Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo 1 and 2 Forum Halo 1 Campaign and Multiplayer Tricks and Glitches
Halo 1 Campaign and Multiplayer Tricks and Glitches All tricks and eggs related to Halo 1 only can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
Sniper16 Offline

Finding The Yeti Flood - 04-20-2009 , 07:34 PM

I just recently got inspired to track down the Yeti Flood that appear in the first map of 343GS.

I managed to track down four trippoints and spawing locations of a total of 9 YFs, 3 of which die immediately after spawning. Apparently the surviving ones are "invincible", i.e., don't stay down no matter how many times I shoot them down or grenade them, but I found two that could be "captured" by positioning myself to block their path. (It ain't easy, but it's possible. I was only able to manage it 3 times in over probably a couple dozen tries.)

I know tracking and shooting Yeti Flood has to have been done before. Anybody know any vids on it?

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

04-20-2009 , 07:43 PM

What's a yeti flood?

Edit: I still don't understand.

Old   
Lone Starr Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lone StarrSend a message via MSN to Lone StarrSend a message via Skype™ to Lone Starr
04-21-2009 , 12:49 AM

When you are crossing that one log on 343 at the beginning if you look at your radar you will see yellow dots. Those are the yeti flood, if you go up top at beginning (throw a bunch of nades the second you get control at start and the pelican will fly you outside the map) you can see the yeti flood up top.

I haven't heard anything about them being invincible though that could lead to some crazy tricks to be done...

Old   
-=MaToR=- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -=MaToR=-Send a message via MSN to -=MaToR=-Send a message via Yahoo to -=MaToR=-
04-21-2009 , 01:12 AM

Yeah man. Like yeti flood buddy ftw lol! :P

I wana see a yeti flood buddy ontop of the tower at the end of 343 GS! :o

Lol.

Old   
Sniper16 Offline

04-21-2009 , 02:03 PM

Oh.

Being relatively new on this forum I assumed the wizened vets here would know all about the Yeti Flood, so called because they are elusive and seen only fleetingly in the distance. This is because as the player trips various trip-points traveling through the first map, they spawn briefly, most of them run a short distance, then vanish. By the time you notice the yellow blip on your motion tracker and turn to sight it, it's ready to vanish--that's if you're very fast. Some of them spawn and run completely out of sight from the trip-point and can't be seen at all if you don't have a second player already in place to watch them.

I don't believe for a moment that I can be the first to track them down, but since nobody's posted back yet with more information, here's what I know:

There are 4 trip-points (that I have found) that cause Yeti Flood to spawn. The trip-point crossing the trunk of the fallen tree (log) is the 4th. As far as I know right now, it spawns 3 YFs, one that dies and drops immediately and 2 that run a zig-zag and vanish.

A few (4 that I've located as of this time) spawn and immediately die, falling where they spawned. Sometimes they drop plasma grenades (which is how I inferred they were alive at the moment they spawned, as opposed to spawning already dead.)

They ignore you. They're completely non-hostile, which is why they show up as yellow blips on your trackers. Their sole pupose is to spawn, run, and vanish.

Most (I think) spawn, run a short distance and then vanish. Per my observations, they always spawn in exactly the same place and run exactly the same path (if unobstructed) and vanish in the same place. So it's just routine tracking to locate them in Co-op.

As of last night, I have located 11 YFs (Yeti Floodies), 4 die-ers and 7 runners. By "located", I mean I know which trip-point spawns them and exactly where they'll spawn and the path they'll take when they do. It is possilbe (not easy but possible) to block the path of three of those (that I know of) and "capture" them running in place between a Co-op player and a tree.

You can only do this on Co-op because one player has to run through and trip the trip-points. Most of the YFs spawn up on top, but 2 (that I know of) spawn in "normal-access" areas, one near the "Structure" and one in a low part of the swamp, in water.

As for getting on top of the map--it's not necessary to throw more than one grenade. At the beginning of the level, press and hold the grenade button during the cutscene so you throw it even before you get any other control of the player. That one grenade thrown will cause your player to stay in the pelican until it lands up top and you can X-out.
(Note: The heads-up display doesn't tell you to press X to exit the pelican. Just do it when you land. There is more of a delay than normal when you are X-ing in or out of other things--don't panic, just give it a second.)

(The ones that spawn and immediately die are still a bit of a mystery. I have a feeling that's due to a program bug that wasn't worth the trouble to fix, and nobody was supposed to get up top and see them anyway; so they just left them in the game. Just a guess.)

