Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Non-Halo Discussion Forum Technical Support
Technical Support All threads related to console/computer issues, movie making hardware/software, etc. can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
xskarface Offline
See ya laser ;)

Send a message via MSN to xskarface
Backing up before a reformat? - 07-02-2010 , 07:51 PM

So I recently decided that im going to reformat my computer, once again and this time im all out of blank DVD's. I currently do not have the money to invest in any, or a flash drive but I do need to wipe this computer clean ASAP. So my question for you guys is, is there any other way to save my files before I reformat? I heard from a friend that I can make a new partition and move everything to that, and then move it back after the re-install. If this is true, how would I go about doing this, and if not how should I go about fixing my problem?

Old   
xskarface Offline
See ya laser ;)

07-04-2010 , 04:28 PM

Apparently im going to have to just buy some blank DVD's because it seems that nobody has any advice for me.

Old   
Bob NLD Offline

07-04-2010 , 05:50 PM

Sorry, I'm no computer guru.... Google works for me whenever I want to know something:p

Old   
xskarface Offline
See ya laser ;)

07-04-2010 , 09:14 PM

I tried Google, but I couldn't find anything to do with my situation. Usually people here are quick to give advice because there is always someone who knows what they are talking about. I guess i'll just have to figure it out on my own.

Old   
Bob NLD Offline

07-05-2010 , 05:53 PM

Come on, isn't there anybody over here who can help this fellow out? Don't be shy, he won't bite, I promise

Btw, is this considered as bumping?

Old   
Spartan-043 Offline

07-05-2010 , 06:39 PM

No advice is being given because you've pretty much checked off every possibility. If you have no data storage available… you need to get some.

Old   
xskarface Offline
See ya laser ;)

07-05-2010 , 07:11 PM

So people let me sit here instead of telling me that ? And so wait, you can't just make a partition, and store everything on that and then copy it back after the reformat? And, no Bob, I don't bite lol.

Old   
jaggedShrapnel Offline
the j is uncapitalized

Send a message via AIM to jaggedShrapnelSend a message via MSN to jaggedShrapnel
07-05-2010 , 11:31 PM

If you have any remaining unallocated space on your hard drive, you can create a new partition. If you have free space that's not unallocated, you can use a program to turn it into unallocated space and then create the partition. From there you can move everything over, then format the partition with Windows.

Such a program is Acronis Disk Director, but it isn't free.

Old   
xskarface Offline
See ya laser ;)

07-07-2010 , 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advice jagged, finally someone who is willing to help me out. The only problem is, im not good with partitions or anything like that so unless I had a noob friendly step by step guide I probably won't be able to do it. I think I might just go and pick up a few blank DVD's. That worked last time, and it's a lot simpler.

Old   
jaggedShrapnel Offline
the j is uncapitalized

Send a message via AIM to jaggedShrapnelSend a message via MSN to jaggedShrapnel
07-07-2010 , 01:26 PM

Alright, whatever works.

Old   
ferrari Offline
DELETE COOKIES?!

Send a message via AIM to ferrari
07-11-2010 , 04:47 PM

You should probably invest in an external hdd.

I like to keep a copy of all my personal files on my external drive and then make a disk image after doing a clean install of Windows. That way I can just restore Windows to when I just installed it and then reinstall all my programs and copy all my music from the external drive whenever I need to.

I also only have a 256GB SSD in my laptop, so I can't keep all of my data on it, so an external drive is necessary.

What you should do without other storage media (if you're using Windows, please specifiy; but I'm guessing I'm too late now) is right click My Computer->Manage and go to Disk Management. Right click on your Windows installation drive (call this your C drive) and select Shrink Volume.

Allot enough space to put all of your files on the newly-opened space. Format this unallocated hdd space (call this D drive). Now copy all of your important files to-keep over.

Then go froodlenutzkie your C drive, reinstall, and copy all of your files from your D drive to your C drive.

Go back to the Disk Management page and delete the D drive, then right click on your C drive and select Expand. Enter the largest amount you can and you should be back at one partition for the entire drive, right where you started.

Note: there may be a partition called "System Reserve." Don't mess with this when making your D drive. Then when you go to reinstall Windows (from the installation CD/DVD I assume), make sure to delete both your C and "System Reserve" partitions. Windows will recreate both for you. Obviously don't delete your D drive at this step.

Old   
Marc05 Offline

07-15-2010 , 09:10 PM

If you are using Windows 7, then do this:
Start Menu>(Right Click)Computer>Manage>Disk Management
Select the hard drive you want to create a partition on then right click and select "Shrink Volume). Follow the wizard and make it whatever size you need (it will give you a limit). Then transfer your files over and reinstall Windows. Afterwards move the files back and redo the steps, but instead of clicking on "Shrink Volume", click on "Extend Volume" (you have to delete the other partition so it shows as unallocated space).

Another way is to not format, but instead just install windows over your current one. You should end up with a windows.old folder on your drive and I think some other place where your old user files are.

That's as far as I'm willing to go, for more detail: http://tinyurl.com/3y9sd66

Old   
nottaj Offline
Banned

Send a message via MSN to nottaj
07-16-2010 , 11:28 AM

Do you have an iPod/Zune? Because that's how I do it.

Otherwise, partitioning is the way to go. I keep all my media on separate partitions/drives from my OSs, partly for this reason and partly so I can access it from different OSs/computers. Feels good, man.

Old   
xskarface Offline
See ya laser ;)

07-16-2010 , 03:27 PM

I have already reformatted the computer, but thanks for all the suggestions because that will make it easier if I ever have to do it again. The only thing is, I do have vista, and when I reformatted, I did it through windows with the clean install of Vista on a separate partition of my drive. It came like that when I got the computer. I'm usually pretty tech savvy but when it comes to partitioning and stuff like that, I'm a total nooob.