Go Back   High Impact Halo Forum and Fansite High Speed Halo High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community
High Speed Halo - Halo Speedrun Community The ultimate site for Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 speed runs.
Notices

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

Pillar of Autumn in 4:00 minutes - Segmented - WIP - 02-08-2011 , 05:04 PM

( WIP = Work in progress )

As the title says, this is played on Heroic difficulty and it's a segmented run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Nhtoh8kH0

Incase you don't know, heroic is the fastest difficulty for this level. On Easy and Normal you can't skip the cryo chamber sequence, and on Legendary, well, it's Legendary...

So for a long time, the big challenge was to see who could bring Pillar of Autumn under 4:10 on heroic. Over time people began to wonder if the level could ever be brought under 4 minutes. I began to wonder about this myself randomly the other day, so I gave the level a whirl. You may be happy to know that it's perfectly possible to bring this level below 4 minutes.

I say this is a work in progress, partly because I'm far from done with this level, but mostly because I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this run. Reason being, I have a few more tricks up my sleeve for this level to bring it under 4 minutes that I can't show you right away. There is one little trick that has never been used, seen or suggested in a PoA speedrun before that I utilize in this run. It's difficult to describe exactly what it is, but you'll know it when you see it. It'll be the point in the run where you will probably go, "Wait, what?"

Other than that little trick, if I ran this level with all my precious secret tricks, I'd spoil the big surprise that I'm hoping will be revealed to you all soon! When that project finally is released, you can expect a new PoA speedrun with a time around 3:56. Until then, do enjoy this run!

http://comicflop.blogspot.com/

My comedy blog. Under construction.

Old   
ExtremeYoshiFan Offline

02-08-2011 , 05:14 PM

Wow, that was beautifully executed. So smooth, everything came together so well. Your route looks perfect. Now if only it was Single Segment.

Still, I don't think I know what the trick was. Was it the awkward cutscene trigger?

Last edited by ExtremeYoshiFan; 02-09-2011 at 08:34 PM. .

Old   
N8ked Eli Offline

02-09-2011 , 05:28 PM

well done sir

Old   
chase17 Offline

02-09-2011 , 08:29 PM

what is the shortcut

Old   
Cody Miller Offline
Welcome to Cody

02-09-2011 , 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase17 View Post
what is the shortcut
It's clever, and one of those 'why didn't I think of it first' moments. I imagine he wants to keep it secret so it debuts with the segmented run.

Old   
RC Master Offline

02-09-2011 , 09:51 PM

Yeah, my knowledge of running PoA in Halo 1 is super-basic. I honestly don't know what this shortcut is.

Please educate us dummies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Miller View Post
It's clever, and one of those 'why didn't I think of it first' moments. I imagine he wants to keep it secret so it debuts with the segmented run.
But its already in the run somewhere?
Quote:
There is one little trick that has never been used, seen or suggested in a PoA speedrun before that I utilize in this run

Old   
ExtremeYoshiFan Offline

02-09-2011 , 10:26 PM

I want to know so badly. I don't see it. None of us do. Although I can tell that when we are told we will certainly react with a "why didn't I think of that?"

Old   
Muzza Offline

02-10-2011 , 12:00 AM

I thought you were talking about Reach and I was like thats impossible!

Old   
ferlodergarnil Offline

02-10-2011 , 12:45 AM

Did that frag go under the staircase?

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

02-10-2011 , 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeYoshiFan View Post
Wow, that was beautifully executed. So smooth, everything came together so well. Your route looks perfect. Now if only it was Single Segment.

Still, I don't think I know what the trick was. Was it the awkward cutscene trigger?
I plan on submitting a pretty damn good single segment run of this level in the future, amongst many other new records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli
well done sir
Thanks, bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza
I thought you were talking about Reach and I was like thats impossible!

Hahaha, no way, though now I'm tempted to take a look at that level again now. Since we're on the subject of Reach, I would very much like to do a segmented run of ONI: Sword Base, just to see what the level would look like completely optimized. I think I should make that a fun little side project for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferloder
Did that frag go under the staircase?
FERLODER! It's entirely possible the frag went there. I'm not really sure where it lands.

And I have no problems revealing the shortcut. It's so small I don't mind. But the other shortcut is going to stay secret until the big project is released. So as for what the shortcut is, start watching the run 3:10 into the video. The trick happens at 3:16-3:19. Watch how fast the door opens =)

Right at 3:17, you'll notice the video "skip" a little, then immediately there's a nav point on the door. After you kill the three grunts, you get a checkpoint. If you are standing at the right spot in that long hallway when you get the checkpoint, then revert to save, you skip a few seconds of dialog and the door opens faster. In a single segment run you would see the runner revert to save, but in a segmented run, it's simply the beginning of a new segment, so it looks like the door opens almost instantly. Handy little trick that saves a few precious seconds. Before you ask, I found it completely by accident while working on another segmented run of this level :P

Old   
ExtremeYoshiFan Offline

02-10-2011 , 06:59 PM

I can't wait to see what else you have planned. It will be amazing.

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

02-11-2011 , 02:55 AM

It isn't just me =)

Old   
LotsofLuck Offline
Take No Prisoners

Send a message via AIM to LotsofLuckSend a message via Skype™ to LotsofLuck
02-11-2011 , 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDA

Ready for update: 14
Arg, like a month ago that was 12...

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

02-11-2011 , 01:38 PM

They're a busy bunch over there. At least everything has been submitted properly and they have all the necessary files. That knowledge makes waiting much easier.

Old   
goatrope Offline
Yes?

Send a message via MSN to goatrope
02-13-2011 , 04:26 PM

Are you going to pop out with the cryo tube and ceiling hop to skip an area like in the current Maw runs?

Old   
LDG Offline

02-16-2011 , 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrope View Post
Are you going to pop out with the cryo tube and ceiling hop to skip an area like in the current Maw runs?
this sounds awsome, I hope that is it

Old   
slYnki Offline
XXYBLB

02-16-2011 , 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrope View Post
Maybe...