Now about that invincibility: The running ones can be shot (or blown) down if you shoot them as soon as they spawn; but they don't stay down. I've shot and grenaded one as many as three times and it got up again and finished its run and vanished.

If you manage to interpose your player next to a tree so that the YF can't get past you--(this is not easy to do)--and catch it running in place, it then exhibits true invincibility: Shots have no effect on it beyond blowing off its head and arms.

Sorry, I don't have video capability so a walk-through is all I can offer if anyone's interested.
I'm still waiting for one of the old-timers on here to post and tell me it's all be done and hopefully give a video link. I'm still not sure I've found all the YFs there are.

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

04-21-2009 , 08:06 PM

pics or vids of it please? (EDIT: I reread your post and saw you can't make vids or pics. my bad) i've never heard of this before until now! i searched in the older forums (as you can see in my post above), and i sort of understand the concept, but i don't know what they look like. is it like the flood that captain keys turned into?

sorry for bein such a n00b.

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 04-22-2009 at 10:21 PM. .

Old   
Wunobi Offline
Churnedrock

Send a message via AIM to WunobiSend a message via Skype™ to Wunobi
04-21-2009 , 08:47 PM

I've seen professional Mongolian contortionists do that
(:
seriously tho you did some pretty dirty work to find those guys didnt yah? haha nice man

Old   
-=MaToR=- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -=MaToR=-Send a message via MSN to -=MaToR=-Send a message via Yahoo to -=MaToR=-
04-22-2009 , 02:21 PM

What does I've seen professional Mongolian contortionists do that mean?

And Orange Soda King, he can't do that because he doesn't have video capability. Idk who would have screenshots, maybe you should find some somewhar?

Old   
Thaa Gamer Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Thaa Gamer
04-22-2009 , 02:36 PM

I've seen professional Mongolian contortionists do that means Old but goob job finding it on your own.

Nice job, anyway. It's the first time I've actually seen the flood standing up on the tree, that makes the level even scarier for me

Old   
-=MaToR=- Offline

04-22-2009 , 04:57 PM

Wut? In a tree?

Where?

o.O'

Old   
Thaa Gamer Offline

04-22-2009 , 05:31 PM

On the fallen tree, which you pass.

Old   
cbyersh3 Offline

04-22-2009 , 08:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHDXP0cAyM

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

04-22-2009 , 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbyersh3 View Post
Was it at 1:20? I saw the yellow dots on the radar. (I've seen them before, but I never thought anything of them!), but I didn't see the actual Yeti Flood themself.

EDIT: Whoa! AT :37, I very faintly saw one! I had to watch it in HQ and full screen to notice it though.

Old   
cbyersh3 Offline

04-23-2009 , 12:08 AM

yeah sorry my capture card was being gay. but yeah there was one in the swamp and one on top of the tree.

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

04-23-2009 , 07:49 AM

Oh okay yeah i saw then faintly at :13 and :37

Old   
Thaa Gamer Offline

04-23-2009 , 09:13 AM

You can see the one on :13 easier if you go below the crashed covenant cruiser, you can even see it spawning if you go slowly forward, always looking on the tree.

Old   
Sniper16 Offline

04-23-2009 , 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaa Gamer View Post
You can see the one on :13 easier if you go below the crashed covenant cruiser, you can even see it spawning if you go slowly forward, always looking on the tree.
You can see all of them close up and personal if you play it in Co-op and place one player in place before the trip-points are tripped; then have the second player trip the trip-point.

You can even "capture" three (that I know of) between you and a tree because apparently the AI can't tell very well if there's enough space to fit or not.

I'm a little surprised. I thought this would be old hat--I don't mean knowing about the YFs, I mean knowing how to get a really good look at all of them.

Here's a walkthrough I can give of how to see-up-close and possibly "capture" one. This is the quickest and easiest YF to see and capture.

(1)Play Co-op, let both players hop off the pelican at the beginning. You're going after the lowest-spawning one.

(2) Take the Short Cut: Facing the abandoned pelican, head to the left of it, at its nose. (This avoids the first team of Covies that you don't even have to mess with, and engaging them is the long way around anyway.)

When you arrive at the pelican, travel along the bank it's settled against, keeping the bank on your right with the pelican behind you. After you have passed around the corner completely out of sight of the pelican, proceed until you arrive at a small boulder-and-fern combination along the bank.

