Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo Related Categories Halo Trick Jumping Forum
Halo Trick Jumping Forum All Halo trick jumping discussion goes here. Clans, videos, competitions, superbouncing, this is the place.
Notices
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old   
Joshington's Avatar
Joshington Offline
 
Posts: 1,719
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jumping is Dead
Send a message via AIM to Joshington
12-08-2010 , 04:42 PM


i have a theory...

try thinking like this just because you land a jump doesnt mean it should go in a video

  #22  
Old   
nate pahlow's Avatar
nate pahlow Offline
 
Posts: 396
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: If you wont die for me, you will die because of me.
Send a message via AIM to nate pahlow
12-08-2010 , 04:56 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by ILJoshNgton View Post
i have a theory...

try thinking like this just because you land a jump doesnt mean it should go in a video
Indubitably, the way I tell if a jump is good enough for a montage is if I get approval by maby 2 - 3 good jumpers...
(josh, twisted, caleb) lol kinda a weird set of people....

  #23  
Old   
XEPICXJumper Offline
 
Posts: 25
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North carolina
12-08-2010 , 10:28 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy o View Post
Look, the video is bad. But that doesnt mean that you shouldent keep trying. You just need to make the video more suitable for everyone and by that i mean try landing better jumps. Ask a friend that jumps. They will usually help you out. Also partners(where both of you do something) catch people's eyes alot. if you do all this (WITH STYLE) you will have a good video, the editing wasnt spctacualr but it wasnt the worst of seen. So im going with magic on this. Keep at it! Instead of trying to just "Edit" Try to gain skill in editing try doing transitions and things you never done before. You can really make the video look better.
-Coy
Lol no one really "Helps me out" except for skulk but he jumps on reach, all the other jumpers dislike me or find my videos Horrific

  #24  
Old   
nate pahlow's Avatar
nate pahlow Offline
 
Posts: 396
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: If you wont die for me, you will die because of me.
Send a message via AIM to nate pahlow
12-08-2010 , 10:31 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by XEPICXJumper View Post
Lol no one really "Helps me out" except for skulk but he jumps on reach, all the other jumpers dislike me or find my videos Horrific
Bro, I got your back... Hit me up online, but I worn you. I am not that good of a jumper. Someone you should talk to about your jumps is probably anyone from PA or forthbound. They are very good at keeping secrets... :)

  #25  
Old   
Coy o's Avatar
Coy o Offline
 
Posts: 155
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RIP HIH
12-09-2010 , 10:14 AM


Quote:
Originally Posted by nate pahlow View Post
Bro, I got your back... Hit me up online, but I worn you. I am not that good of a jumper. Someone you should talk to about your jumps is probably anyone from PA or forthbound. They are very good at keeping secrets... :)
Don't listen to him, Nate is seriously an amazing jumper. ill help you out to bro. Add me on XBl i jump on Halo 3 still Gt: Coy o

  #26  
Old   
slYnki's Avatar
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB
 
Posts: 7,488
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Try and catch me
12-09-2010 , 01:47 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by XEPICXJumper View Post
Lol no one really "Helps me out"
I'll help!

For starters, the video was ok. It wasn't horrible like some people say. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it was ok. To me it gave off a vibe of "just starting to learn". It's like you guys had a basic understanding of all the tools, but perhaps couldn't use them all exactly the way you wanted. I saw a lot of potential though. Not only in terms of video quality, but in terms of jumps. It looked like you guys took the criticism you got on your previous videos and improved. You guys can still get better though. Here's some stuff you could improve on:


Jumps
The jumps were fairly good. My only complaint about them is that they were very repetitive. Not only in terms of technique, but in terms of location. There were a lot of fusion coil rubbles on Last Resort. I could tell you guys had a lot of good ideas, and it's definitely not a bad thing if they end up in the same area, but you want to stray away from just having one main technique. You want to switch up the areas where you're jumping, and you want a variety of different jumps on display. Rubbles can be great jumps, but there's a wonderful variety of jump techniques in Halo 3, so look into combining techniques for more interesting looking jumps.

