Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Technical Support
Technical Support All threads related to console/computer issues, movie making hardware/software, etc. can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
Turmolt Offline
Call Me Captain

Send a message via AIM to Turmolt
Xfering Music - 01-29-2007 , 07:16 PM

Well, my new Mac OS X Tiger Macbook Pro arrived today, and I'm pretty psyched. BUT there is one problem. I am quite the music-addict, and all my music is on the other computer (Windows XP) and I have no way of transferring the music because my MP3 player is a Samsung not an Ipod. Right now I'm trying different techniques, downloading WMP and exporting my music from my Mp3 player, but doubt that will work.

So, my question is: How can I transfer al 993MB of music from the Windows, to my laptop?

Thanks a bunch.

Old   
galador Offline
Corgi, I dare say...

01-29-2007 , 09:03 PM

You could probably set up network sharing on the Windows machine (for info on how to do that, check the tutorial I made here), and use "Windows Sharing" or something like that on the Mac to transfer the files to the new computer. Though that assumes that you have some sort of way to connect the two computers.

If that doesn't work, why not use a re-writable CD to transfer them.

Old   
Turmolt Offline
Call Me Captain

01-29-2007 , 10:33 PM

Doesn't seem to connect to the network on the mac...

No Music D=

Old   
wizdum Offline
Warning Explosives in Use

Send a message via AIM to wizdumSend a message via MSN to wizdum
01-30-2007 , 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turmolt
Doesn't seem to connect to the network on the mac...

No Music D=
what do you mean by "doesn't seem to connect"?
can you see the network on the mac?
have you tried all the different folders under the network one? (my network, servers, local network, etc.)

Old   
Turmolt Offline
Call Me Captain

01-30-2007 , 06:01 PM

What I mean is that when I go to see who is in my network on my Windows, it says that there is only that computer there, not a mac.

Can you give me a tutorial on how to connect to that on the Mac?

OR

Both computers have iTunes, so maybe I could use that somehow? Maybe?

Old   
wizdum Offline
Warning Explosives in Use

Send a message via AIM to wizdumSend a message via MSN to wizdum
01-30-2007 , 09:50 PM

Windows has issues with shareing, so you have to go on the mac side.

you need to share your music folder on a windows network. this is done by right clicking in the folder, and choosing "properties" then going to the shareing tab and checking the box "share this folder on the network"

then you go on the mac, click anywhere on the desktop, and then click "go" on the top menu bar, and choose "network" this will open up a window with a bunch of folders in it, one should be called whatever you named your network. in that folder will be a list of the PC's currently connected to the network. DOuble click on the computer that you want to connect to, it will promt you for a login, just click ok, then choose the shared folder you want to access. It will appear on the desktop.

Old   
galador Offline
Corgi, I dare say...

01-31-2007 , 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdum
then you go on the mac, click anywhere on the desktop, and then click "go" on the top menu bar, and choose "network" this will open up a window with a bunch of folders in it, one should be called whatever you named your network. in that folder will be a list of the PC's currently connected to the network. DOuble click on the computer that you want to connect to, it will promt you for a login, just click ok, then choose the shared folder you want to access. It will appear on the desktop.
Also, if you know the IP address of the Windows machine, you can use that to connect (I've found that works much better when the Workgroups are messed up). At least on Windows, you can type "\\<ip address>" in the address bar, and it usually finds the computer.

I don't know exactly how it works on the Mac side, but it should be similar. Either type it into the address bar or use the "Go" command.