Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite Halo 1 and 2 Forum Halo 1 Campaign and Multiplayer Tricks and Glitches
Halo 1 Campaign and Multiplayer Tricks and Glitches All tricks and eggs related to Halo 1 only can be posted in this forum.
Notices

Old   
grumpy Offline

02-20-2011 , 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonopoly View Post
I just turned off my box, but I will try again.
Yeah man, take some time off, the trick isn't going anywhere. You have more confidence than me, I would have let my 360 explode before turning it off but nobody has ever accused me of being smart.

Old   
Lone Starr Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lone StarrSend a message via MSN to Lone StarrSend a message via Skype™ to Lone Starr
02-20-2011 , 07:01 PM

Quote:
I just turned off my box, but I will try again. If anybody has any ideas to make my setup better, please tell me.
Have you tried something with a balanced hog yet? Maybe you should have one hog balanced, and the other hog right next to it so you hit the balanced hog, then land on top of the other one that isn't. So it looks kinda like this:

Sorry about the really bad drawing... xD

Old   
MrMonopoly Offline

02-20-2011 , 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Starr View Post
Have you tried something with a balanced hog yet? Maybe you should have one hog balanced, and the other hog right next to it so you hit the balanced hog, then land on top of the other one that isn't. So it looks kinda like this:

Sorry about the really bad drawing... xD
I like that idea a lot... that is probably what I will do next.

Old   
laser Offline

02-20-2011 , 09:32 PM

The drawing is fine.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

02-21-2011 , 01:02 AM

Haha, if the balanced hog idea works, I'm totally gonna say I told you so, Starr :D

http://comicflop.blogspot.com/

My comedy blog. Under construction.

Old   
Ms. Man Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ms. Man
02-21-2011 , 01:11 AM

why just 1 balanced hog? balance them both!

Old   
Lone Starr Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lone StarrSend a message via MSN to Lone StarrSend a message via Skype™ to Lone Starr
02-21-2011 , 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
Haha, if the balanced hog idea works, I'm totally gonna say I told you so, Starr :D
Well, you can't get in a balanced hog. It made more sense to have the hog flat to start with, and then change it up if that didn't work.

You might want to try what Ms. Man said, and balance both the hogs. In fact I like that idea better than the one I was talking about in my last post. You'll have a bigger target to hit, and if it fails at least we'll know that balancing the hogs doesn't work either.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

02-21-2011 , 03:00 AM

Yeah, he already said he'd give the two balanced hogs a shot. Balance them in a "V", which I never thought of. I'm pretty sure there's enough room for two hogs side by side. That would be lame if the grenade for the second hog pushed the first hog off the tower, or if the blue beam messed it all up.

I'm sure the balanced hogs will work, because it's going to be just like hitting a wall. If you hit it just right, it should stop all your momentum and you should land nicely on the tower. You may have to have the perfect crouch, but I'm confident it's possible without. And of course you can get in a balanced hog, you just have to flip it first. Mashing X when you're sailing towards the tower isn't such a bad idea =D

Unless of course you hit the hog dead-on and die instantly, then this is probably impossible. But if it works, I'll be so happy to see this launch landed after all the effort that's been put into it.

Old   
-=MaToR=- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -=MaToR=-Send a message via MSN to -=MaToR=-Send a message via Yahoo to -=MaToR=-
02-22-2011 , 07:24 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to think that it is not possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1912i_3nrYc

The "hold x..." screen that popped up was for a plasma pistol :/
How can you start to think it's not possible when you've gotten a schlapskieload closer than everyone else has?

Seriously! You're so friggin close! Now is the time NOT to give up, unless you want someone to come around and do the exact same thing you did, only grinding it down for longer!

And why turn of the xbox'z? Can't you just like, leave it on for a couple years or so? :D

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

02-22-2011 , 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slYnki View Post
Unless of course you hit the hog dead-on and die instantly, then this is probably impossible.
Does anybody know if you take any kind of damage (either partial or fatal) from moving very, very fast horizontally/diagonally? And doesn't moving very fast horizontally slow down your fall so you wouldn't take damage.

In the last video, I'm pretty sure he hit the top of the tower before hitting the Warthog.

Old   
uberfoop Offline

02-22-2011 , 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King View Post
Does anybody know if you take any kind of damage (either partial or fatal) from moving very, very fast horizontally/diagonally?
You do not.

Quote:
And doesn't moving very fast horizontally slow down your fall so you wouldn't take damage.
Moving fast horizontally has no effect on vertical motion component in and of itself; the point of moving fast horizontally is to make it so that you don't need as much launch height.

The point of striking a slope is to revector your motion more horizontally, reducing the vertical component.
Which, considering the angle, makes me wonder if it might be ideal to actually do something like strike a hog windshield backwards.

Erm... like this:

Might be too steep for that, though. I dunno.

And I guess actual aiming is obscenely difficult to begin with.

