Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo Reach Forum Halo: Reach General Discussion
Halo: Reach General Discussion For news, updates, and Beta discussion Halo: Reach, the definitive game of the Halo series.
Notices

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

Send a message via MSN to HaLo2FrEeEk
Defiant Map Pack Confirmed! - 02-14-2011 , 11:21 AM

Just went on xbox.com and saw a pretty little picture saying something along the lines of:

BAM!

And a pretty little video along the lines of:

http://mirror.infectionist.com/bungi...er_800Kbps.wmv

Buh-BAM!!

Good stuff. Looks like 343 is working up a nice little addition to Firefight and Multiplayer. The three maps, Unearthed, Condemned, and Highlands, look absolutely gorgeous so far. I'm not worried that it hasn't been very long since the first map pack anymore since this one is developed by 343, so we don't know how long they've been working on it. From the looks of it, though, they might have been working on it for months. Definitely a good amount of spit and polish applied.

Unearthed looks similar to Boneyard, but it's a firefight map. Looks to be a large sized map.

Condemned looks similar to Anchor 9. It's a space station drifting amidst a space battle between Covenant and UNSC forces. From the trailer, the backdrop is beautiful. It's further away from Reach than Anchor 9 and looks to be near a small star or a volcanic planet in the Reach system. This is a multiplayer map, and looks to be medium sized.

Highlands. The only thing I can compare it to is a mix between Spire, Beachhead, and...Tempest...maybe. This one doesn't really bear a close resemblance to any existing maps. This one is also a multiplayer map and looks like a large scale, vehicle-sized map.

Keep in mind, I'm getting this all from the trailer, so I could be wrong. Also, not related to the map pack, pay attention to the score in the trailer. I don't remember this music from the Reach soundtrack, it sounds like a new composition. I love it. The vocals, the intensity, it's really nice. ALSO, anyone that frequents Video Copilot might notice some pretty Optical Flares toward the end.

The new map pack is due out March of this year.

If this trailer and content is a show of things to come from 343, my worries are officially null.

Old   
The Voice Of Truth Offline

02-14-2011 , 12:14 PM

Probably earlier than they expected to announce it, what with the leak last week and all.

Anyway, I think condemned is supposed to still be over reach, and that is what it being glassed looks like...strangely similar to a kill ball. ( I originally thought it was a sun, but I swear I see land patches)

Edit: Now I know why they look so good, apparently, Certain Affinity came back for another Halo map-pack, as the maps are stated as being "Created in partnership with" them.

Last edited by The Voice Of Truth; 02-14-2011 at 03:16 PM. .

Old   
Bob NLD Offline

02-14-2011 , 01:05 PM

Song: Sacred Icon Suite 2 (halo legends soundtrack / episode: origins part II)

Old   
Joshington Offline

Send a message via AIM to Joshington
02-14-2011 , 01:08 PM

yuh was just about to upload the video :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xIdtnDw3ew

Old   
DShadow Offline
Healingpants FTW

02-14-2011 , 02:22 PM

Whoa! The maps and the trailer looked really awesome! Maybe this will be the first map pack I will buy for the halo series :)

Old   
JBart Offline

Send a message via AIM to JBartSend a message via MSN to JBart
02-14-2011 , 02:23 PM

I feel like Bungie and 343 we're not on the same page wth the last map pack and this one, 2 space station maps back to back? I don't like that and the boneyard look is starting to get old.

The only thing that makes this promising for me is Highlands, looks like an amazing map and takes advantages of everything reach has to offer and it also doesn't look like the vehicles will overpower the game just like every other big team battle map

Last edited by JBart; 02-14-2011 at 02:24 PM. . Reason: Droid auto correction

Old   
repivemag Offline

Send a message via MSN to repivemag
02-14-2011 , 03:55 PM

Isn't there already a thread about this map pack? Either way I am excited to see how the maps play so I can tell how well the real game their working on will be.

