Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite High Speed Halo High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community
High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community The ultimate site for Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 speed runs.
Notices

Old   
scurty Offline

Halo 2 Easy Single Segment - 08-18-2007 , 07:09 PM

http://www.archive.org/details/scurty

Well, I decided to do a run through of the game and after a few attempts I think I have a pretty good showing. There is sword flying galore in the run, I think you guys would enjoy it very much.

I'll break down all the statistics I can for the run:

Code:
Armory           : 2:41  161s
Cairo Station    : 5:33  333s
Outskirts        : 4:25  265s
Metropolis       : 4:29  269s
Arbiter          : 4:21  261s
Oracle           : 13:24 804s (12:54 w No Deaths)
Delta Halo       : 3:24  204s
Regret           : 10:42 642s (10:12 w No Deaths)
Sacred Icon      : 7:49  469s
Quarantine Zone  : 8:36  516s (8:07 w No Deaths)
Gravemind        : 11:21 681s
Uprising         : 3:22  202s (2:01 w No Deaths)
High Charity     : 4:08  248s
The Great Journey: 7:18  438s

Time w/out Armory: 5332s
                   88mins 52 seconds
                   1:28:52

Time w Armory    : 5493s
                   91mins 33 seconds
                   1:31:33

Deaths by Level:

Oracle         : 2 (30 seconds lost)
  Regret         : 1 (30 seconds lost)
  Quarantine Zone: 1 (29 seconds lost)
  Uprising       : 3 (81 seconds lost)

Total Deaths: 7 (170 seconds, 2:50)

Time w/out Armory w/out Deaths: 1:26:02
Time w     Armory w/out Deaths: 1:28:43
That's everything I could come up with. Deaths were due to shortcuts.. Oracle was due to the sword fly over the circular room, Regret was at the beginning sword fly, QZ I fell off the gondola while trying to kill a flood, and Uprising was the fall at the end (very mad about that one). However, deaths aside, I think the run is very entertaining. I know you got 84:xx, slYnk, perhaps you would like to view this to see where you can speed things up? I perform every shortcut I can except flechette's crazy sword lunge on Gravemind, right after the hall way with the three brutes.

Not counting deaths, I only do horrible on Gravemind, nothing went right on that level for me, at all. Besides those, I think it's a good run. Who would like to see it and how would I go about doing it?

Also, would this warrant acceptance over at SDA? I'd like to get a speed run over there. I'm not sure if Cody submitted his over there, I don't see why they wouldn't accept it.

Last edited by scurty; 08-20-2007 at 12:53 AM. .

Old   
djDAP Offline

Send a message via AIM to djDAPSend a message via MSN to djDAP
08-18-2007 , 07:11 PM

Congratulations! Hope I helped encourage you some.
I'd really like to see this run. A very low WMV (why should I care if I have VLC, hmm) or any type would be fine, Mythica would be good so it isn't that huge (250mb max).

Question about Cody's run for Cody or anyone that knows. How is his H2 Leg SS timed; Armory counted, levels load screens, end time at last attack on Final Boss or start of end scene, and why doesn't SDA have Cody's run?

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to NOKYARDSend a message via MSN to NOKYARDSend a message via Yahoo to NOKYARDSend a message via Skype™ to NOKYARD
08-18-2007 , 07:25 PM

are you going to upload to Internet Archive ? - i must watch this

Old   
scurty Offline

08-18-2007 , 07:35 PM

What compression should it be? I never did any of this before for a big run. The raw file is 4.57 gigs, I don't think any of you would want that, haha. Perhaps I'll do a 300kb h.264 codec version so it's smaller for you guys to download.

Edit: Actually, I just tested out a 64kb/s h.264 file and it looked great! I'll compress it at 64kb/s.

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to NOKYARDSend a message via MSN to NOKYARDSend a message via Yahoo to NOKYARDSend a message via Skype™ to NOKYARD
08-18-2007 , 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurty
What compression should it be?
if you are sending it to IA (and you should) a 700kbps h.264 mpeg4 with '700h264mpeg4' somewhere in the file name, and if you can, lighten it a bit

if you send them a lower res file, they will make it even lower and the quality will suffer

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

Send a message via AIM to LotsofLuckSend a message via Skype™ to LotsofLuck
08-18-2007 , 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOKYARD
if you are sending it to IA (and you should) a 700kbps h.264 mpeg4 with '700h264mpeg4' somewhere in the file name, and if you can, lighten it a bit

if you send them a lower res file, they will make it even lower and the quality will suffer
Yea, Internet Archive is great, it's just a little confusing how to upload (first you make an "article", give the article all your info, then you have 48 hours to upload it to the article, and their connection is REALLY slow...).

I'd like to see it. You beat two level records, so I'd at least like to see those parts.

Old   
scurty Offline

08-18-2007 , 09:21 PM

I was originally going to upload to mythica but the filesize was going over 200mb, so I'm going to reencode it at 720 kb/s and upload it to IA.

It might be a day or two before it shows up here, sorry guys!

