Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo Reach Forum Halo: Reach General Discussion
Halo: Reach General Discussion For news, updates, and Beta discussion Halo: Reach, the definitive game of the Halo series.
Notices

Old   
theneighborrkid Offline

Send a message via AIM to theneighborrkid
ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG Halo CE remake - 02-04-2011 , 04:49 PM

Click

Maybe better in the H1 forum but, it's pretty dead there (and most of this site) feel free to move it :)

Old   
laser Offline

02-04-2011 , 05:34 PM

Visual overhaul, I don't mind. But will the gameplay be an exact port?

Old   
Tech Artist Offline
Goodbye HIH! <3

Send a message via AIM to Tech ArtistSend a message via MSN to Tech Artist
02-04-2011 , 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
From the sounds of it, mostly yes. They are adding in more recent control configurations, online multiplayer, and online co-op. Other then that and the visual overhaul, it sounds like it will be an mostly an exact port. I hope there will be achievements as well. Also, it will be nice to play Halo 1 without being disconnected from Xbox Live. I would love to see a re-make, like this one, of Halo 2!

Old   
Man Demon Offline

02-04-2011 , 06:37 PM

To be honest I think it would be better for it not to include multiplayer outside of co-op. I doubt they want to compete with themselves so soon after Reach.

Old   
JBart Offline

Send a message via AIM to JBartSend a message via MSN to JBart
02-04-2011 , 07:10 PM

Couple of things.
1. Wrong forum
2. Already been posted.
3. Title is annoying

Old   
laser Offline

02-04-2011 , 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Artist View Post
They are adding in more recent control configurations
This is what scares me. Why would they need to add new controls unless new features were being added to the core gameplay? The Xbox 1 & 360 controllers both have the same number of buttons (minus the guide button), and Halo 1 already has all the control schemes that anyone could ever ask for given the existing gameplay.

The existing control schemes could be tweaked to include a 'speak' button for online play like in Halo 2, but that was an irritating function. Halo 3 & Reach are fine without it.

P.S. Any chance that the two threads could be merged?

Last edited by laser; 02-04-2011 at 08:16 PM. . Reason: Added some stuff.

Old   
JBart Offline

Send a message via AIM to JBartSend a message via MSN to JBart
02-04-2011 , 08:04 PM

I don't believe this article one bit because:
1. 343 has job listings for Halo related posistions 343 jobs
2. The locations for the jobs are in Washington not New Jersey
3. Microsoft owns Halo therefore owns the Halo engines(correct?) so why would they use an entirely different engine?

"Full visual overhaul"
"It's being remade with new art assets"
those quotes right there are from the sources who talked to Joystiq, so how did Joystiq come about saying that they won't use the reach engine? The only thing I got from it was better visuals.

Old   
Spartan-043 Offline

02-04-2011 , 10:09 PM

Okay, I've been wanting this ever since I first played Reach, and I knew that at some point it would happen - but this is exactly the scenario I was dreading.

The way I wanted it: The Reach engine and assets would be handed over to 343 Studios who would use it to remake Halo 1 as a massive DLC for Reach. It would be perfect to have all the Halo 1 campaign missions following the ending of Reach. That way, we'd get to continue enjoying Reach's multiplayer, while also getting to play a fresh Halo 1 with 4 player online co-op, achievements, and credit earnings.
Plus, that would put 343 in the good graces of us (the fans) while they attempt to make future Halo games. Win-frackin'-win

But a whole 'nother studio trying to do Bungie's work by remaking the entire Halo 1 game with "better" visuals and "better" control and a "better" multiplayer is a recipe for disaster. Don't try to make it better, just use modern tools and assets to update it and bring some of the fun back into it.
I don't know if it's even possible to use the Reach engine, but it almost feels like it was made for Halo 1 to me.

I'll keep a close eye on this project.

Old   
laser Offline

02-05-2011 , 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan-043 View Post
bring some of the fun back into it.
The fun never left. It just needs a new coat of paint and Live support.

Old   
Spartan-043 Offline

02-05-2011 , 12:38 PM

That's what I mean, really. Without it, I'll just continue playing Reach.

Not that I'm not happy with that.

Old   
Dark Navi Offline
Is that a anime?

Send a message via AIM to Dark NaviSend a message via MSN to Dark NaviSend a message via Skype™ to Dark Navi
02-05-2011 , 03:01 PM

I know this is a bit different situation, but Halo Wars wasn't made by either group, Bungie or 343. Also, gameplay better stay the same. Halo CE had the best IMO.

Old   
Ducain Offline
Ahhhhh....yeeeaaahhhh

02-05-2011 , 08:11 PM

Crap - thought that was just joystiq usual crap. If this is legit, wow - many of us have been wanting this for years. Classic game with campaign co-op potential.

