Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Gaming and Console Discussion
Gaming and Console Discussion Non-Halo related gaming discussion goes here. Any platform, any game.
Notices

Old   
AquaEchoiii Offline
Gues Ill wear pants today

12-16-2010 , 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalos View Post
Anyway, I'm excited for Skyrim, but hope they return a lot more of the variety of skills that Morrowind had. I mean, seriously, where the hell are my polearms?
This exactly. I'm hoping for more armor variations, like using single pauldrons and whatnot. That way it takes more time to collect sets of armor and also adds variety to your own custom armor sets. Having more than just 5 pieces for a whole set would be amazing. That was one thing that i really didnt like in oblivion. I pretty much just screwed around with enchants on armor in order to somewhat accomodate for the lack of initial variation.

Old   
Kalos Offline
hey human, call a rescue

12-19-2010 , 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I would love for Skyrim to have battles between armies complete with catapults.

The closest we got to that in Oblivion was the Battle of Bruma, and it was just sword fighting alongside a Siege Machine that never got a chance to do anything...
Yeah, but you can chalk that one up to limitations of the engine. Even the Battle of Bruma was pushing what the engine could handle. It just wasn't made for large-scale setpieces. The combat AI was definitely not sophisticated enough to handle anything more than one-on-one fights, I had to restart that a number of times due to my army all turning on each other more often than they'd pose any serious threat to the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottaj View Post
It's kind of funny that I've been replying to unwanted messages with pictures of my arsonskie, and you get b& for that.

Old   
laser Offline

01-08-2011 , 04:03 AM

"Another change to the way Skyrim plays compared to its predecessor, Oblivion, is in how you gain new powers and abilities. This game does entirely away with the concept of class creation, Bethesda's thinking being it's a bit naff asking people to predict how they're going to play a game when they haven't played it yet.

Replacing this, then, is an organic system of attribute growth based on use: the more you do something, the better you get at it. While this has long been a staple of RPG games, even dating back to the Quest for Glory series, but in Skyrim it's not just complementing a class structure, it's replacing it. So you won't be cast in stone as a mage if you use lots of magic, you'll just be some adventurer with a higher magic number in their stats.

You level up according to how you progress your most-used skills. "Raising one skill from 34 to 35 is going to level you faster than raising one from 11 to 12", Bethesda's Todd Howard tells Game Informer. If you stick to what you like/do best, you'll level up quickly. Conversely, if you want to take things slowly, you can raise all or most of your skills, as not focusing on one or two in particular will mean a slower rise through the levels.
"

http://kotaku.com/5728236/the-next-e...bat--levelling

YESYESYES!!! I hated the major skills/gets-harder-to-level-up-later-on system! Plus the option to take it nice 'n' slow? This sounds almost perfect now!

Old   
AquaEchoiii Offline

01-08-2011 , 04:50 AM

That sounds amazing. I always hated having to choose a class when i really didn't know what I wanted initially. Also the dual weilding customization with weapons and spells and whatnot sound pretty amazing. I assume that the two bumpers will control the spells for each hand? I'm really liking the sound of that, i just hope that, in the end, it turns out good.

Old   
Chimaira Offline

Send a message via MSN to Chimaira
01-08-2011 , 01:21 PM

There are scans up all over.

Old   
laser Offline

01-14-2011 , 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaira View Post
There are scans up all over.
I don't like magazine scans. I like to have the print in my hands.

I'm having trouble with that, though. I can't find it at any newsstand. Any chance that someone could get a copy and send it to me?

I'll pay extra for handling...

Old   
CaptainCrunch41 Offline

01-14-2011 , 08:36 PM

I'm probably going to have a threesome with my xbox and this game when it comes out. Love this series.

Old   
Chimaira Offline

01-15-2011 , 03:35 AM

The screenshots I've seen so far look pretty nice.

It's supposed to have level scaling like Fallout 3, which has a lot of people worried.

You can equip a weapon, spell, or shield to each hand and use them individually like dual-wielding in Halo 3.

It will no longer pause the game and go into staring contest mode when you talk to NPC's. They will walk around and do stuff while they're talking to you.

Radiant AI was scrapped in Oblivion because they couldn't get it to work right, but it's supposed to be in Skyrim now.

The game revolves around you hunting dragons, which will periodically attack towns.

Old   
Kalos Offline
hey human, call a rescue

01-18-2011 , 03:56 PM

Quote:
It's supposed to have level scaling like Fallout 3, which has a lot of people worried
Nooooo. The only time this works is limited scaling in mostly-linear rpgs (like Dragon Age) so that you don't get left behind and have to sit around grinding exp somewhere.