Old   
scurty Offline

08-19-2007 , 03:54 PM

How long does it take IA to make the smaller versions?

I was letting the upload run over night but the internet went out so I had to restart. My trial for SmartFTP apparently ran out so I couldn't pick up from where I left off in IE.

There's about 7 hours left on the upload.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

08-19-2007 , 04:15 PM

I'm interested in Delta Halo, Sacred Icon and The Great Journey. My times have always been uncharacteristically high for those three levels, same with Oracle, but my time for Oracle ties your time, so atleast I know I'm not crazy on that level. I could probably get a 1:23:XX if I improve those three levels, maybe even lower. Haha @ Uprising and dying. When you see what I'm doing for that level, you will kick yourself.

Old   
scurty Offline

08-19-2007 , 04:28 PM

Oh, for the next time I ever attempt a SS, I'll be trying to find that spot Cody went down on.

But for everything else I died on (for shortcuts) I'll still be doing those shortcuts no matter what. I'd want the time as low as possible and if it means dying on the shortcuts, I'll just practice harder for next time.

I'm really proud of the Armory though! I blazed through that level no problem!

You'll see what saves the most time on Sacred Icon. Of course I got lucky and was able to get a rocket but I did something before that of which isn't in any speedruns on this site.. as of yet.

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

08-19-2007 , 05:15 PM

Quote:
You'll see what saves the most time on Sacred Icon. Of course I got lucky and was able to get a rocket but I did something before that of which isn't in any speedruns on this site.. as of yet.
just a note to anybody doing SS runs

make a list of highlights and PM them to LoL, include any new techniques and shortcuts or anything you want to have pointed out - it makes the news post easier to write

also include the permalink to the HSH news post on the IA page

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

08-19-2007 , 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOKYARD
just a note to anybody doing SS runs

make a list of highlights and PM them to LoL, include any new techniques and shortcuts or anything you want to have pointed out - it makes the news post easier to write

also include the permalink to the HSH news post on the IA page
Yea, that will make my life a whole lot easier.

Yea, the code for linking to the HSH newspost (the link next to the date for every newspost, like this: http://highspeedhalo.net/?news&id=1), if anyone wants to know, is:

<a href=website name>linky part</a>.

Similar to the [url= website name]linky[/ url], if you remove the spaces...
Quote:
How long does it take IA to make the smaller versions?
I don't know, but when the article is ready for viewing, all the versions will be ready.

I tried using an FTP program for IA, but found it was easier just to use the Internet Explorer app they have, but either way, their upload rate is really slow.

Old   
EvilHom3r Offline

08-19-2007 , 07:18 PM

wait he got the same time as me on high charity do i still have it or is he??????

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

08-19-2007 , 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHomer
wait he got the same time as me on high charity do i still have it or is he??????
You got 4:07. He got 4:08. You still have the record.

In general, I think you have to beat the time by 1 second to replace the previous owner.

Old   
scurty Offline

08-19-2007 , 10:09 PM

Okay, it's up now, but it doesn't look as good as Cody's page, how can I spice it up with thumbnails and the "THis is part of our Speedruns section?"

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

08-19-2007 , 11:45 PM

1 MB download, only 633.8 to go....I can't wait!

Old   
Cody Miller Offline
Welcome to Cody

08-20-2007 , 12:13 AM

This is great man, can't wait to download this. I'll comment/post it tomorrow. One thing though. Why is this under 'Open Source Movies' rather than 'Speedruns'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djDAP
Question about Cody's run for Cody or anyone that knows. How is his H2 Leg SS timed; Armory counted, levels load screens, end time at last attack on Final Boss or start of end scene, and why doesn't SDA have Cody's run?
Twin Galaxies timed the run from the moment I turned on the xbox, until the last cutscene began. This was realtime, and the armory was counted, as well as loading times. The policy here at HSH is to time from when you first gain control of the character rather than power on.

SDA doesn't have this run because I haven't submitted it to them.

Old   
scurty Offline

08-20-2007 , 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Miller
One thing though. Why is this under 'Open Source Movies' rather than 'Speedruns'?
I don't know. I couldn't find an option for it. I'm sure I can edit it later on? I need to fix a few things including the title and that part you mentioned. I'm not too familiar with IA though so I can't say for sure if it'll get fixed.

Also, I had to record this to my VCR because my setup of recording straight to my computer doesn't work anymore for me. Therefore, the quality isn't as good as I'd want it. However, full screen-ing the video it's bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Miller
SDA doesn't have this run because I haven't submitted it to them.
How about submitting both of our runs, slYnki's full game run, and cheese4u32 & Numbnuts9's co-op run all at once?

Old   
EvilHom3r Offline

08-20-2007 , 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsofLuck
You got 4:07. He got 4:08. You still have the record.

In general, I think you have to beat the time by 1 second to replace the previous owner.
oh yeah i fought i got 4.08 aswell studit me thank god my runs still

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

08-20-2007 , 03:47 AM

Quote:
how can I spice it up with thumbnails
they do all of that - it just takes a few days