Old   
HaLo2FrEeEk Offline

Send a message via MSN to HaLo2FrEeEk
02-14-2011 , 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repivemag View Post
Isn't there already a thread about this map pack? Either way I am excited to see how the maps play so I can tell how well the real game their working on will be.
There's a thread with leaked screens but the name and trailer were only just released a few hours ago.

Old   
laser Offline

02-14-2011 , 06:43 PM

Unearthed looks kinda dull, Condemed will have to be played to be judged, but I am loving Highlands. Like I suspected from the leaked pics, it really has a Halo 1 feel to it.

Old   
repivemag Offline

Send a message via MSN to repivemag
02-16-2011 , 08:58 AM

Highlands reminds me of a particular Halo 1 map, named Timberland. Pretty much all of the maps make me excited though, all except Unearthed as it reminds me too much of Boneyard but I guess it gets points for being a new firefight map instead.

Old   
MistaStalka Offline

Send a message via AIM to MistaStalka
02-16-2011 , 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBart View Post
Most likely because it was modded, but I could be wrong.
Most leaked maps come from modded Xbox consoles, not trying to justify my point, just saying. But I believe Highlands was modded. (Jumping high in the air and defeating the timer in Forge)

Old   

02-16-2011 , 09:00 PM

^All the videos would be from either modded xbox's or illegal development kits(who if they downloaded it themselves are now banned from the network).

Old   
Nofirefrog Offline
Hey There

02-16-2011 , 10:03 PM

Listen to your comrades.

Nofirefrog

Years. YEARS. That's what I've given this site. It's been hilarious and maddening, mind numbing and thought provoking, moments of astonishment and headaches. The best thing this site has given me one the best community on the 'net. HIH will always be unparalleled.

Thanks for everything, you will be sorely missed.

Nofirefrog

Old   
Causeofdeath15 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Causeofdeath15Send a message via Skype™ to Causeofdeath15
02-17-2011 , 12:14 AM

I'm not so sure I feel good about this map pack anymore. It's being made by Certain Affinity. Ring a bell? It should. They were the group that made Desolation and Tombstone for Halo 2. I still can't play Hang Em High anymore without cringing.

But hopefully I'm wrong about them this time. Hopefully...

Old   
The n00banator Offline

Send a message via AIM to The n00banator
02-17-2011 , 02:10 AM

One of the things I found interesting is the fact neither Bungie nor 343 Industries made this map pack.
Wasn't most of the previous map packs from previous games made by Bungie and how many studios are making map packs? If Bungie has two or three studios making map packs, we could be seeing map pack rapidly being released as they are now considering it's two pieces of DLC made in about six months. Wow time has flown quickly.
Does anyone else notice most of the names of the map packs have only one map that shares that theme at the most? For being called the Defiant Map Pack along with the Noble Map Pack, switching Condemned with Breakpoint would make cents, but being made by different studios and having two space maps in one map pack and two big team maps in another would seem odd.
Regardless more maps to play on is good enough of a reason for me to buy it, I'll ten dollars to spare. I wish more people bought the Halo map packs, I like having more diversity when I play.

Old   

02-17-2011 , 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Causeofdeath15 View Post
I'm not so sure I feel good about this map pack anymore. It's being made by Certain Affinity. Ring a bell? It should. They were the group that made Desolation and Tombstone for Halo 2. I still can't play Hang Em High anymore without cringing.

But hopefully I'm wrong about them this time. Hopefully...
Tombstone was a pretty popular map in halo 2. Deso not so much, but it looked great :P

Old   
Dark Navi Offline
Is that a anime?

Send a message via AIM to Dark NaviSend a message via MSN to Dark NaviSend a message via Skype™ to Dark Navi
02-17-2011 , 11:05 PM

Holy schlapskie, who cares about the maps. Did you hear that music? That is like some Two Steps From Hell stuff. <3 Neeeeeed.