At this point you are in sight of the niche up ahead that's a dead end but can be crouch-jumped out of for the Short Cut that lets you bypass all of the low-lying Covies. But stay where you are for now.

Still standing at the boulder-and-fern, note the tree up ahead that you'd pass closest to if you keep going along the bank. It has a tall fern right against it.
This YF spawns right in that fern.

I'd recommend having player 1 stand close to that tree-and-fern, and send player 2 up to crouch-jump out of the "dead-end" niche. You'll be near the roots of the Fallen Tree Log on your left.

Although you don't have to use the log, I recommend it because it lets you see exactly where the trip-point is tripped, for future reference. Run P2 up to either end, but left is easiest to get on from this approach.
Run across the log (this will be in the opposite direction than you ususally do) with P1 watching the tree-and-fern. If you followed directions, you'll see the YF spawn, hesitate a moment, run close past another tree (to the left if you're still looking from the boulder-and-fern), then pause, turn left, and run over near another tree and vanish.

That's the preliminary sighting so you can see its path. Now...if you'd like a longer and closer look at this elusive character, it's the easiest to catch.

Now that you've seen the tree that it passes closest to right after it spawns, go back to the checkpoint and return to where it spawns. Place P1 next the tree it runs past, with almost enough room to let P2 pass between P1 and the tree.

It's important that you allow the maximum space between P1 and the tree that still stops P2 from passing between. If P1 stands too close to the tree, the YF will just run around the other side of P1.

(The flaw we're exploiting here is that the YF's AI can't accurately judge how much room it needs to pass. I've worked shades into place here and discovered that anytime the AI decides the YF's path is completely blocked, then the YF vanishes immediately, wherever it is. So you have to trick it into thinking it can get by.)

After you've got P1 into position so that P2 can almost-but-not-quite run straight from the spawning fern place directly past that other tree, leave P1 in place and send P2 up to trip Trip-point 4 on the Fallen Tree.

One warning: This usually works but I did have the YF slip through once when P2 wasn't able to. However, that was only once out of maybe a dozen times I've done it so far, so the clearance is pretty easy to get right.

P1 will see the Yeti Flood spawn in the fern cluster and run to his (P1's) left to get stuck running between P1 and the tree. At this point you can bring P2 back down to watch the running-in-place excercise from other angles.

Another warning: If you bring P2 close in front of the YF, it will then percieve that its way is blocked and run around the other side of P1. It's safe to come up behind it and whack it or shoot it or whatever suits your fancy. Standing on top of it sometimes causes it to vanish, and sometimes causes it to go around P1.

Have fun.

P.S.: Sorry I can't do a vid. Hopefully now somebody with video capability will follow the walkthrough and let everybody know what it looks like.

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

04-23-2009 , 09:09 PM

Sniper, you have really gone in depth with this! I'm impressed! I have to try this!

Could one person do this with two controllers on co-op, positioning 1 at a time, or do separate and competent (spelling?) individuals have to do this?

I would practice this and make the vid, but I don't have a capture card either.

Old   
Sniper16 Offline

04-23-2009 , 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King View Post
What's a yeti flood?

Edit: I still don't understand.

Orange Soda King, I have to admit at this point that I didn't notice your link back when you posted it. I'm glad I went back--it makes me feel really good about what I uncovered.

I can't understand what was going on back 3 years ago! These YFs are really simple to find in Co-op.....why in the world would somebody mod his Xbox to video them? And why did nobody else find at least 11 (counting the 4 dead ones)?

BTW, I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that trapping them was difficult--that was before I realized that it was as simple as using both Co-op players to guage the space to trap it in.

Oh, another BTW--does everybody here know that there's a place where a Co-op player can climb up top without a shade launch? That makes going back and forth up top possible for both players without a lot of work. You can do it Solo but it takes more work or skill.

Does anybody else have a link to more archived info on former Yeti Flood threads? I'm beginning to wonder if I am the only one to follow up and track all these elusive characters down...............? It's hard to believe because it's way too easy--all it requires is a bit of patient tracking, really.

Old   
Sniper16 Offline

04-23-2009 , 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King View Post
Sniper, you have really gone in depth with this! I'm impressed! I have to try this!

Could one person do this with two controllers on co-op, positioning 1 at a time, or do separate and competent (spelling?) individuals have to do this?

That's how I was doing it. There wouldn't actually be any advantage in having a second person. If you know how to crouch-jump, that's really the only competence required.

I'm not especially skilled at playing--I mostly rely on finding techniques and tactics to get me through the rough spots.