Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Yap and Blabber Music, Movies, and Video
Notices

Old   
Xetzu Offline
Don't.

Send a message via AIM to XetzuSend a message via Skype™ to Xetzu
06-14-2007 , 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevercha0s
I seldom find time to come visit you guys at HIH anymore (I know.. it's sad :() But I was turned on by this thread and I knew I had to post :) So I'm just going to go off on a tangent about random music stuff and hopefully you guys will gain knowledge and/or entertainment out of it.

First of all, as fob12 mentioned on the first post, the new Dream Theater album is OUT. It's called "Systematic Chaos," and it is AMAZING. They definitely headed in a new direction with this album (come to think of it, they do that with every album). If I had to describe this album in one word, this would be it- Balls. This album is just pure balls, through and through. Heavy and insane at times, yet melodic and lyrical. Truly Dream Theater's best show of musicianship yet. Do whatever it takes to get this album, you won't regret it. Get the special edition if you can pump out the extra few bucks. It has a "making of" DVD, and it shows you how freakin' badass they are.
I have to agree with you and Mike Portnoy on this, Systematic Chaos is pure balls. Through the entire thing. They really did amazing with this album. I find myself singing "Forsaken" alot. Definatly one of DT's better albums.

~X

Old   
ForcefulXCon Offline
The Count of Tuscany

Send a message via AIM to ForcefulXCon
06-14-2007 , 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetzu
I have to agree with you and Mike Portnoy on this, Systematic Chaos is pure balls. Through the entire thing. They really did amazing with this album. I find myself singing "Forsaken" alot. Definatly one of DT's better albums.

~X
Wekcome to the club.

Old   
Merth Offline

06-14-2007 , 12:24 PM

Quote:
As some of you guys know, I've been straight-up working my *** off all summer. Almost 60 hours a weeks as a matter of fact. Part of the reason I'm doing this is so I can fund a demo CD that I'm going to record later this year.:)
Can you let us know how much that's gonna cost you when you get everything finished off?

I'm curious, because I'd like to get into recording as well.

Luckily for me though, a college I think I might go to is big on their music program, and a main project (according to my friend) is recording and mixing an album. Fo' free!

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

Send a message via AIM to fob12Send a message via MSN to fob12
06-14-2007 , 10:02 PM

The new DT album is pure balls. Some of my favorites on the album would be Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night, and In The Presence of Enemies Part 1. The whole album is totally amazing, and purely original and unlike anything you'll ever hear on the radio. Which is a real shame. Definately worth picking up.

Rush's new album sounds like the rest of their stuff, it's just more Rush. Catchy and original. If you like 'em, don't hesitate to get the album.

I also want to get Velvet Revolver's new album. They're released single She Builds Quick Machines for their new album Libertad, which I can't seem to get the link to. =\ To me, it's going to be awesome. Slash = Guitar God = No disapointment. This single is an extreamly awesome song to me, very upbeat and catchy, and has a legend solo by the one and only.

What are the best guitars for the different genres out there? I want to play western, metal, up beat rock type music, but I want a guitar that I can do all of it with.

Old   
SuBuRb4n CoMr4de Offline

Send a message via AIM to SuBuRb4n CoMr4de
06-14-2007 , 10:23 PM

i dont know about you guys but i play bass and saxophone.

yeaaaaaaaaa

our bands got s myspace too!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...9-ac8ea0c1b761

P.S. I made the logo:D

Old   
forevercha0s Offline
Fortune favors the brave.

Send a message via AIM to forevercha0sSend a message via Skype™ to forevercha0s
06-14-2007 , 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fob12
What are the best guitars for the different genres out there? I want to play western, metal, up beat rock type music, but I want a guitar that I can do all of it with.
You really can't go wrong with an Ibanez RG Prestige series electric. Check some of those out (check out that new 8-string model O_o). I've played my friend's RG2610E myself and it seems to be a really well-rounded guitar. I own a Gibson Les Paul Standard, which is a flawless guitar if you just wanna play some straight-up rock. It's not so good for metal though. For metal you're going to want a guitar with coil pickups, not humbuckers like a Les Paul has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Radio
Can you let us know how much that's gonna cost you when you get everything finished off?
Will do :) It's not cheap, I'll tell ya that.

Old   
Merth Offline

06-14-2007 , 11:12 PM

Quote:
You really can't go wrong with an Ibanez RG Prestige series electric. Check some of those out (check out that new 8-string model O_o). I've played my friend's RG2610E myself and it seems to be a really well-rounded guitar. I own a Gibson Les Paul Standard, which is a flawless guitar if you just wanna play some straight-up rock. It's not so good for metal though. For metal you're going to want a guitar with coil pickups, not humbuckers like a Les Paul has.

Will do :) It's not cheap, I'll tell ya that.
Single coils for metal?

/me is confused.

Old   
Little Wing Offline

Send a message via MSN to Little Wing
06-15-2007 , 01:05 AM

Great "Metal" Guitar

I plan on getting the C-7 as my next guitar. Schecter kicks ***.

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

06-15-2007 , 01:47 AM

Quote:
Single coils for metal?

