Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite High Speed Halo High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community
High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community The ultimate site for Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 speed runs.
Notices

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to NOKYARDSend a message via MSN to NOKYARDSend a message via Yahoo to NOKYARDSend a message via Skype™ to NOKYARD
HighSpeedHalo.net Site Update - 02-16-2010 , 03:26 PM

This topic is where i will be keeping you informed about the progress of the HighSpeedHalo.net site update.

The new site will be video player based and will feature simple navigation and search functions. You will soon be able to search for runs based on game, mission and even runner. We will be using the YouTube API which means in the future you may also be able to create custom playlists, embed the run video on other sites, and comment on runs. We plan to offer HD 720p video for new runs (once i get a new cap card), although we may stick to 360p.

User accounts will be required to add content to the site.

Runners will use their accounts for submitting runs and commenting on other's runs. I may make it optional for runners to write their own news article, or post the runs without articles if they wish, to have them posted much sooner.

Staff Writers will use their accounts for submitting and editing news articles. This process will be greatly improved. All you will have to do is login, select a submitted run, write or edit the article text, press a button. The rest will be automatically done for you and the run will post when the video has been uploaded.

Admins will use their accounts for submitting and editing news articles, and uploading video. This will be a very simple form-based procedure.

Once the site is up and running we will be migrating all current runs to the new system. It will take time to match the news items to their respective run video so we will link to the current run tables until the transfer is complete. All present runners, staff writers, and admins will need to have an account registered before the site goes live. To simplify the procedure and make the search function work from day one, i will open up account registration as soon as i can. For all present runners and staff who do not open accounts i will start one for you and will then PM your password to you.

The 'search by runner' functionality will only work if the runner's account name exactly matches the name on the run video. If you are a runner and would like your name changed (the name you run under as it will appear in the video, or the name of your account on the site) please let me know in this topic. If you don't mention it here you will not be able to change it after the migration starts.

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to NOKYARDSend a message via MSN to NOKYARDSend a message via Yahoo to NOKYARDSend a message via Skype™ to NOKYARD
02-16-2010 , 03:26 PM

reserved

Old   
IrishMann313 Offline

Send a message via AIM to IrishMann313
02-16-2010 , 03:36 PM

Thanks Noky........

when are me and BigMann getting our t-shirts? :P

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

02-16-2010 , 03:38 PM

when i get a mailing address from your brother

and when i can find the shipping tube under the huge pile of rubble Oracle's cat created when he knocked over the cardboard box mountain

Old   
Rorcin Offline

Send a message via AIM to RorcinSend a message via MSN to Rorcin
02-16-2010 , 09:28 PM

Sounds awesome, can't wait!

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

02-17-2010 , 12:44 AM

does anybody know who owns the highspeedhalo YouTube account?

Old   
Lone Starr Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lone StarrSend a message via MSN to Lone StarrSend a message via Skype™ to Lone Starr
02-17-2010 , 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOKYARD View Post
does anybody know who owns the highspeedhalo YouTube account?
LOL! One video, and hasn't logged in 2 years. Gotta love that.

What about HSHnet as the name? It's shorter, and works. Anyways good luck on the site, sounds like you're pretty organized.

PS: 480p is seems like a better standard BTW. Maybe it's just me. xD

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

02-17-2010 , 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Starr View Post
PS: 480p is seems like a better standard BTW. Maybe it's just me. xD
I am trying to find a solution which will also work on iPhones and other mobile devices.

I do want 720p for the quality but spreading the uploads over several months to keep under my bandwidth cap would be counterproductive to what i am trying to achieve. I think i would prefer to have awesome looking 360p video, and reserve 720p runs for Legendary SP records. Next week i will be running encoding tests and posting the results here.

Old   
Cody Miller Offline
Welcome to Cody

02-17-2010 , 10:56 PM

How are you going to get around the ten minute limit?

Old   
BigGruntyThirst Offline
Uh-huh. Yeah dawg.

Send a message via MSN to BigGruntyThirst
02-17-2010 , 11:07 PM

As far as your post earlier about getting pictures for the levels, I can do it for Halo PC if I can figure out why my flycam gives me an exception error on Windows 7. If anyone can shed any light on that, I'll do it.

Old   
Vulcan Offline
Playing Hat Fortress 2

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan
02-17-2010 , 11:14 PM

Downgrade to version 1.07

I tried, but my print screen wasn't working.

Old   
Lone Starr Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lone StarrSend a message via MSN to Lone StarrSend a message via Skype™ to Lone Starr
02-17-2010 , 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Miller View Post
He is just taking the YT player that Youtube uses and modifying it. Then he will upload the videos on his on site. The 10 minute limit is only on Youtube not the player itself. =/

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

02-18-2010 , 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Miller View Post
3 possibilities

the first 2 solutions would require longer videos to be stored locally - this would make the upload process and searches slightly more difficult to program but the end user will see no difference, other than the missing YouTube logo

also looking into an alternative to YouTube - this looks promising so far but i am waiting for them to get back to me on a few questions i have - they offer a way more features than YouTube like encoding several flavours of the video - the player selects the optimal version for various browsers and bandwidth, mobile devices, and Web 2.0 enabled devices like newer TV's

Old   
N8ked Eli Offline

N8ked Eli - 02-20-2010 , 12:59 AM

I'm really excited to see how the technology boost will change the face of highspeedhalo.

Thanks NOKYARD for taking the initiative on this. Your drive and enthusiasm inspires the rest of us in the speed running community.

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

02-20-2010 , 01:10 PM

where did all the posts about new images go?

Old   
T3h Boar Offline

02-20-2010 , 02:36 PM

Wicked messed up on the forum and it reverted 16 hours so TECHNICALLY we all went back in time persay. But yeah I can get those pics of spidey.

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

02-20-2010 , 04:49 PM

anyway, here are the new images for H3

keep in mind the final images will be 560x128 (i will crop) so if you are going to supply images from Halo CE & Halo 2 your subject matter should be more horizontal than vertical

mouseover will show the text names of the missions (for future localization)

going to play through ODST next to grab some screens

Last edited by NOKYARD; 03-14-2010 at 05:07 AM. .

Old   
Rorcin Offline

02-20-2010 , 10:51 PM

I think you should replace the Floodgate one with a picture of me.

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

Send a message via AIM to LotsofLuckSend a message via Skype™ to LotsofLuck
02-21-2010 , 02:21 AM

Very cool NOKYARD! It's alway fun to look at the differences between the Halo games pictures....

Old   
Rorcin Offline

02-21-2010 , 03:21 AM

I was talking to NOKYARD today while he was taking ODST screenshots.