Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite HIH Website News and Announcements HIH Website News and Announcements
HIH Website News and Announcements Site specific information as well as important special announcements will be posted here.
Notices

Old   
flechette Offline

01-13-2014 , 12:56 AM

Where to begin? How do you really describe a trick?

I had just watched the video of MisterMonopoli's speedrun of Halo 2 at AGDQ when I saw this video linked on the HighImpactHalo Facebook page. It grabbed my attention. My wife had sat down next to me, and I confused her by explaining the video as best as I could, with no preparation that anything of the sort was coming.

"He's overloaded the games memory, to make a weaponless enemy that can't harm him, so he can carry a checkpoint. You see, the grenades stick to the boxes when they land on the box. So you can move the box yourself and carry a ton more grenades that you normally could anywhere in the map. He has to have one player stare at the grenades to prevent them from despawning from memory. He's using GruntBirthdayParty, a skull or powerup that allows him to have overshields so he can do these grenade jumps. He's used a method called BAWing. Uh, basically he puts himself between weak geometry in the level and an explosion, and it can push him through the wall, into places that can't normally be reached."

Nostalgia. Holy cow, the waves of nostalgia. I gravitate towards the Halo runs the most when I know they're coming, but I was not expecting someone to do the impossible. Who else here spent hours riding on the backs of jetpack elites? How many of you laid eyes on the room from outside of Cairo Station on your own Xbox, and wondered 'How?'.

There are tricks that seem like a simple thing at first glance, but are much more intense in terms of actual work needed. If T2T was Halo's Holy Grail, than this trick is The Ark of Halo 2. To those of us who were here for HIH's glory days, this is an important part of our history. This is a missing link of Halo, a trick loved and loathed.

To put this all into perspective, I had to go back, I had to see just how long this question of how to get in has been around. The first post I could find with the question in the title was this one, posted by guns_n_cars on Nov 12, 2004, 3 days after Halo 2 was released. There were already trick videos being posted. 40 megabyte videos were considered large, and streaming video was almost always out of the question. Youtube wouldn't exist for another 4 months.

Let that sink in. We've wanted to see this since before Youtube.

I am so lucky to have been a part of such a great community. Seriously guys, we made history, and we're still making history. The people doing the tricks and speedruns today are true pioneers, and not just in terms of in-game exploration. You guys are all making history by playing this game and sharing your knowledge and love. When our grandchildren as us what the beginning of the internet looked like, we can point to this site and say to them, this is what it was like for me. It was a community of like-minded individuals who could connect on a global scale over anything and everything. I was there, I was a part of it, and it was fricking beautiful.

Thanks so much for everything guys!

Old   
Rorcin Offline

Send a message via AIM to RorcinSend a message via MSN to Rorcin
01-13-2014 , 01:36 AM

This is incredible!
It's amazing to see so much work finally pay off.

Old   
xlax007 Offline

01-13-2014 , 02:47 AM

Absolutely fantastic work Bizz!

It's crazy how it feels SO close to impossible, but you have that feeling it can somehow be done, and after 9 years of discussing the room you found a way and pulled it off! You're one of the best trickers I know. Mad chocolate cookies for you sir!

ps: Logging in to a forum felt never this nostalgic! Miss this place, but thanks everyone for this great community and the fun times!

Old   
then3wguy Offline

01-13-2014 , 03:18 AM

Didn't know you, Bizz, but I definitely know the difficulty of this trick. You're a legend.

Old   
TeamAmerica1 Offline
Music and more music.

Send a message via AIM to TeamAmerica1Send a message via MSN to TeamAmerica1Send a message via Skype™ to TeamAmerica1
01-13-2014 , 03:23 AM

Wow...such a huge amount of nostalgia, posting in an HIH thread again...

Great job. In my opinion, this is Halo 2's most significant campaign trick, considering the many years it's been attempted. Thanks, Duke, for unlocking HIH, even if only for a few moments. I often find myself remembering the good ol' days, and it's great to be able to make one last post here.

Again, DrBizz, amazing job cracking this trick. I will always have love for all you guys. Until next time! =)

Old   
LDG Offline

01-13-2014 , 03:29 AM

it's so awesome to be posting here again, even if it's just a once in a blue moon it's still special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I decided to let anyone interested see a 65 old man. Sorry if it doesn't work, this is the only pic of me, taken by mistake about 3 weeks ago:

http://rs1115.pbsrc.com/albums/k558/...0?t=1389493742
associating that face with the accomplishments you've done makes everything you did even more badass

anyway back on topic: this is incredible, it is literally impossible to overstate how amazing this is, I wish I could put my amazement in words but I simply can't, it's that amazing! Congratulations DrBizz, you have been a tricking giant for a while now, and every challenge you crush under your feet makes you taller, may you go on to crush many more.

Old   
Dark Navi Offline
Is that a anime?

Send a message via AIM to Dark NaviSend a message via MSN to Dark NaviSend a message via Skype™ to Dark Navi
01-13-2014 , 03:31 AM

Nice.

7char

Old   
thenotsogoodtrickster Offline
That Brit Guy

Send a message via MSN to thenotsogoodtricksterSend a message via Yahoo to thenotsogoodtricksterSend a message via Skype™ to thenotsogoodtrickster
01-13-2014 , 04:01 AM

Again, this is absolutely incredible and I can't offer any amount of congratulations that would match the effort and time put into completing this. Well done x1,000,000 :D

On another note, it almost brings a year to my eye with all the nostalgia of watching a Halo trick video with everyone back on HIH to comment on it. This community will forever be my favourite. Love you guys.

<3

u mad? PM me.
Some basardskies asked for entertainment.
I presented a blog. Yes, Another F*****g Blog...