The best way to get good at them is to have someone teach you. Maybe jump around with a large group of people, get good advice and tips and just keep practicing. Everyone in here was taught something about jumping at some point. It's how you get good at anything, just keep practicing.

Now, perhaps the most important lesson about jumping is filler content. This is something I learned a loooong time ago from the Jump Tactics crew. I remember I absolutely loved all the jumps I sent to Ollie, then I was disappointed that he cut a lot of what I thought were my better jumps out of my final video at the time. It wasn't until later did it occur to me that the jumps he cut would have just taken up space. You have to take a good look at your material and can't be afraid to cut jumps out. Does a simple rubble stand on its own if it's right beside like a triple ghost to double rubble? This is something you have to judge for yourself.

For example, I personally would have kept maybe three of those fusion coil rubbles on LR and either spaced them out nicely, or did something creative with the filming to nicely transition from one jump to the next. You have to consider how you want your video to flow. You never want your video to feel slapped together. You want it to flow nicely, feel like every inch of it was planned. Take your time on your videos and land the sickest jumps you can.

I've been applying this knowledge ever since I learned it, which is why it's taking me quite awhile to finish my newest jump video. It's taking even longer to finish my main tricking video. Over a year now, in fact, and I still have a lot more to go. Knowing what jumps you want to scrap takes time and experience, so it's ok if a couple filler jumps squeeze in here and there.


Editing
The editing in this video wasn't god awful, but it could stand some improvement. More than anything it felt rushed and sloppy to me. Like that pylon rubble on foundry. It kinda went to grayscale for a second, then sped up unnecessarily, then went in reverse... It was all over the place. You could have also trimmed quite a bit off of some clips. For instance, that rubble jump on Longshore to the window. You could have had the guy toss the grenade and jump, then edited in the landing in third person and called it a day.

More than anything, like I've said before, you want your editing to be very smooth and clean looking. Editing brings flow and style to your video. You never want to over edit something. Avoid adding flashes every couple seconds or going too crazy with slow-downs. You didn't do that here, but y'know, for future reference ^_^

The best thing to do is pick a good song right off the bat that you know you want to use, then tailor your video around it. Visualize how you want it to look. The most important aspect to editing, in my opinion, is a/v syncs. It's so simple and brings a great deal to a video. If you do a sick step stack and sync every grenade or rocket explosion with a drum beat, it adds a lot of style and makes the video that much more fun to watch. This is where you can add in subtle flashes or slow-downs or what have you, but you always want those additions to be subtle. Don't let them define your video.

You also need to spend a little more time on the intro and the credits. It's hard to put into words exactly how to improve on the intro and credits, but if you watch Origins or Novella or One For The Books, Shadows or LBYL3, that should give you an idea of how to improve on the intro and credits. You want them to be clean and smooth, just like the rest of the video. The most important lesson I can suggest is keeping the intro fairly short. This one dragged on for quite awhile. Like I said, just watch videos and get a good idea of what to do.


Filming
In my opinion, this may be the most important part of a video. Really, if you film something brilliantly, there's not a whole lot to improve on by the time you get to the editing stage. Then it could simply be a matter of just putting it all together (mostly). You want to spend a great deal of time on your filming. Look at all the possible angles. Maybe do something creative to transition from one jump to the next. Most of all you want the camera to be smooth. You want all the movements to be planned. You don't want to film 3/4 of a jump smoothly, then do a spastic move at the last second. Watch a lot of jumping videos to get a good idea of what filming should look like. It's hard to write it down, at least for me. Like I said before, you have to picture what you want your video to look like before you even start, then from there you can keep adding ideas, but you always want that original idea to remain.


The most important lesson of all is to take criticism well. You strike me as a younger person, and young people tend to over react or say mildly stupid things on the internet. I know I did. I look back on my old forum posts on speed demos archive for example and I cringe. It's virtually unavoidable, but you have to learn how to bite your tongue.

It's worth remembering that you can't appeal to all standards. Some people are going to like your video. Then some people are going to hate it for no reason at all, or some people will criticize your video harshly. It's a fine line, but it's pretty easy to judge where a person is coming from if you stop and think about it. You absolutely have to listen to that person who is being hard on you. You can't snap back at them. They're trying to help in their own way. Sometimes people just can't be really nice about it. You'll find the more you listen, the more you improve from one video to the next.


