Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite High Speed Halo High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community
High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community The ultimate site for Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 speed runs.
Notices

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

New Halo 1 Tricks - 11-22-2010 , 03:01 PM

Hey guys. Not much to say about this video. Just thought I'd throw a video together of some tricks you may not know about, but the bulk of which you can look forward to seeing in future runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wvSSjOu0p8

It features the new method for the first area on Halo-Halo which I've mentioned to a lot of you, which should save well over 10 seconds. There's some new tricks on Silent Cartographer, which includes a wonderful slide jump of all things, and an easier, faster way of incorporating the overshield launch into a run. There's also an improved method for the reactor room on The Maw. There's little tricks on Guilty Spark, Library, T&R and AoTCR as well, T&R and AoTCR being the most useful.

The tricks on T&R are fairly random and luck based, and would be difficult to get right in an individual level run, but are great for segmented runs. The spot I fall to on AoTCR isn't new, but the way of performing the fall is new. I didn't time it against performing the earlier fall, so it may be just as fast. The little banshee slide is handy though. Pressing those switches can be a pain sometimes :P

http://comicflop.blogspot.com/

My comedy blog. Under construction.

Old   
Rorcin Offline

Send a message via AIM to RorcinSend a message via MSN to Rorcin
11-22-2010 , 08:33 PM

You're a psycho.

Old   
uberfoop Offline

11-22-2010 , 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
It features the new method for the first area on Halo-Halo which I've mentioned to a lot of you, which should save well over 10 seconds.
That's an odd effect. I guess the marine's yelling usually gives pause to the Covenant dropship drivers. Makes them unsure of themselves.

Quote:
and an easier, faster way of incorporating the overshield launch into a run.
That was truly a beautifully executed launch; I'm loving the frag timing used.
Also: whoa.

Quote:
There's also an improved method for the reactor room on The Maw.
That room is one of those little touches that's always awed me about HCE's aesthetic. I've always seen it as something you can see and enter the engine room from, but I've never really thought about reversing that relationship. Good use of terrain.

Quote:
Guilty Spark
You're pretty good at using Bungie's disheartening trick objects. Pretty soon you'll be riding flaming, broken elevators!
Also: flood abuse.

Old   
Insetik 47 Offline

11-22-2010 , 10:29 PM

Most people like to overemphasize their reactions for comedy, but when you did the double-flood-hit jump on 343, I literally just started going "Ohnonononononono". The timing... oh my, my head hurts...

But in the same level, I think crossing the broken lightbridge is old. Like, Spotcheck 2005 old. Unless the real trick in that is something else, then ok. It was just a bit strange seeing all these wild ideas then something everyone probably tried as soon as they got to that part.

But I also didn't know the Maw's engine room had that gap in the wall. I never looked up.

Old   
ExtremeYoshiFan Offline

11-22-2010 , 11:20 PM

Do you ever stop being awesome? You must have to work pretty hard, that was very amusing, I loved the grenade stacking jump, as well as the flood jump. I am awaiting full level runs now, the new runs should be fun to watch.

Old   
ermine Offline

11-23-2010 , 12:58 AM

After so long time, this. This was mind-blowing.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

11-23-2010 , 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorcin View Post
You're a psycho.
You haven't seen anything yet =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfoop
That's an odd effect. I guess the marine's yelling usually gives pause to the Covenant dropship drivers. Makes them unsure of themselves.
When I found this I was testing a theory of mine. I remember Nok saying a long time ago that he walked to the tunnel, then walked back and the warthog was there. I tried leading the marines away from the tower, which didn't work, then I tried making them angry and the dropships started coming down with zero delay. It makes sense. Like killing that marine as soon as you enter the ship on Truth and Reconciliation. Skips a chunk of dialog and saves time. Just wish I'd found it sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfoop
That was truly a beautifully executed launch; I'm loving the frag timing used.
Also: whoa.
Actually very easy to time too, and it's more powerful than just four plasma grenades. Best of all, getting the plasma grenades doesn't slow me down any. I figure this route will knock over 10 seconds off the current time. I'd use the route through the window, but it's a tad unforgiving... Also, I absolutely LOVE the slide jump. Didn't think about it until just a couple days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insetik 47
Most people like to overemphasize their reactions for comedy, but when you did the double-flood-hit jump on 343, I literally just started going "Ohnonononononono". The timing... oh my, my head hurts...