I'm on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, GTAGaming.com, Jumprs.org, GlitchGaming.org, and Last.fm. And I also use the nick "TNSGT" on IRC on the IAN server.

Much love, HIH, thanks for the memories xx

Old   
LDG Offline

01-13-2014 , 04:06 AM

assuming the post flechette found was the first one and that the timezones match than it took 9 years, 1 month, 22 days, 10 hours and 9 minutes for this challenge to be complete.

yes, I'm crazy

Old   
ReiKo Offline
Revival - TV

01-13-2014 , 05:06 AM

Great job, Bizz. You can retire in style now!

Old   
marioman769 Offline

01-13-2014 , 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I decided to let anyone interested see a 65 old man. Sorry if it doesn't work, this is the only pic of me, taken by mistake about 3 weeks ago:

http://rs1115.pbsrc.com/albums/k558/...0?t=1389493742
Holy crap. Seeing a picture of Grumpy is almost as great as the trick itself! Dude your selfie level is at 1000. It's funny that it is exactly how I imagined you would look.

Old   
Turmolt Offline
Call Me Captain

Send a message via AIM to Turmolt
01-13-2014 , 07:45 AM

Wow. This is great to see accomplished. It is amazing to see the tricks that haunted HIH to finally be pulled off so long after its shutdown. It feels great to post here again. Much love to my High Impact Family and I hope life is going well for all of you.

Cheers

Old   
Meeph Offline
rawr

Send a message via AIM to MeephSend a message via Skype™ to Meeph
01-13-2014 , 08:01 AM

When I came to enter my username and password I didn't quite believe that it would let me log in, but here we are! (That and I wasn't sure I remembered my password lol)

This is an amazing accomplishment! I never tricked much (because I wasn't very good at it) but I always loved watching you folks get it done. Congrats DrBizz!

Long live HIH

Old   
Ducain Offline
Ahhhhh....yeeeaaahhhh

01-13-2014 , 09:27 AM

I think flechette wins the first ever POTS Post As Poetry award. That was nice man.

Ducain - HIH Admin - Ducain@gmail.com

Old   
Nofirefrog Offline
Hey There

01-13-2014 , 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechette View Post
To put this all into perspective, I had to go back, I had to see just how long this question of how to get in has been around. The first post I could find with the question in the title was this one, posted by guns_n_cars on Nov 12, 2004, 3 days after Halo 2 was released. There were already trick videos being posted. 40 megabyte videos were considered large, and streaming video was almost always out of the question. Youtube wouldn't exist for another 4 months.

Let that sink in. We've wanted to see this since before Youtube.
Heh. Mythica hadn't yet emerged as our dominant video platform. We still had a picapic vs putfile thing going on and one of those ended up in a little fiasco. Good times.

In any case in the absence of Lone Starr finishing another ancient challenge, Two Johnsons on a single BBT, what trick is next? What the next powerful behemoth to be felled by the great and mighty Halo tricking community?

Years. YEARS. That's what I've given this site. It's been hilarious and maddening, mind numbing and thought provoking, moments of astonishment and headaches. The best thing this site has given me one the best community on the 'net. HIH will always be unparalleled.

Thanks for everything, you will be sorely missed.

Nofirefrog

Old   
grumpy Offline

01-13-2014 , 10:58 AM

Oh man, yesterday I started crying tears of pure joy and tears of sadness. Then this morning I read through everything again and here I am sobbing again. I guess I'm just a stupid old man. What we had can never be recreated but this little refresher comes pretty close...if even for a couple of days.

Maybe fletch's post should be FP, lol.

Old   
goatrope Offline
Yes?

Send a message via MSN to goatrope
01-13-2014 , 12:04 PM

Very cool. :)

Old   
SlayerX35 Offline
Whudafxup?

Send a message via AIM to SlayerX35Send a message via MSN to SlayerX35Send a message via Skype™ to SlayerX35
01-13-2014 , 12:11 PM

I've seen professional Mongolian contortionists do that. (hahahahaha that edit o bgjfioyo)

This is incredible! It's insane to read that this challenge has been around for that long, and Dr.Bizz had the determination and mad skills to pull it off. It's amazing to still be able to be elated over a Halo 2 feat. Well done!

...posting on here is also making me s'happy and misty-eyed :D

Old   
Brain Virus Offline
Tech Guru

Send a message via MSN to Brain Virus
01-13-2014 , 12:53 PM

This is just incredible. I was never a campaign tricker, I never had the patience for it, and this just SCREAMS patience and planning. I applaud you.

As for HIH coming out of Cryo, I was almost not going to post anything, and just let it be. Its been years since I have tricked, and with a wife and kid now, gaming is not my focus any more. (Blasphemy I know.) I figured that since I have moved on, there is no reason to go back and post again.

Then I though about it. For 6ish years, (first as Recon117 then as Brain Virus) you guys were my friends. You were my digital family and I love you guys (and girls). You were the friends that I talked to when I had bad days. You were the friends that I wanted to tell first when good things happen. I miss you guys and everything you were to me.

We fought the fight
The battles won
Time to go now
And face the sun

Be brave soldier
This is not the end
Forever in heart
You will be my friend

I may not see you again
So keep your batteries fresh
And never forget
Halo is in our flesh

This is me. I am without a face...

I have spent almost 6 years on this website. I don't regret a single one. It was an honor serving you all, and being apart of this community. We have had our ups and downs, but this is the best online group of people I have ever met. Its been a pleasure.

Stay strong.

Finish the Fight

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

01-13-2014 , 01:11 PM

Nice to post here and see everyone again =) It's been a long time. Lots of great memories here. Congratulations, Bizz! It's nice to see this trick finally put to rest.

http://comicflop.blogspot.com/

My comedy blog. Under construction.