That's all I can think of. Hope all of that helps XD


http://comicflop.blogspot.com/

My comedy blog. Under construction.

  #27  
Old   
Joshington's Avatar
Joshington Offline
 
Posts: 1,719
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jumping is Dead
Send a message via AIM to Joshington
12-09-2010 , 02:01 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
I'll help!
why slynki why? lol

  #28  
Old   
nate pahlow's Avatar
nate pahlow Offline
 
Posts: 396
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: If you wont die for me, you will die because of me.
Send a message via AIM to nate pahlow
12-09-2010 , 02:33 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
I'll help!

For starters, the video was ok. It wasn't horrible like some people say. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it was ok. To me it gave off a vibe of "just starting to learn". It's like you guys had a basic understanding of all the tools, but perhaps couldn't use them all exactly the way you wanted. I saw a lot of potential though. Not only in terms of video quality, but in terms of jumps. It looked like you guys took the criticism you got on your previous videos and improved. You guys can still get better though. Here's some stuff you could improve on:


Jumps
The jumps were fairly good. My only complaint about them is that they were very repetitive. Not only in terms of technique, but in terms of location. There were a lot of fusion coil rubbles on Last Resort. I could tell you guys had a lot of good ideas, and it's definitely not a bad thing if they end up in the same area, but you want to stray away from just having one main technique. You want to switch up the areas where you're jumping, and you want a variety of different jumps on display. Rubbles can be great jumps, but there's a wonderful variety of jump techniques in Halo 3, so look into combining techniques for more interesting looking jumps.

The best way to get good at them is to have someone teach you. Maybe jump around with a large group of people, get good advice and tips and just keep practicing. Everyone in here was taught something about jumping at some point. It's how you get good at anything, just keep practicing.

Now, perhaps the most important lesson about jumping is filler content. This is something I learned a loooong time ago from the Jump Tactics crew. I remember I absolutely loved all the jumps I sent to Ollie, then I was disappointed that he cut a lot of what I thought were my better jumps out of my final video at the time. It wasn't until later did it occur to me that the jumps he cut would have just taken up space. You have to take a good look at your material and can't be afraid to cut jumps out. Does a simple rubble stand on its own if it's right beside like a triple ghost to double rubble? This is something you have to judge for yourself.

For example, I personally would have kept maybe three of those fusion coil rubbles on LR and either spaced them out nicely, or did something creative with the filming to nicely transition from one jump to the next. You have to consider how you want your video to flow. You never want your video to feel slapped together. You want it to flow nicely, feel like every inch of it was planned. Take your time on your videos and land the sickest jumps you can.

I've been applying this knowledge ever since I learned it, which is why it's taking me quite awhile to finish my newest jump video. It's taking even longer to finish my main tricking video. Over a year now, in fact, and I still have a lot more to go. Knowing what jumps you want to scrap takes time and experience, so it's ok if a couple filler jumps squeeze in here and there.


Editing
The editing in this video wasn't god awful, but it could stand some improvement. More than anything it felt rushed and sloppy to me. Like that pylon rubble on foundry. It kinda went to grayscale for a second, then sped up unnecessarily, then went in reverse... It was all over the place. You could have also trimmed quite a bit off of some clips. For instance, that rubble jump on Longshore to the window. You could have had the guy toss the grenade and jump, then edited in the landing in third person and called it a day.

More than anything, like I've said before, you want your editing to be very smooth and clean looking. Editing brings flow and style to your video. You never want to over edit something. Avoid adding flashes every couple seconds or going too crazy with slow-downs. You didn't do that here, but y'know, for future reference ^_^

The best thing to do is pick a good song right off the bat that you know you want to use, then tailor your video around it. Visualize how you want it to look. The most important aspect to editing, in my opinion, is a/v syncs. It's so simple and brings a great deal to a video. If you do a sick step stack and sync every grenade or rocket explosion with a drum beat, it adds a lot of style and makes the video that much more fun to watch. This is where you can add in subtle flashes or slow-downs or what have you, but you always want those additions to be subtle. Don't let them define your video.