Old   
Lone Starr Offline

02-22-2011 , 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfoop View Post
Yeah, that's basically what I drew in that pick two posts up (not as well as that though). Hitting the parked hog first might work too.

Idk, I say give both hogs balanced a try first though.

Old   
Ms. Man Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ms. Man
02-23-2011 , 10:19 AM

Might be a huge pain. I don't recall how many nades it takes to launch an intact banshee, but the wingspan on that is pretty wide and "V" like. I also remember it being easy to balance them on their backs. Just an idea.

And just a request... if this is also too hard to do don't worry about it. I always like to see the launch from the other players point of view. It'd be pretty sick if he was using a sniper riffle to zoom in on the landing area.

Old   
Orange Soda King Offline
Mongolian Contortionist

02-23-2011 , 12:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that horizontal motion has something to do with vertical motion! Have you noticed every time you try to launch on top of the blue beam tower, if you hit it, it slows your upward motion down and often times you don't make it to the top, whereas you would have made it had you not hit the side of the tower?

Old   
Ducain Offline
Ahhhhh....yeeeaaahhhh

02-23-2011 , 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Man View Post
Might be a huge pain. I don't recall how many nades it takes to launch an intact banshee, but the wingspan on that is pretty wide and "V" like. I also remember it being easy to balance them on their backs. Just an idea.

And just a request... if this is also too hard to do don't worry about it. I always like to see the launch from the other players point of view. It'd be pretty sick if he was using a sniper riffle to zoom in on the landing area.
I think that's a great idea. Much larger surface area than a hog, and lots of sloped angles. Just might work.

Ducain - HIH Admin - Ducain@gmail.com

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

02-23-2011 , 05:04 PM

A balanced banshee isn't too shabby of an idea. The only downsides I can think of is that it would take a little more time to set up (actually getting it, then pushing the damn thing from the first area all the way to the second), and use up a few more grenades. But if there's grenades to spare, it's a really good idea. If you do balance a banshee, make sure to balance it so the driver's seat of the banshee is facing you. It would be a shame to hit the top or "front" of the banshee and be directed off the tower because of a sloped surface. If that happened to me, I would make the effort to take my xbox to the top of a skyscraper just so it would fall further when I throw it off.

Old   
Rockslider Offline

02-26-2011 , 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to think that it is not possible...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1912i_3nrYc
I've just taken a look at that 'OMG' vid and see that you're trying to get cushioned by a hog. I was doing this in an AOTCR bridge descent method in BCM11, and a few thoughts cross my mind which I'll throw out to all concerned.

(1) I felt that the back half of the side was the friendliest place to hit (see the first few drops starting at 2:04), but there were times when I was freakily stopped instantly on impact with the middle of the side, not even bouncing off, which could be useful for staying on the tower (but I guess the second hog could be used to stop you after a bounce). For anyone with a PAL Xbox (so you can survive to the ledge), it might be worthwhile practicing that descent method to get experience of being cushioned by a hog.

(2) Uberfoop talked about striking a slope to reduce the vertical component of the arrival velocity (as I understand it), but in BCM11 my vertical arrival speed was pretty high and I was surviving fine. I'm not sure how that speed compares with the vertical arrival speed in the T2T trajectory (hard to judge visually because of the much higher horizontal speed in the latter), but if you think it's actually no more than my speed, it would indicate that there's no need to try and modify the arrival direction.

(3) I see some talk about crouching, but on my impacts I wasn't crouching. I did some testing and couldn't detect any benefit to it. So maybe it's best to just concentrate on hitting where you want.

(4) I also see talk about hitting the X button to try and board as you arrive. That was originally how I thought I might be able to land using the hog, but I never got it to work. Has anyone got practical experience of such a thing actually working in some situation, saving you from otherwise near-certain death, or is it actually just a myth? I'm wondering if it's even possible to board before the impact occurs.

Putting all that lot together and addressing MrMonopoly in particular, I'd say keep trying but aim for the back half of the hog's side, and don't bother with crouching or trying to board.

Old   
grumpy Offline

02-26-2011 , 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslider View Post
(3) I see some talk about crouching, but on my impacts I wasn't crouching. I did some testing and couldn't detect any benefit to it. So maybe it's best to just concentrate on hitting where you want.
Will meleeing as you hit the Hog do anything in H1?

Old   
Fixious Offline

Send a message via AIM to FixiousSend a message via MSN to FixiousSend a message via Yahoo to Fixious
02-26-2011 , 04:04 PM

I've always found crouching to decrease damage on impact. Perhaps it's different for horizontal approaches, however.

Old   
Rockslider Offline

02-26-2011 , 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Will meleeing as you hit the Hog do anything in H1?
Not that I'm aware of. I forget whether I've heard that idea before. I've seen someone suggesting that switching weapons while looking down will reduce fall damage (see Breakdown in this 2005 thread), but again, I can't vouch for that. I'd want to see some careful testing before I'd believe either of these notions.