/me is confused.
Same here... I was under the impression that Humbuckers were for metal, and Single Coil were for Rock and such. Which made sense, because Bc Rich has Humbuckers, and Fender has Single Coil. Are you just tired and got them mixed up? =\

I like the Ibanez, looks really nice. The 8 string is a bit too much for me, because I just want to master the 6 string for now. :P Looks really promising though. Too bad I'm gunna have to pay an arm and a leg for it. :( Ibanez is really popular, but when I tried one for myself, I wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'm just a noob and don't know the difference between what I like and don't like yet. I need to try them out more.

Guerrilla likes Schecter a lot too, and he said they were awesome. They look just like another version of Fender to me. I'm probably dead wrong, but to each his own. I'll have to give it a shot though. Apparently it's good.

Old   
Merth Offline

06-15-2007 , 01:52 AM

Hehe... I think you're dead wrong. :D

I believe that schecters just have a higher level of playability. Plus good prices.

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

06-15-2007 , 02:11 AM

Quote:
Hehe... I think you're dead wrong. :D

I believe that schecters just have a higher level of playability. Plus good prices.
Yeah but how do they compare to Ibanez? Because I'm leaning towards Ibanez right now.

Old   
Cold-PhuRy Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cold-PhuRy
06-15-2007 , 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalos
I'm curious to find out who plays something other than Guitar, Bass, or Set. Because I mean, what 13-20 year old teenage male DOESN'T play guitar, bass, or set?

Other than guitar, I also play Trombone and Violin pretty well. Though my violin needs new strings terribly.
i don't. i play the french horn, trumpet very well and play the piano really well. (DipABRSM)
yeah.
and my theory sucks to teh core

and im 15 this yr

Old   
Merth Offline

06-15-2007 , 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fob12
Yeah but how do they compare to Ibanez? Because I'm leaning towards Ibanez right now.
I haven't played any Ibanez guitars. So I can't really tell ya. :D Go try one out.

Old   
Meeph Offline
rawr

Send a message via AIM to MeephSend a message via Skype™ to Meeph
06-15-2007 , 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold-PhuRy
i don't. i play the french horn, trumpet very well and play the piano really well. (DipABRSM)
yeah.
and my theory sucks to teh core

and im 15 this yr
You play french horn? What brand and model do you play on? *just outta curiosity*

Old   
Little Wing Offline

06-20-2007 , 09:38 AM

I figured this thread could be bumped, considering the number of musician related threads that pop up. Why waste this one, people have contributed valuable opinions and whatnot. If I've assumed wrong, sorry mods, go ahead and lock it.

Anyway, on to the reason I bumped this...

I was going to post this a long time ago, but I'm lazy, and my internet blows pole, so uploading videos at home is ridiculous. I'd just like to show people what kind of setup I have (guitar wise).

This is how I rock out. (My hair was being exceptionally dumb that day...)

This is how I record. Out... ? (CC + Audacity)

What kind of picks do you guys like? I personally like Dunlop Nylon .88 m.m.'s.

Old   
Merth Offline

06-20-2007 , 11:38 AM

You got skillz. Everything in that song was tight. Good work. :)

The only preference I have for picks is that they HAVE to be dunlop brand; either the tortex or nylon picks. .70mm-ish for electric and lower than that for acoustic is my favorite.

I'm curious as to how you're recording using that capture card..thing. :P Can you give an explanation? Because I'm interested.

Old   
Little Wing Offline

06-20-2007 , 02:53 PM

I made a video for this a long time ago :D. Here she is.

Text Tut

Get a CC, be it external or internal (I recommend mine as it is cheap and good) and install it.
Then you'll need an Audio Y cable, and a 1/4 inch to 1/8 stereo plugin adapter.
Plug the audio y cable (with adapter) into your amps "Line Out" outlet, and plug the red and white RCA end of it into the audio ports on your CC.
Since you'll only be recording audio with it, go to Audacity and in the top right select whatever port your cc's audio cable is plugged into (for me it's Aux/Line 2)
Turn your amp on, click the record button, and you should be good.

Audacity is a great tool to put together a song. You can crossfade tracks, layer multiple guitar parts, if you don't an octave pedal, you can copy a track, and raise the copy an octave or two to achieve the same affect. Once you get the hang of it, you'll realize what a great FREE program it is.

Last edited by Little Wing; 06-20-2007 at 03:02 PM. .

Old   
Merth Offline

06-20-2007 , 04:06 PM

I've gotta get me one of those... :)

Old   
Little Wing Offline

06-20-2007 , 04:56 PM

Dying In Your Arms - Originally by Trivium

Got confused editing it at the end. My bad. Other than that, what do you guys think?

Old   
fob12 Offline
Ghost Launching Founder

06-20-2007 , 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wing
Dying In Your Arms - Originally by Trivium

Got confused editing it at the end. My bad. Other than that, what do you guys think?
That sounded good. The sound wasn't very clean, but the playing was good. Around 1:15 through 1:25 it sounded like you hestitated a bit. Maybe that's just how the song goes on that part, because honestly I've never heard it. Did you do both guitars?

Tags
music, musicians