You also need to spend a little more time on the intro and the credits. It's hard to put into words exactly how to improve on the intro and credits, but if you watch Origins or Novella or One For The Books, Shadows or LBYL3, that should give you an idea of how to improve on the intro and credits. You want them to be clean and smooth, just like the rest of the video. The most important lesson I can suggest is keeping the intro fairly short. This one dragged on for quite awhile. Like I said, just watch videos and get a good idea of what to do.


Filming
In my opinion, this may be the most important part of a video. Really, if you film something brilliantly, there's not a whole lot to improve on by the time you get to the editing stage. Then it could simply be a matter of just putting it all together (mostly). You want to spend a great deal of time on your filming. Look at all the possible angles. Maybe do something creative to transition from one jump to the next. Most of all you want the camera to be smooth. You want all the movements to be planned. You don't want to film 3/4 of a jump smoothly, then do a spastic move at the last second. Watch a lot of jumping videos to get a good idea of what filming should look like. It's hard to write it down, at least for me. Like I said before, you have to picture what you want your video to look like before you even start, then from there you can keep adding ideas, but you always want that original idea to remain.


The most important lesson of all is to take criticism well. You strike me as a younger person, and young people tend to over react or say mildly stupid things on the internet. I know I did. I look back on my old forum posts on speed demos archive for example and I cringe. It's virtually unavoidable, but you have to learn how to bite your tongue.

It's worth remembering that you can't appeal to all standards. Some people are going to like your video. Then some people are going to hate it for no reason at all, or some people will criticize your video harshly. It's a fine line, but it's pretty easy to judge where a person is coming from if you stop and think about it. You absolutely have to listen to that person who is being hard on you. You can't snap back at them. They're trying to help in their own way. Sometimes people just can't be really nice about it. You'll find the more you listen, the more you improve from one video to the next.


That's all I can think of. Hope all of that helps XD



Holy posts batman... Talk about keyboard dedication slYnki <3

Last edited by nate pahlow; 12-09-2010 at 03:38 PM. .

  #29  
Old   
myRLSisFamous's Avatar
myRLSisFamous Offline
 
Posts: 57
Join Date: Sep 2010
12-09-2010 , 03:53 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by XEPICXJumper View Post
Lol no one really "Helps me out" except for skulk but he jumps on reach, all the other jumpers dislike me or find my videos Horrific
i <3 you mah nigga ( Like i told you i would of gave you some jumps i was saving ) But add some more jumpers on xbl.

  #30  
Old   
slYnki's Avatar
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB
 
Posts: 7,488
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Try and catch me
12-09-2010 , 09:04 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by ILJoshNgton View Post
why slynki why? lol
I don't see a reason not to.


http://comicflop.blogspot.com/

My comedy blog. Under construction.

  #31  
Old   
Alec Bounces's Avatar
Alec Bounces Offline
 
Posts: 513
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: houston
12-09-2010 , 09:06 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
I don't see a reason not to.
I think he meant because you post alot of words which I personaly don't have a problem with. The more detailed opinion the better.

  #32  
Old   
Insetik 47's Avatar
Insetik 47 Offline
 
Posts: 560
Join Date: Mar 2006
12-09-2010 , 09:47 PM


Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki
Long response
Oh, it's on!

*Rolls up sleeves*

*Types eight page essay over a jump video*

*Posts it*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEPICXJumper View Post
Lol no one really "Helps me out" except for skulk but he jumps on reach, all the other jumpers dislike me or find my videos Horrific
Personally, I'd just look for someone to help with the editing first. Maybe for the next video, edit a few jumps like we'd see them in the video, then send that to someone to look over. If they say "don't show the whole jump from one different angle, cut it here and show the 2nd part from the 2nd angle" then that would help cut down on a lot of repetition. I mean, finding jumps is really the heart of making a jump video, but your editing needs more work than your jump-finding skills. I guess it looks like I'm pointing at myself here, but really, anyone who is not in your clan and has a decent grasp at editing can work.

