's one bad thing about me playing any musical instrument and that is that I'm a very visual learner. I read some tabs and other music. But, I really have to just see someone else play it and then I'm good.

If anyone else has this problem do you guys know of any video sites to teach you how to play songs?

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

05-22-2007 , 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dylan
There's one bad thing about me playing any musical instrument and that is that I'm a very visual learner. I read some tabs and other music. But, I really have to just see someone else play it and then I'm good.

If anyone else has this problem do you guys know of any video sites to teach you how to play songs?
I completely understand what you mean. I'm almost the same exact way. Searching on Youtube for a specific lesson that you want usually will get me satisfied. But, I found some really helpful sites.

www.justinguitar.com This site is really helpful, the guy is really nice and easy to understand, and it's what I like the best.

www.thenextlevelguitar.com This site is helpful... but the guy is extreamly ANNOYING, but he gets the job done. =] Whatever floats your boat.

Old   
Phasmorphage Offline
Just assume I'm drunk

05-22-2007 , 10:34 PM

Here are 2 of my Nine Inch Nails remixes hosted on NINremixes.com http://tinyurl.com/2jchhp

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

05-22-2007 , 11:01 PM

Remember everyone - Your songs can go into the music mash up, because that's what it's for, but you NEED TO TITLE YOUR SONGS.

Old   
Merth Offline

05-22-2007 , 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dylan

Reading tablature was confusing for me at first... but I think the solution to your problem would be to get guitar pro 5. Good program; it shows you the tablature and the timing and everything you need to play the song, pretty much. Plus you can tab out your own songs on it.

My suggestion that is even if you can't play well from reading tablature, keep attempting it and play along with the song you want to play. you'll get a feel for it eventually.

Quote:
I played a Gibson Sg, but I didn't like it.
I know the feeling; I've played plenty of gibsons/epiphones at guitar center, but none of them felt right. It was mainly because of the stop bar tune-o-matic setup. I'm not used to it. And I couldn't get used to it, lol. I like a string-thru or a vintage strat style trem.

Old   
TeamAmerica1 Offline
Music and more music.

Send a message via AIM to TeamAmerica1Send a message via MSN to TeamAmerica1Send a message via Skype™ to TeamAmerica1
05-23-2007 , 12:27 AM

Anyone here into All That Remains, 36 CrazyFists, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, etc...?

I'm working on the double-bass beat in This Calling by All That Remains, it's so insane...

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

05-23-2007 , 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica1
Anyone here into All That Remains, 36 CrazyFists, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, etc...?

I'm working on the double-bass beat in This Calling by All That Remains, it's so insane...
All That Remains are amazing, but the screaming can get annoying. As I Lay Dying is annoying to me too, and I don't remember how Unearth sounded. I've never heard of 36 Crazy Fits though. They any good?

Guerrilla, could you please explain what those are. =[ I'm a moron with guitars, I just know what I like.

Old   
Merth Offline

05-23-2007 , 08:15 AM

Quote:
All That Remains are amazing, but the screaming can get annoying. As I Lay Dying is annoying to me too, and I don't remember how Unearth sounded. I've never heard of 36 Crazy Fits though. They any good?

Guerrilla, could you please explain what those are. =[ I'm a moron with guitars, I just know what I like.
Well, which part are 'those?' lol.

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

05-23-2007 , 04:33 PM

"It was mainly because of the stop bar tune-o-matic setup. I'm not used to it. And I couldn't get used to it, lol. I like a string-thru or a vintage strat style trem.". =[

Old   
Lone Starr Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lone StarrSend a message via MSN to Lone StarrSend a message via Skype™ to Lone Starr
05-23-2007 , 04:38 PM

I made a channel on IBO #music if anyone wants to come in there I posted a link to this topic there :).

Anyways I play piano and a little guitar.

Old   
AceDauntless Offline
Symbolic

05-23-2007 , 04:54 PM

Could someone post a tut on how to play metal on guitar? I can't get that metal sound no matter how hard I try. :(

Old   
Meeph Offline
rawr

Send a message via AIM to MeephSend a message via Skype™ to Meeph
05-23-2007 , 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalos
I'm curious to find out who plays something other than Guitar, Bass, or Set. Because I mean, what 13-20 year old teenage male DOESN'T play guitar, bass, or set?

Other than guitar, I also play Trombone and Violin pretty well. Though my violin needs new strings terribly.
I play the French Horn and the Timpani and a little bit of Trumpet, Trombone, and Baritone. By the end of next school year though I'll be finished with all of my methods classes which means I will be able to play all orchestral string instruments, all woodwinds, all brass, and all percussion instruments. Its gonna be freakin' sweet! :D Yay for music!

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

05-23-2007 , 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDauntless
Could someone post a tut on how to play metal on guitar? I can't get that metal sound no matter how hard I try. :(
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/m...beginners.html Check that out. Basicly, metal is just heavy power chords, and fast riffs.

Old   
AceDauntless Offline
Symbolic

05-23-2007 , 10:13 PM

Quote:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/m...beginners.html Check that out. Basicly, metal is just heavy power chords, and fast riffs.
Ooh, thankyou.

I'm gonna have fun with this.

Tags
music, musicians