Um...yes.

Ducain - HIH Admin - Ducain@gmail.com

Old   
GunHunter Offline

02-06-2011 , 09:44 AM

I just finished replaying Halo CE in the 360 and noticed I could not get the early banshee. I wonder how many other patches the now version will have.

Old   
Vulcan Offline
Playing Hat Fortress 2

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan
02-06-2011 , 06:51 PM

God, I hope it feels and plays exactly like CE, otherwise there would be no point for me.

Old   
laser Offline

02-06-2011 , 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
God, I hope it feels and plays exactly like CE, otherwise there would be no point for me.
The voice of tru7h speaks.

Old   
Duzzlight Offline

02-06-2011 , 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan-043 View Post
Okay, I've been wanting this ever since I first played Reach, and I knew that at some point it would happen - but this is exactly the scenario I was dreading.

The way I wanted it: The Reach engine and assets would be handed over to 343 Studios who would use it to remake Halo 1 as a massive DLC for Reach. It would be perfect to have all the Halo 1 campaign missions following the ending of Reach. That way, we'd get to continue enjoying Reach's multiplayer, while also getting to play a fresh Halo 1 with 4 player online co-op, achievements, and credit earnings.
Plus, that would put 343 in the good graces of us (the fans) while they attempt to make future Halo games. Win-frackin'-win

But a whole 'nother studio trying to do Bungie's work by remaking the entire Halo 1 game with "better" visuals and "better" control and a "better" multiplayer is a recipe for disaster. Don't try to make it better, just use modern tools and assets to update it and bring some of the fun back into it.
I don't know if it's even possible to use the Reach engine, but it almost feels like it was made for Halo 1 to me.

I'll keep a close eye on this project.
No. Absolutely not.

I dont' want Halo: Reach 2.0. I want Halo 1. Everything the same. I just want to be able to, you know, play it on Live.

To turn Halo 1 to the Reach engine would kill the feel that Halo 1 still has. If they do do this, I won't even bother looking at it. There's no point. I could just play Reach.

Old   
galador Offline
Corgi, I dare say...

02-06-2011 , 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Artist View Post
From the sounds of it, mostly yes. They are adding in more recent control configurations, online multiplayer, and online co-op. Other then that and the visual overhaul, it sounds like it will be an mostly an exact port. I hope there will be achievements as well. Also, it will be nice to play Halo 1 without being disconnected from Xbox Live. I would love to see a re-make, like this one, of Halo 2!
Your answer is right there. No, it's not going to be the same game (re: tricking), because they'll have to fix the "bugs" in order to make it "multiplayer friendly".

Old   
laser Offline

02-06-2011 , 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galador View Post
because they'll have to fix the "bugs" in order to make it "multiplayer friendly".
Then I'll kill them.

Old   
MistaStalka Offline

Send a message via AIM to MistaStalka
02-07-2011 , 02:46 AM

Fans are going to be disappointed. Set yourself for failure.

Old   
Spartan-043 Offline

02-07-2011 , 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHunter View Post
I just finished replaying Halo CE in the 360 and noticed I could not get the early banshee. I wonder how many other patches the now version will have.
There are no patches in the emulator. It plays exactly the same as on the Xbox 1. You should be able to get that Banshee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzzlight
No. Absolutely not.

I dont' want Halo: Reach 2.0. I want Halo 1. Everything the same. I just want to be able to, you know, play it on Live.

To turn Halo 1 to the Reach engine would kill the feel that Halo 1 still has. If they do do this, I won't even bother looking at it. There's no point. I could just play Reach.
Well, think about it: Don't include armor abilities in the DLC, adjust run speed and jump height a little, modify enemies slightly - there's really very small things that would have to be done to it to make it feel like Halo 1 and less like Reach but still take advantage of the much better engine (that isn't much different from Halo 1, really). Completely in the realm of DLC.

Eric Nylund once talked about why he didn't write The Flood (the novel to Halo). He said that if he wrote the novel on the game he'd only have two possible outcomes:
1.) The fans would say "There's nothing new in this, this is terrible, YOU SUCK!"
2.) The fans would say "This is completely different, this it terrible, YOU SUCK!"

Kinda the same thing here. But I'm almost always in the middle: I want a remake of Halo but I understand there's no point to a 100% conversion with an added 10% more features (online and what-not). It's a new thing, so it should be new. As long as it captures the feel, the atmosphere, the fun, the shear greatness of that game then then they did their job well

I'm just sayin' that making it Reach DLC is a hell of a better idea that making it from scratch. But I wouldn't feel that way if it was Bungie doing it.