  #33  
Old   
Exercy's Avatar
Exercy Offline
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Jul 2010
12-09-2010 , 10:08 PM


EPIC. I'll help you out too.. I think your already on my friendslist but if you removed me for some reason then add me back if you wanna. I'll be willing to pitch in.
And yes Nate is just trying to make all of us reply and tell him he's a god. So LOL to u Nate. So yea hit me up EPIC

Exercy

  #34  
Old   
nate pahlow's Avatar
nate pahlow Offline
 
Posts: 396
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: If you wont die for me, you will die because of me.
Send a message via AIM to nate pahlow
12-09-2010 , 10:19 PM


I'm really glad the community is willing to help Epic out! Great job everyone, maby the Grinch wont steal Christmas!

And for Exercy: You just mad because I didn't invite you... :p

  #35  
Old   
Skulk's Avatar
Skulk Offline
 
Posts: 974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clan: Exposure
12-09-2010 , 10:50 PM


Epic, I'm going to download your video and do some touch up re-editing and post it in this thread so you can kind of get an idea of what people are saying about flow with the jumps.

Tip about taking critisism: I figured this out by myself just from experience. While reading comments on YouTube/HIH/H3F or wherever you may post your video, you will come across comments that say "nice vid" and "not bad" or maybe a "fun watch." Ignor these comments. You will also see comments like "this is bad" or "needs work" or "this sucks." Ignor those comments too. Obviously there are exceptions, but unless you know the people who posted them, these comments aren't worth paying attention to, just a post count boost. Then you will come across comments that make you angry. Not irrationaly angry, just bothered. You feel like you should reply to the comment and defend yourself, but don't. If you feel that way towards the comment, it means they are right. Period. A good example of this: some kid commented on Novella saying the intro is boring and too long. Without thinking about it, I replied saying something trying to sound intelligent and making him feel like I knew more about it than him and he has no right to criticise. After reading over his and my comments, I realized that he is right, the intro is only entertaining if you focus on editing and music. Without those aspects, its boring as schlapskie. I plan to think about that in my next video. If it isn't crazy short, it should be fun to watch. Anyway, you have to learn how to read comments and take out what is useful. And you have to have a decent eye for editing which I'm working on.

SUPER EDITING HINT: After about 1:30 of video edited, stop. Render what you have so far. Take notes while you watch and find exactly what you don't absolutely love about it, and either take that out or fix it. Do that over and over, watching each little clip 5 or 6 times. Do that for every minute and a half of video. Don't be afraid to scrap a clip and start over, especially on jumping videos, it doesn't take THAT long to edit them.

SUPER AWESOME EDITING HINT: No one wants to watch the same jump over and over again. Watch some of the better videos and pay attention to when jumps are started/stopped. If you could watch a jump and know exactly what happened, don't play it again. Ever. Just because you think a jump is good doesn't mean you should play it again. Replays absolutely RUIN the flow of the video unless it is from a different angle and edited very well. If you don't have enough clips to fit your song, pick a new song or edit your song to fit your clips. You should never add fluff to a video.

Most importantly, make things that you would want to watch. You are smart enough to tell if your video is good or not. Watch your final video and try to look at it like you haven't just watched it 634 times while editing. If you aren't proud of your work, people notice. Trust me.

  #36  
Old   
Skulk's Avatar
Skulk Offline
 
Posts: 974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clan: Exposure
12-10-2010 , 04:44 PM


Josh is right. And Epic, just so you know, your invitation to MC is still there. We are renaming the clan btw.

  #37  
Old   
Exercy's Avatar
Exercy Offline
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Jul 2010
12-10-2010 , 07:17 PM


I've never played with Joshy here, so I cant really say anything really. But to make this bull schlapskie end, I say whoever wants to help EPIC should, and whoever doesnt want to help him progress as a jumper should just sit back and not criticise the people who are helping him out. EPIC didnt ask for our help. A few of us jumpers came to him wanting to help him out because we believe he has potential. So if you dont want to help him, then thats fine, it just seems like pretty cool thing to do. So thanks to the people who will help EPIC out. And to those who dont, its fine too.... Whatever happens, happens...

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Skin modified for HIH by Ducain


HIH : Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 forum, fansite, tricks, glitches, and videos - Privacy Statement - Top
no new posts