Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo 1 and 2 Forum Halo 1 Campaign and Multiplayer Tricks and Glitches
Halo 1 Campaign and Multiplayer Tricks and Glitches All tricks and eggs related to Halo 1 only can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
Rockslider Offline

Tag bang launch method - 12-15-2010 , 01:49 PM

I'm not sure if this is going to be new but I haven't seen it in any vids and I've done some searching too, so here goes. It's a way of using frozen personnel to obtain concentrated plasma grenade explosions.

Consider those frozen Elites from my Elite fireworks stuff. If you tag one with lots of plasmas (potentially making trips to other parts of the level to get them) then kill him non-explosively, then cross a release plane, he'll drop and the plasmas will start going off after a delay of anything up to about 2.4 seconds, depending on how many you used - up to a limit of 61. If you made sure the plasmas will be under a vehicle or Shade (he'll conveniently fall through things), it's potentially going to go flying - possibly with yourself or Marines if that's what you want. So there's your launch method. It should work with any frozen personnel I think - they're all explosions waiting to happen - but with those particular Elites it's obviously useful that you can arrange where they'll be. You could use both at once to get as many as 122 plasmas going off (well, I haven't checked but I think it'll be ok), and there's also the possibility of using some other explosion method in tandem.

On the down side, I don't think you'll be able to get a checkpoint just before launch. Once there's at least one plasma on your grenade holder, I don't think the game will give you a checkpont anywhere, even in another loading zone. That would make the method daunting for launches where you'd expect to need a lot of attempts and a lot of work amassing enough grenades each time.

If this method hasn't been exploited before, I thought maybe it could lead to some new launching in single-player. Things previously only done in co-op perhaps, because of the comparative difficulty of assembling large grenade piles. I was wondering about using it to get the Scorpion over the underpass in AOTCR, where you normally have to abandon it. Was that ever done in single-player?

In some cases you could set off the tag bang by crossing a horizontal release plane high up in a Banshee. This sort of remote detonation could allow you to get some nice video footage of your payload sailing by, but it might also be useful in giving you a chance to divert its course, bumping into it or whatever. The tag bang could also just be used as a detonator for a conventional grenade pile. Just some ideas.

Old   
ViviD Offline

12-16-2010 , 11:37 PM

I've been thinking about doing this since you posted your videos last week. Haven't tried it yet, but the idea of not being able to get checkpoints while doing this is a little discouraging. Btw, I'm pretty sure Slynki launched the Scorpion over that barrier in sp.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

12-17-2010 , 03:10 AM

I never did it in single player, but I launched it over in co-op, with the help of a dropship. Ms. Man on the other hand just overloaded the area and drove it right in. It shouldn't be too hard to get over in single player. You'd be surprised how light a tank turns with a PFR and a massive grenade pile.

As for this launching method, checkpoints are definitely a concern. If they weren't, it would be fun to see a launch done with this. If someone does find a way to get a checkpoint with all those grenades and attempts a launch, take it from me, you're going to want to start simple. Launch to the bridge or the banshee pillar. If you start thinking about redirecting hogs in mid-air, good on you for thinking creatively, but you're in for a world of hurt trying to set it up.

http://comicflop.blogspot.com/

My comedy blog. Under construction.

Old   
Rockslider Offline

12-19-2010 , 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViviD View Post
I've been thinking about doing this since you posted your videos last week.
Bravo. I wondered if anyone would pick up on the potential. There are quite a few practical details I didn't go into, but I'm currently writing things up for my site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
I never did it in single player, but I launched it over in co-op, with the help of a dropship.
Sounds intriguing. Can you give me a link?

Quote:
Ms. Man on the other hand just overloaded the area and drove it right in.
I've found it at 3:31 in his System Overload video (available in his archive). No tree in the way, and no rocks! By the way, if you get the Wraith past [EDIT: I meant Scorpion], can it be driven up the short zig-zag path or is that another problem?

Quote:
If you start thinking about redirecting hogs in mid-air, good on you for thinking creatively, but you're in for a world of hurt trying to set it up.
Hah, I wasn't about to get into that myself. It was just a possibility I thought I'd mention in case anyone more expert cares to try putting things into practice.

I have a question. With this launch method the grenades will be going off individually in quick succession I believe. Is that different from how a grenade pile works?

Last edited by Rockslider; 12-21-2010 at 06:36 AM. . Reason: Inexplicably said 'Wraith' when I meant 'Scorpion'.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

12-21-2010 , 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
Sounds intriguing. Can you give me a link?
The launching fun starts at 3:20. I never recorded myself driving up and over, but the tank did land over there at some point and I drove it over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider
By the way, if you get the Wraith past, can it be driven up the short zig-zag path or is that another problem?
Well, you can't drive wraiths first of all (:P), but you may be able to push it up with a banshee.

Quote:
I have a question. With this launch method the grenades will be going off individually in quick succession I believe. Is that different from how a grenade pile works?
Depends on the size. Most grenade piles will explode all at once, but when you start building enormous grenade piles, there will be like 5 or 6 explosions instead of one big bang. Like when I built that 250 grenade pile to get the tank to the banshee pillar, in the raw footage, you can very clearly hear like 8 explosions.

Old   
Rockslider Offline

12-21-2010 , 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
The launching fun starts at 3:20.
In which movie? You forgot to give me the actual link I think.

Quote:
Well, you can't drive wraiths first of all (:P), but you may be able to push it up with a banshee.
I've no idea how I managed to say 'Wraith'. I meant Scorpion. Can you drive the Scorpion up the short zig-zag path.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

12-21-2010 , 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
In which movie? You forgot to give me the actual link I think.
What the heck... Ah well, here's the link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-2DVOYExTE

Quote:
I've no idea how I managed to say 'Wraith'. I meant Scorpion. Can you drive the Scorpion up the short zig-zag path.
It's tricky, but I remember being able to do it.