This is probably the one thing I hated about Oblivion. I would get into an undignified fist fight with demigods and the avatars of beings beyond mortal understanding, and win... only to still have the town guards still be two levels above me. I'm sorry, Cyrodiil, it seems that the only reason you actually need me to save the world is because I can't demand a paycheck for it. When I'm playing a fantasy RPG, I don't want to be unremarkable and terrified of people bigger than me. I get enough of that in my day job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottaj View Post
It's kind of funny that I've been replying to unwanted messages with pictures of my arsonskie, and you get b& for that.

Old   
Chimaira Offline

01-18-2011 , 05:34 PM

More info + screenshot.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/th...-v-skyrim.aspx

Old   
laser Offline

01-18-2011 , 07:26 PM

Quote:
They're promising too much. I don't think even half of the Radient Story features are going to make it in.

Old   
Chimaira Offline

01-19-2011 , 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
They're promising too much. I don't think even half of the Radient Story features are going to make it in.
From what I understand, the system in Oblivion was the most basic form of Radiant AI. They've had all that time to really work on it, so I don't think they will disappoint.

Old   
AquaEchoiii Offline

01-19-2011 , 09:54 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, the system in Oblivion was the most basic form of Radiant AI. They've had all that time to really work on it, so I don't think they will disappoint.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's like what, at least a five year gap? They've probably waited this long intentionally because they wanted to really step it up. And Im glad they did. If they would have done this instead of fallout, god it would probably have been awful. I'm looking forwards to the difference of engine and all that good stuff in Skyrim.

Old   
Chimaira Offline

01-19-2011 , 11:36 PM

Yeah. I'm glad they're finally doing something about the animations. It's no Euphoria but it looks good regardless.

Old   
laser Offline

02-17-2011 , 10:29 PM

I finally got to read the Game Informer Skyrim issue.

I've also gone through their online coverage. (Lots of neat stuff in the videos... )

Key bits:

"Every object in the world casts a perfectly formed shadow. Trees and branches move indepentdently, and water flows in swift currents, imparting a sense of energy and life to the world even when no other creatures stand nearby. Incredible draw distances allow players to look out from a mountain peak across vast distances, and everything you can see — from the lowest valley to the highest distant snowcapped rocks — is traversable. Snow falls naturally onto the stones and branches, appearing not as a preset texture, but falling exactly as it would onto that object given its shape and size."

"One of the few surviving Blades, Esbern is a sort of mentor to the game's hero...He is voiced by Max von Sydow."

"More so than in Oblivion, Skyrim’s new magic system also gives players legitimate benefits to using one attacking spell over the other. Fire deals the highest amount of damage, lighting drains the enemy’s magicka, and frost drains stamina and slows down enemies physically. This gives players more incentive to use particular spells against specific enemies. Why shoot fireballs at a wizard when you can simultaneously drain his heath and magicka with a shock spell? “There’s a gaminess to it that we didn’t really have before,” Howard says."

You can now gather useful information like locations & quests from being within earshot of conversations - You no longer have to talk directly to everyone to move ahead.

The magazine gives a more realistic approach to Radiant Story. Stuff like setting quests in new locations whenever possible, having other people potentially give out quests if the originator has died, and potentially being asked for a duel depending on what your skills are.

Simplified menus - it's now much easier to find & equip items, and they blend in with the game better, by using stuff like 3D books & constellations that show your skill levels.

Extended character customization - you can add decals & scars.

Dragons are the key to the game. You can use powers called Dragon Shouts, which are learned by absorbing the souls of slain dragons, to do many different things, like slow time & call for help from a dragon. A full dragon language, complete with grammatical & syntax rules, is used while you're performing these shouts.

Bows are now more powerful, but they take longer to use.

There are also perks when you level up, and WAY more texture detail.

I still have a concern that all these added things may dilute the core gameplay (as in Twilight Princess), but otherwise I'm very hyped!

Old   
Vulcan Offline
Playing Hat Fortress 2

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan
02-18-2011 , 01:16 AM

pfft, Morrowind? Casual schlapskie.
True harcore gamers play Daggerfall.

Old   
laser Offline

02-18-2011 , 04:35 AM

A whole bunch of neat tidbits here.

EDIT: One more tidbit from this interview - there are more quests than Oblivion.

Last edited by laser; 02-18-2011 at 08:43 PM. .

Old   
laser Offline

02-21-2011 , 04:43 PM

'Bout time we saw some high-res pics!

There's a great one in the magazine of a fight against some wolves in a first-person view. I'd KILL to see that one in high-res!

Old   
AquaEchoiii Offline

02-24-2011 , 05:23 PM

HOW BOUT SOME froodlenutzkieIN GAMEPLAY MUTHAfroodlenutzkieAS

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/24/sk...eplay-trailer/

Might need some new panties now