But in the same level, I think crossing the broken lightbridge is old. Like, Spotcheck 2005 old. Unless the real trick in that is something else, then ok. It was just a bit strange seeing all these wild ideas then something everyone probably tried as soon as they got to that part.

But I also didn't know the Maw's engine room had that gap in the wall. I never looked up.
Hehe, the double flood jump may only save a second or so, and you can never really tell if both flood will be set up perfectly, so it's just a fun little trick you'd see in segmented runs. You can always get a little boost from one of the flood, makes crossing the usual gap easier =)

Crossing the lightbridge is old. I did it myself a few years ago. There are new things you can do with it though. If you're lucky, you can drop a frag on it and jump off of it before the bridge disappears, which saves a second or so. Or you can stick one of the flood on the ground and have him jump up into you, which is always fun ^_^

As for the gap in the wall, I hoped it would make an appearance in... a certain project, but we never found a way to incorporate it. Now it's possible that we might, the way I did it. I'll have to test it with the new route for the reactor room, since I took the route insidi0us laid out. Yes, there's a new, much faster route. You will all get to see it soon. Perhaps we will improve the run in the future =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeYoshiFan
Do you ever stop being awesome? You must have to work pretty hard, that was very amusing, I loved the grenade stacking jump, as well as the flood jump. I am awaiting full level runs now, the new runs should be fun to watch.
Not that I'm aware...

XD

Thanks Yoshi. I plan on speedrunning a lot after my big projects are done. I have a launch video and a jump video in the works. After that there's a lot of projects I'd like to revisit, but the times table will be open. I'm most excited for a new Silent Cartographer run, if only just because of the slide jump. It's so awesome =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermine
After so long time, this. This was mind-blowing.
Thanks bud!

Oh and hey, frontpage on HSH. Didn't expect that. Thanks to whomever hooked me up with that!

Old   
N8ked Eli Offline

11-23-2010 , 05:57 PM

I never speedran Halo 1, but I did watch vids for Halo 1 and Halo 2 before getting my own xbox and playing Halo 3.

Neat little tricks, of course some are old but still fun to share. I remember watching that overshield launch on your Silent Cartographer fun run, and was like OMFG THAT JUST HAPPENED

Old   
Vulcan Offline
Playing Hat Fortress 2

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan
11-23-2010 , 10:49 PM

That's odd that Marine dialog would be the cause the dropship to fall faster.
I remember when running Halo for FPH, that the dropships tended not to fall if you were too close to them before they started falling, but I never payed attention to the Marines talking.

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

Send a message via AIM to LotsofLuckSend a message via Skype™ to LotsofLuck
11-24-2010 , 01:24 AM

Quote:
As for the gap in the wall, I hoped it would make an appearance in... a certain project, but we never found a way to incorporate it. Now it's possible that we might, the way I did it. I'll have to test it with the new route for the reactor room, since I took the route insidi0us laid out. Yes, there's a new, much faster route. You will all get to see it soon. Perhaps we will improve the run in the future =)
At this rate, you'll have to redo that certain project with all the shortcuts you've come up with.

I thought you had to keep the marines alive in order to "pass" that part of Halo. I guess if the Covenant kill them, that's bad, but if Master Chef goes wacko, that's ok

I'm a little confused on the Maw trick. It looks like you shot the reactor with the rocket when it was just barely open. Does this work normally (i.e. wow, I didn't know Halo was that broken), or was there some trick to the timing?

No, My Maw run, my precious.....course, if you can nail these tricks plus the rafters, you sir are a boss....

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

11-24-2010 , 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsofLuck View Post
At this rate, you'll have to redo that certain project with all the shortcuts you've come up with.

I'm a little confused on the Maw trick. It looks like you shot the reactor with the rocket when it was just barely open. Does this work normally (i.e. wow, I didn't know Halo was that broken), or was there some trick to the timing?
I will redo that certain project. Not anytime soon, but it's definitely on my list of things to do.

As for the maw trick, I just shot the flap right after I pressed the switch to open up the reactor, and it exploded. Didn't even think of trying that before :P

Old   
RC Master Offline

11-24-2010 , 03:08 PM

Quote:
Oh and hey, frontpage on HSH. Didn't expect that. Thanks to whomever hooked me up with that!
It was Nokyard

Old   
NOKYARD Offline
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to NOKYARDSend a message via MSN to NOKYARDSend a message via Yahoo to NOKYARDSend a message via Skype™ to NOKYARD
11-25-2010 , 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Master View Post
It was Nokyard
You know you guys are free to post tutorials on the site. You can even link to your YouTube account for the video.